But, but, but, this isn't a cod. It's a halibut!

Started by trond_solem, March 21, 2015, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 23, 2015, 06:34:52 AM
Quote from: trond_solem on March 23, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Octopus : http://www.ebay.com/itm/371221277971
These are cod killers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gummi-Makk-Meeresangeln-Meereskoder-Norwegen-Island-Behr-Beifanger-/380504126389

You attach that to the spoon/iron? Also, Trond is that handle on the 9/0 off the 2/0 I sent you?

I use a short piece (2 meters / 7 ft) of mono between the main line and the iron. Spread along this mono I tie in equal spaced short strings of mono (6") with one of this on the end. That gives me 3 baits over a 7-8 ft length. Fishing on the bottom this will cover the depth above the bottom where the cod (and obvoiusly the halibut) hunts for food.

It may result in three big ones at the same time if the fishing is good, but that is something you have to expect. Strong line and a good rod and as always a Penn reel. :)

Three halibuts at the same time isn't likely though.

Trond.

trond_solem

These are cod killers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gummi-Makk-Meeresangeln-Meereskoder-Norwegen-Island-Behr-Beifanger-/380504126389

You attach that to the spoon/iron? Also, Trond is that handle on the 9/0 off the 2/0 I sent you?

And yes, the handle is that from the 2/0 you sent me.  It fits better on the 9/0 than on the 2/0.
I think it looks great with my custom crank on the 9/0 reel.

The 2/0 got a smaller custom crank with a smaller knob. The knob on the 2/0 is a bit too small, but I will replace it with a larger one later.
The reel works great. It has been fished and I caught some nice coalfish with it.
Thanks!

Trond

Keta

We use rigs similar for shallow rockfish using two 1-1/2" (38mm) plastic grubs.  To avoid the yelloweye rockfish, the ones we are trying to recover, we no longer use them when fishing over 20 fathoms.

The handle arm looks like a "Keta Krank"  but I don't remember if I ever cut a slot like that.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: trond_solem on March 23, 2015, 06:52:27 AM

I use a short piece (2 meters / 7 ft) of mono between the main line and the iron. Spread along this mono I tie in equal spaced short strings of mono (6") with one of this on the end. That gives me 3 baits over a 7-8 ft length. Fishing on the bottom this will cover the depth above the bottom where the cod (and obvoiusly the halibut) hunts for food.

It may result in three big ones at the same time if the fishing is good, but that is something you have to expect. Strong line and a good rod and as always a Penn reel. :)

Three halibuts at the same time isn't likely though.

Trond.

I will have to try that method some time. We dont get very big fish over here to offten though. Unless fishing in mexican waters. Nice to see you putting that handle and reel to some solid use!

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on March 23, 2015, 12:20:09 PM
We use rigs similar for shallow rockfish using two 1-1/2" (38mm) plastic grubs.  To avoid the yelloweye rockfish, the ones we are trying to recover, we no longer use them when fishing over 20 fathoms.

The handle arm looks like a "Keta Krank"  but I don't remember if I ever cut a slot like that.

The crank isn't a Keta krank, but I have to admit that it was inspired by your work.
The slot is two-part to stiffen up the crank. Less chance for it twisting under load.
This one is 4mm thick 316 steel. I don't think it will fail under load.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on March 23, 2015, 01:40:11 PM
It looks good Trod!

Thanks!
Feels great too. :)
This time I got the measurement of the holes correct. Just had to remove some small burrs from the laser cutting. 10 seconds with a small file in each of the holes is enough.
Fits very nice and tight on the gear sleeve. I have to push it down with my thumb to get it on. No sloop at all. Less chance for rounding off the gear sleeve this way.

bluefish69

Trond

I make the Tube Tails. I use 7/0 Limerick Hooks [Hooks with a bend in the shank] & 175# Bead Chain as the Swivel. I sell them for $2ea

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

wallacewt

hi trond
just got through watching your video,love it and thanks
left handed overhead,is that on backwards ;D if not which way does the star drag turn to tighten  :D :D
your rod that you lost that large fish on,would make a good spiral rod,looks 1/2 spiral with fish on
cheers mate

trond_solem

Quote from: wallacewt on March 27, 2015, 12:07:41 PM
hi trond
just got through watching your video,love it and thanks
left handed overhead,is that on backwards ;D if not which way does the star drag turn to tighten  :D :D
your rod that you lost that large fish on,would make a good spiral rod,looks 1/2 spiral with fish on
cheers mate

??? You lost me here.
What video?
Spiral rod?

Sorry, I don't get it. :)

wallacewt

the red and black left handed conventional reels(overhead)that your friend was using.
are they right handed reels put on backwards ;D ;D ;D. im just pullin your chain. :D

your rod you was using when you lost that large fish was all twisted out of shape when under load.
it would make a good spiral rod(acid)
cheers buddy
sry trond,its in that german video, haha!

trond_solem

Quote from: wallacewt on March 27, 2015, 11:57:33 PM
the red and black left handed conventional reels(overhead)that your friend was using.
are they right handed reels put on backwards ;D ;D ;D. im just pullin your chain. :D

your rod you was using when you lost that large fish was all twisted out of shape when under load.
it would make a good spiral rod(acid)
cheers buddy

You are talkning about the Mega Vega video?
I don't know them. They were just tourist that visited this island a few years ago. Never met them and never talked to them.
I just posted the video to show what kind of fishing we have here.

wallacewt

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 22, 2015, 02:13:23 AM
Trond, I got me a cup of coffee and enjoyed everyone of your 1625 pictures ;D, you do some beautiful work.
If I had to pic one it would be very hard, they're all gorgeous, this one hit me just a little more than the others, if its ok I would like to make it my background for a while.
http://cdn.ipernity.com/142/76/41/32517641.09ee4098.240.jpg?r2

I will now start on Mrs Solem, thanks for sharing these with us, it's a nice treat.

Trond, these are even better. Good thing you're not compeating with Mrs Solem  ;D

Many of my images are available from http://trond-solem.fineartamerica.com
Besides that, If you want to use any of my images as backgound on your computer, shoot me a PM and I will send you a link to a suitable size of the image you like. As long as you don't re-distribute it, I will grant you a license to use it as desktop background.

- Trond

trond_solem

Quote from: wallacewt on March 28, 2015, 12:05:28 AM
ok ,cut off my head and stick on a pineapple ;D

Nope! :-)
I wish I have talked to the guys. They could have told me exactly where they caught all that halibuts.
Looking at the video I am able to guestmate where they were fishing. It is about 4 miles or so from my front door.

Well, I know other places to hunt for that flat fish.