Interest in stainless handle arms and drag stars?

Started by Three se7ens, March 24, 2015, 03:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Is there any interest in stainless handle arms or drag stars for Newell reels?  I dont need any up front orders, just looking to get an idea what kind of demand there is.  I can have any of my current handle arms cut to fit the newell gear sleeves.  

Also, I can do drag stars pretty easily since I already have a tap of the proper size for 200-300-400 series reels.  

I will need to borrow a 500-600 gear sleeve to measure the threads before I can commit to a drag star on those, as well as getting the dimensions for the gear sleeve hole.  

I just did a batch of these handles and counterweights for a member here, and I have 3 extras available.  Fits 200-300-400 series reels.  $24 plus shipping for handle arm, counterweight, and counterweight screw.  Everything is 316 SS for corrosion resistance in salt water.  The finish will be brighter on finished parts, these havent been through the final polishing yet.  Pm me if you are interested in the handles.

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 24, 2015, 03:30:10 AM
Is there any interest in stainless handle arms or drag stars for Newell reels?  I dont need any up front orders, just looking to get an idea what kind of demand there is.  I can have any of my current handle arms cut to fit the newell gear sleeves.  

Also, I can do drag stars pretty easily since I already have a tap of the proper size for 200-300-400 series reels.  

I will need to borrow a 500-600 gear sleeve to measure the threads before I can commit to a drag star on those, as well as getting the dimensions for the gear sleeve hole.  

I just did a batch of these handles and counterweights for a member here, and I have 3 extras available.  Fits 200-300-400 series reels.  $24 plus shipping for handle arm, counterweight, and counterweight screw.  Everything is 316 SS for corrosion resistance in salt water.  The finish will be brighter on finished parts, these havent been through the final polishing yet.  Pm me if you are interested in the handles.

Adam, the gear sleeves for all newells use the same taps and dies.  The only difference in the gear sleeves are the lengths for the 500 and 600 series.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

vilters

I'm sure there is interest for the drag stars, probably the arms too. I'd be in for a few drag stars...

Newell Nut

I believe the drag stars would sell well. The old plastic Newell star is too thick to allow creativity in the drag system. For example with Bryan's 5 stack drag I can't back the drag off to full release. With the thinner Newell P series Aluminum star I can back off to zero and I can add little wavy washers that make the ramp up smoother and more gradual.

On the 400 500 and 600 Newells you will notice the drag star spokes are just a little longer than the stars on the 200 and 300 body size. Just try and picture a 600 series with a 200 series star and vice versa. The bigger reel has a bigger drag system and larger OD body and needs a larger star. Threads are all the same on the sleeves.
I could use quite a few of the SS stars in both sizes. 12 each would be a good start for me.
I will be trying one of the new arms soon to see how it feels before I can commit on that one. People will buy a lot of the stars when the protos are out.

fIsHsTiiCkS

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 24, 2015, 08:55:08 AM
I believe the drag stars would sell well. The old plastic Newell star is too thick to allow creativity in the drag system. For example with Bryan's 5 stack drag I can't back the drag off to full release. With the thinner Newell P series Aluminum star I can back off to zero and I can add little wavy washers that make the ramp up smoother and more gradual.

On the 400 500 and 600 Newells you will notice the drag star spokes are just a little longer than the stars on the 200 and 300 body size. Just try and picture a 600 series with a 200 series star and vice versa. The bigger reel has a bigger drag system and larger OD body and needs a larger star. Threads are all the same on the sleeves.
I could use quite a few of the SS stars in both sizes. 12 each would be a good start for me.
I will be trying one of the new arms soon to see how it feels before I can commit on that one. People will buy a lot of the stars when the protos are out.

How thick are the Newell stars?  I can get 1/8" and 3/16" thick stainless pretty easy, but I don't have much 0.135" left.

What diameters would be good for the different stars?  I'm open to new designs too if anyone has and suggestions.

Newell Nut

I will get some dimensions to you in a PM later today.

speedwagon2

I am good for at least 5.  If the end of the star is a little wider or something that is easy to catch with your fingers, that would be good.  I second NN discussion regarding the thick original stars. A thinner SS star would allow for some more creativity in setting up hotrod drags.
  Speedwagon2

Three se7ens

Heres a quick drawing I did on the stars.  They roughly match the late P aluminum stars, but will be cut from 3/16" (0.1875") thick 316 stainless.  Thats a little thinner at the gear sleeve, and a little thicker at the end of the spokes than the newell aluminum star. 

The PDF is drawn to scale, so it will print out actual size.

Im open to tweaks or adjustments on the drawing, or ideas for other designs.  I dont need a big order for a design, and one-off designs are not out of the question.

Bryan Young

I like the original design with the material being thicker at the gear sleeve, with the same OD as the spacer so that if you have to crank down on the drags, the star base will slide into the sideplate without hitting the sideplate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Three se7ens

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 26, 2015, 04:28:04 AM
I like the original design with the material being thicker at the gear sleeve, with the same OD as the spacer so that if you have to crank down on the drags, the star base will slide into the sideplate without hitting the sideplate.

The problem is that requires machining after cutting, and will easily double, or more, the cost of the star.  To be cost effective, Im limited to 2d shapes than can be cut from sheet.  A spacer could be used, but it sounds like there is more interest in a thinner star for the people who are already using a thicker drag stack.

Bryan Young

Sorry...My mis-understanding when you said thinner at the gear sleeve and thicker at the ends...I guess you were talking about width. 

Three se7ens

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 26, 2015, 05:49:16 AM
Sorry...My mis-understanding when you said thinner at the gear sleeve and thicker at the ends...I guess you were talking about width. 

That was in comparison to the stock drag star. Mine will be flat, but the original one is thicker at the center than at the tips if the star.