Daiwa Sealine 30H

Started by Porthos, March 19, 2015, 03:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I apologize for assuming.... you know what they say.  :-[

Regardless, there is a chart showing the drag washer sizes floating here some where.

Good luck.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

RowdyW

Ruffy, you will get a better fit by using 3 of 6-113 & 1 of 6-60. Put a 60 & 113 on the bottom of the stack, keyed, 113, eared, 113, keyed.  The OD will be OK, just have to grind out the ID a little.

Alvaman

Hi!   I am just as new member as of 7/5 and this is my first contact with this web site. According to your note you were unable to find schematics for the Diawa Sealine 30H & 50H./ These schematics appear in the 1978-84 listings. if you still need copies let me know and I will send copies.  I just did a test copy however. The original is printed with pale blue ink and does not copy well. Send me an E mail with your address and I will  play around with the contrast to make quality copies if you still need them.

alantani

very nice of you to help out!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Alvaman - When your scanning documents try selecting black and white copy only - not coloured (unless the colour is important doh!) - Instant contrast ;)

basto

The keyed metals in the drag stack are very rounded on one side (stamped)
The top one does not matter as it is under the spacer on the rounded side, but the bottom one is between carbontex on both sides.
So it is good to hone the bottom one flat on it`s rounded side for better contact with the drag washer.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

kb6880

Thanks for the great tutorial Porthos!   I recently rebuilt a 30h and can confirm that both the handle and non-handle bearing were easily removed, at least on my reel.   That's when the fun began.  I wanted to clean the bearings, so I pulled the shields and noticed black plastic underneath.  Thinking this was a seal of some sort, I pried on it a bit and was rewarded by the ball bearings flying out in all directions.   Come to find out that the bearings have crown races, which are basically a plastic / nylon material that holds the balls in place.  They are apparently good bearings for function, but not so great for disassembly and cleaning.   I tried pressing them back together, with no luck.   Fortunately, Boca and Mikes (and others) have replacement bearings.   Got a set of orange seal ceramics from boca, and the reel casts very well now.   Just wanted everyone to know that the stock bearings can likely be cleaned and serviced, including removing the shield, but be very careful.  It might be better to only remove one shield and carefully clean, or just soak them with shields in place, rinse well, dry, and add reel-x or similar.   It's not a good feeling to have tiny ball bearings go flying across your shop .....

Porthos

There have been minor variations seen throughout the Sealine lineup...not out of the ordinary given their, what, 30+ years in production. Sorry to hear you lost your bearings...that's probably preferable to losing your marbles.  ;)

paniolopete

I have always enjoyed using my Daiwa Sealine 30H but agree that the balanced handle was a problem, especially with the current philosophy of catching bigger fish with smaller reels here on the "Left Coast". I ordered a "Power Handle" from Reel Power Handles here in So. Cal, but it is for the newer version with 5mm flats slot and 8mm diameter threads. Our "classic models" (mine was given to me by a friend) was from the late 80's, when I first started ocean fishing, sports 7mm flats and 9mm threads on the drive shaft, but I'm preaching to the choir.

I just wanted to thank you all for your inputs, and especially to Porthos for a great pictorial of the re-build and running documentation of what was performed and found.

I have a couple of spare Penn Jigmaster handles that I sized and found them to be a very close size match (the diameter of the drive shaft is just a couple hundredths less than the Daiwa 30H), so as you found, a little filing with a Dremel and a fine stone should get me where I want to be. Steve from "Reel Power Handles" returned my call and is sending me a Power Handle for the Jigmaster to work on to make my 30H an even meaner tuna fightin' machine!  Thank you again for a great series of posts!

PanioloPete

Porthos

At some point, when I get ambitious enough and acquire the tapping tool, I will attempt to put a new screw hole in my adapted Jigmaster power handle for that Daiwa 30H handle nut plate screw... ::)

jigmaster501

Will a 50H handle fit the 30H. I have my first 30H and I am amazed how well built it is.

I figured a bigger handle would be easier to fish.

This will be an excellent blackfish reel.

Porthos

Quote from: jigmaster501 on February 14, 2018, 08:19:56 PM
Will a 50H handle fit the 30H. I have my first 30H and I am amazed how well built it is.

I figured a bigger handle would be easier to fish.

This will be an excellent blackfish reel.

No, if it was only that simple. Without even factoring in the rounded ends:

30H ~ 7mm x 9mm

50H ~ 9mm x 11mm

A modified Jigmaster handle, like the one I did, is the path of least resistance, IMHO...

jigmaster501

How did you do your filing? Did you use a rat tail file and a small flat file?

I can't believe how well built these reels are.

They are well worth the money.

Have you had an issues with the gear sleeve wearing out?

Porthos

Quote from: jigmaster501 on February 15, 2018, 02:48:55 AM
How did you do your filing? Did you use a rat tail file and a small flat file?

I can't believe how well built these reels are.

They are well worth the money.

Have you had an issues with the gear sleeve wearing out?

Hand filed with these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-precision-needle-file-set-4614.html

My 30H/170H has been fished as 40lb reels for the last 3 years...11-12lbs drag from top of spool. No discernible wear seen yet.

Rothmar2

Been meaning to ask this for a while. Does anyone know if the gear sleeve on the 27H is the same dimensions as the 30H?

Have a 27H I would like to soup up....