Newell C344 3.6 ????? And opinions on Global Precision Gears

Started by stnakamu, March 22, 2015, 10:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stnakamu

I have a BNIB Newell C344 3.6 that I've been trying to sell but couldn't get the money I wanted for it so I am just gonna use it.  I am a bait caster so the slow gear ratio won't work for me.  Do you guys know if I changed the gear and pinion to a 5:1 ratio would the reel work?  I know the 500 series 3.2 to 4.6 wouldn't cause of the spool shaft diameter is bigger on the slow speed.  Let me know please I don't want to open reel up if it doesn't work cause I could still sell as BNIB if I don't. 

Any opinions on global precision gears?  I am planning on using that unless there reviews are poor. 

Thanks Shane

Bryan Young

Hi Shane.  I personally would not recommend those gears.  If you need new Newell 5:1, and if your gears are new, I'd be interested in swapping you 5:1 for 3.6:1 Newell gears.  PM me if you are interested.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

stnakamu

Do you know if the gears are interchangeable between low and highspeed reels?

Bryan Young

The gear sets are interchangeable.  

You need to change out the pinion and main gear.

I have a brand new Newell 5:1 gear set and would gladly exchange for 3.6:1 gear set if your gear sets have not been fished.

If you don't service your own reels, I could see if Brian Fishing Supply would swap of the gears for you and me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

The gears sets are interchangeable and no problem at all.  The 540 3.2 is the only Newell that does not interchange. The gears will interchange but the spools don't work properly.

Newell Nut

I will swap you a set of Newell 5-1 for a set of 3.6-1 gears. Send me a PM if interested.

Bryan Young

Sorry Dwight, I swapped with Shane already, and it's already installed in my bottom fishing reel.

Newell Nut