Make Acid/Spiral wrap on regular rod ?

Started by Drisse, March 16, 2015, 11:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hi !

I have a 3piece Okuma Cortez travelrod and I wonder if its possible to make an Acid/Spiral wrap on it. It seems easy, since there's only 2 guides on the second (middle) piece and one guide on the third (top piece) that need to be changed. So rewrap those three guides and then flip the top section so the guides points down. Will this work or I change the blank performance since the blank spine is already choosen ?

Tiddlerbasher

Just re-wrap the top guide on bottom section and first guide on the top section. Offset each one by 60 degrees. Starting with butt ring at 0, 1st ring at 60. Then, on the top section, the first ring by 60. That will give an effective 60 degree stagger - 0 - 60 - 120 - 180 (for the rest of the top rings). The top section is fitted at 60 degree offset. Spiral clockwise for a lefthand crank - counter clockwise for righthand crank. Most 'mass produced' rods aren't properly splined to start off with so I think the spline will make little differece. I've attached a link to a useful jig that can help to get the angles right. If you know someone with a printer capable of printing on a cd you can print the degree wheel on the cd - it's a lot more robust than a piece of paper - adjust the hole size (file or step drill) to suite the rod diameter. e.g.:

Link courtesy of Acidrod:
http://www.acidrod.com/files/degreewheel_wInstructions.pdf

Reel 224

Another suggestion after printing the Layout/Degree Wheel on paper. Laminate it and it should last just as long, that's if you don't have access to a flat bead printer or plotter. The print out is much larger then a DVD disc so you also have to down size it for plotting.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tiddlerbasher

Another plain degree wheel suitable for printing. These are useful where any circular angle finder is required. The printer I use is nothing fancy it's a budget All-In-One Canon Pixma with the cd print option less than 100$. You can also print onto suitable plastic sheet. If there is enough interest I'll print some for the forum members and mail them over (I'd mail them to one person for redistribution). Let me know! I use cds for printing when i need something that is stiff and resilient ;D

Drisse

Thanks alot for great info :) Will try this and see what I think of Spiral wrap. The Okuma rod is for codfishing in Norway. If I like it, the next rod that gets a spiral wrap is a 80lbs blank for heavier fishing.