how-to: making your own springs

Started by Three se7ens, March 23, 2015, 03:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackereljoe

Florida Cracker

I had an anti-reverse spring jump into the ether and I made a replacement from a guitar string and it turned out well.

Carl L

Actually, the bic lighter springs are slightly different than the scripto (cheapo) lighters-(ones i recommended)-the cheap ones at any convenience store.. just pry off chrome top, then remove flint wheel (spring is under the flint)  before you buy one, look around the parking lot hehe....

Whit

Will Piano wire work?  I have some for kingfish that could be put into "spring service"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Whit on July 17, 2018, 09:56:14 PM
Will Piano wire work?  I have some for kingfish that could be put into "spring service"!

Given the correct diameter & temper for the intended use, yes. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Three se7ens

Quote from: Whit on July 17, 2018, 09:56:14 PM

True piano wire is spring wire, but solid wire leaders for fishing are may not be.  The wire fishing leaders Ive tied do not react to bending like proper spring wire.  It will likely work in a pinch, but Im not sure about its longevity. 

Shark Hunter

Whenever someone mentions piano wire.
It reminds of the Jaws Movie.
That is where Quint got his wire leaders for sharking. ;)
Life is Good!

oc1

Piano wire is very hard with a lot of spring, but it is high carbon and will rust.  If you can keep it greased and rust-free it works well.  If it rusts it will weaken and stain everything.  Piano wire can also be difficult to work with because it will crack or break if the bend is too sharp.

Stainless is more soft and malleable, but the chromium oxide that forms on the surface will protect it from corrosion.  You may have to use a thicker wire to get the same strength and spring as with piano wire, but stainless is more stable and less trouble. Stainless is easier to work with too.

Both come in a pretty good selection of sizes.
-steve

Makule

Good write-up.
Coil springs are routinely made by machinists and I've made several on my lathe using regular Malin fishing wire for non-critical things (temporary).  The trick is to get the right "springiness".
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

kevin cozens

i use cigarette lighter springs to make anti reverse dog springs. just cut to size.

kevin cozens

Quote from: Keta on March 23, 2015, 12:17:12 PMGood idea with the tap and tap handle.  I have a real spring making tool I use to make butt rings with but it does not do small springs.
Do the butt rings match your butt plugs ;D  ;D