Tungsten Disulfide

Started by Pro Reel, November 26, 2010, 10:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Ditto that.  Thanks for the possible source.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel 224

Back with some news, I found a source for the Tungsten Disulfide at Amazon....For $11.95 1oz bottle. I have mixed it with 321 and applied it with a Syringe directly to the Spool bushings in my Surfmaster 200. I'm not totally convinced that the mix has made any difference in the spools free spin time at all. I will have to see how the reel casts with a full load of line and some weight, so far I do not believe there is any significant difference.

Something else that I have noticed about the characteristic of TD and oil, the TD does not stay suspended in the oil unless it is re-agitated. So my theory is if the reel is idle for any length of time the TD can separate from the oil causing it to be none effective.

TD=Tungsten Disulfide:   

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

SteveL

I found a website that sells Tungsten Disulfide powder as well as aerosol cans:
http://www.lowerfriction.com/product-page.php?categoryID=23

On their page regarding the powder, this is what it said about application:

Two established ways the WS2 powder can be used are:

1) Mixing the WS2 powder with wet lubricants (such as oil, grease & other synthetic lubricants):
The powder can be mixed 1wt% to 15wt% (as required) with grease or oil. This will enhance lubricity of the mixture and also improves High Temperature and Extreme Pressure properties of mixture. During the use, WS2 in the mixture will get coated on mating/moving parts, which in turn reduces friction and improves lubricity and load bearing ability for much longer cycles.

2) Coating the WS2 powder on a substrate requiring (dry) lubricity:
The powder can be coated by spraying (at 120 psi) the substrate with dry (& cool) pneumatic air. It does not require any binders and spraying can be done at normal room temperature. Coated film will be 0.5 micron thick. In an alternative application method, the powder can also be mixed with Isopropyl alcohol and this paste could be buffed to the substrate. The coating applications are already established in many areas such as Automotive parts, Racing Car Engine and other parts, Aerospace parts, Bearings (Linear, Ball, Roller etc), Shafts, Marine parts, Cutting Tools, Blades, Slitters, Knives, Mold release, Precision Gears, Valve components, Pistons, Chains, Machinery components and many other areas.

Reel 224

Quote from: SteveL on August 24, 2015, 05:04:40 PM
I found a website that sells Tungsten Disulfide powder as well as aerosol cans:
http://www.lowerfriction.com/product-page.php?categoryID=23

On their page regarding the powder, this is what it said about application:

Two established ways the WS2 powder can be used are:

1) Mixing the WS2 powder with wet lubricants (such as oil, grease & other synthetic lubricants):
The powder can be mixed 1wt% to 15wt% (as required) with grease or oil. This will enhance lubricity of the mixture and also improves High Temperature and Extreme Pressure properties of mixture. During the use, WS2 in the mixture will get coated on mating/moving parts, which in turn reduces friction and improves lubricity and load bearing ability for much longer cycles.

2) Coating the WS2 powder on a substrate requiring (dry) lubricity:
The powder can be coated by spraying (at 120 psi) the substrate with dry (& cool) pneumatic air. It does not require any binders and spraying can be done at normal room temperature. Coated film will be 0.5 micron thick. In an alternative application method, the powder can also be mixed with Isopropyl alcohol and this paste could be buffed to the substrate. The coating applications are already established in many areas such as Automotive parts, Racing Car Engine and other parts, Aerospace parts, Bearings (Linear, Ball, Roller etc), Shafts, Marine parts, Cutting Tools, Blades, Slitters, Knives, Mold release, Precision Gears, Valve components, Pistons, Chains, Machinery components and many other areas.

I did follow those instructions as required for oil, in a smaller quantity but using there mixing formula. My feelings thus far are the same. I see no significant change in the free spool rotation time.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

Tungsten Disulfide does not increase the lubricity of the oil it increases the shear strength of the oil film. It is used mostly in high load applications to keep two pieces of metal separated under high load & high shear situations.

Reel 224

Quote from: RowdyW on August 24, 2015, 06:35:41 PM
Tungsten Disulfide does not increase the lubricity of the oil it increases the shear strength of the oil film. It is used mostly in high load applications to keep two pieces of metal separated under high load & high shear situations.

That being the case, then I suppose it doesn't matter as far as free spool is concerned but originally it was presented to help make things slip better and faster or longer as in rotation of the spool, no big deal on my part, it was an $12.00 experiment. I assume it will help with the wear factor.

Joe 

RowdyW

Joe, a good application would be to mix it with marine grease for use on gears & bushings. Gears in a reel at times work at extreme pressure.    RUDY

Reel 224

Quote from: RowdyW on August 25, 2015, 06:11:13 AM
Joe, a good application would be to mix it with marine grease for use on gears & bushings. Gears in a reel at times work at extreme pressure.    RUDY

I can do that with the new SS gear set that I have coming from Pro Chalange Alan C. That may also quiet them, as I have heard that the SS gears are a bit noisy. Thanks for the tip Rudy.

Joe

RowdyW

Joe, at least you will have a use for that $11.95 supply of TS & it won't go to waste. Mix some up & put it in a marked container and it should last you a long time. As far as the advise to use sparingly I would give it a good coating as any excess will squezze out & not cause any problem.   RUDY

Reel 224

Quote from: RowdyW on August 25, 2015, 02:02:00 PM
Joe, at least you will have a use for that $11.95 supply of TS & it won't go to waste. Mix some up & put it in a marked container and it should last you a long time. As far as the advise to use sparingly I would give it a good coating as any excess will squezze out & not cause any problem.   RUDY

Appreciated.

Joe

mrmike

Attached is a document from the U.S. Interior department which discusses the potential for Molybdenum Disulfide, Tungsten Disulfide and Graphite use in preventing the attachment of zebra and quagga mussels from attaching to submerged infrastructure. While mussels are definitely a concern where I fish I was primarily interested in understanding the properties of these compounds as related to lubricants for tackle. I don't pretend to understand all of the science or terminology but a couple of things were of interest and I thought I'd share it with you all and see what you made of it. I've highlighted sections I thought most pertinent to this discussion so you all don't have to read all 14 pages (unless you're a night owl like me). One section talks about how the coefficient of friction is affected by moisture. With graphite friction actually decreases with moisture while the opposite is true of moly and tungsten. These tests were on the compounds alone without any additives.  Based on this it may be necessary to mix moly or tungsten disulfide with a grease or oil to isolate it from moisture and minimize friction. What do you all think?
Mike
"It's about the fishin' boy not the fish. Understand that and fishin' can teach you much."
Grandpa Albert

Reel 224

Very interesting read and as I read it, using Tungsten Disulfide is very effective in reducing friction under high load conditions in a stand alone application however after reading on it seams as you stated that it would be better suited as an additive to Oil or Grease to prevent delusion from water, which would effect it's stability under pressure.

Since those are the circumstances under which the TSD will be used in the application of Fishing Reel maintenance it seams best served to mix portions of Tsd with those materials..ie Grease and Oil. Finding the right mixing ratio would require further testing by a competent engineering testing lab for best results.

Joe     

mrmike

Please bear in mind that the document I referenced originated from within the U.S. government and therefore subject to multiple levels of review and editing by multiple managers who, as a prerequisite for management, have had their brains sucked out. Therefore, the document as released to the public may have absolutely nothing in common with the original. Trust me, I know whereof I speak. :P
"It's about the fishin' boy not the fish. Understand that and fishin' can teach you much."
Grandpa Albert