Under Gear Delrin

Started by JC, March 14, 2015, 11:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

Hello,

Sorry if I'm asking a question that's been answered already. I've looked all over and can't find what the width of the under gear delrin washer should be. I have a 113h with the ht-100 drag setup. I would be replacing Penn part 4-349. Could someone please let me know? Thanks in advance for the feedback and thanks to everyone posting all this useful info on here.

-Jeremy

Alto Mare

Hello Jeremy, the Delrin/Acetal is still a new product here, well not to me, but to many yes.
I usually cut them 1/8" smaller than the main gear OD. Some believe that they will interfere with the dogs, I personally don't.
I actually believe they help.
Good luck!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JC

Thanks for the quick reply, Sal. I've read few of your blogs about the delrin washer and you definitely have me intrigued. I may have phrased my question wrong. I think I should have asked what the height of the washers are. I followed a link you had posted on an earlier post to the McMaster website: http://www.mcmaster.com/#acetal-homopolymer-sheets/=waywpt. There are many different heights available. Which one would be closest to replacing 4-349. I was also wondering if grease should be applied to the delrin before installing? Thank again.

Alto Mare

Jeremy, the .31" gets you close to the original, but the .20" lowers the gear a little, a good thing is you want a little more travel with the star. The size difference is so little that it really doesn't matter much, it's just personal preference.
Try these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2636T14

Just as good as the Black, but might be a little easier to punch or cut. I like them both, Black and Brown.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JC

Excellent! Thank you. I'm a newbie so I'm sure I'll be asking some more questions in the future.

Cheers!

Tiddlerbasher

Sal - not to be picky but - shouldn't that read .013" and .020" ;)

Tiddlerbasher

Whoops that should have read .031" ::)

Alto Mare

Not picky at all, you are correct .031" and .020".
Thanks for correcting me ;).

Sal

Keta

JC, the term is thick.

Tiddler, Yes, .031" (.87mm) and .020" (.6mm) thick...think metric.

I've been cutting some washers the major OD and some the minor OD of the gear sleeve and so far have not seen problems with restricting the AR dogs.   I put 3 .020" (.6mm) Delrin washers in my narrowed 113H and the washer between the star and the spacer makes the star turn much smoother/easier. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Newell Nut

Since this thread is mainly about Delrin I have to mention my Newell experience. Even though .031" thick delrin is close to original, I find that using the .020" thick delrin under the gear and on top of the stack allows for a nice fit with the system binding on the side plate. The OD that I use successfully is the same OD as the Drag Washer and have no dog problem with this size.

I think this kind of follows Sal's experiences.

Keta

Properly made AR dogs are thinner than the "gear" of a gear sleeve and there is plenty of clearance.  I tried to bind AR dogs with delrin  washers but failed every time.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Lee -it seems to be my day for corrections ::)

.031"=.79mm
.020=.51

Both rounded to 2 decimal places.

Keta

I rounded the other direction and missed up on the .020".  I hate conversion, think metric.  To be correct (I cheated and looked it up)  .020=.508mm and .035"=.889mm.

Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

I still work in both systems but I prefer metric - it's more straight forward

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on March 14, 2015, 02:35:22 PM
I still work in both systems but I prefer metric - it's more straight forward

1000 is much easier than 5280.

Mark Twain