Tiagra 50 WLRS

Started by kamuwela, November 30, 2010, 06:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Nice job Handi.
Let us know how that 3m adhesive holds up.
Which product did you use? was it 76, 77 or 80?
Thanks for sharing!

handi2

It was 3M 77. I just happened to have it in the shop. I did a Shimano Torsa 30 the same way and it has caught many Amberjack and Tuna with no problems. I guess I'll know for sure when it comes back in but he say's it's fine.

The original material is soft and thin and I could have used .5mm just as well.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

Anyone ever notice that the Tiagra 50W, 50WLRSA, and 80W don't come with removable reel stands ???? I just worked on a 30A that had a removable stand and a 130A that has it too. I wonder why Shimano chose to do these reels differently. I think that it's an important feature in a reel as a new frame is $200 for a 50WRLSA. I mean it would make sense if they only had them on the larger reels but I'm confused why an 80W wouldn't have one and a 30W would. Any thoughts?

Tightlines667

Quote from: fatstriper on March 26, 2015, 07:44:03 PM
Anyone ever notice that the Tiagra 50W, 50WLRSA, and 80W don't come with removable reel stands ???? I just worked on a 30A that had a removable stand and a 130A that has it too. I wonder why Shimano chose to do these reels differently. I think that it's an important feature in a reel as a new frame is $200 for a 50WRLSA. I mean it would make sense if they only had them on the larger reels but I'm confused why an 80W wouldn't have one and a 30W would. Any thoughts?

I have wondered the same thing.  The only thing I can come up with is posdibly trying to save some money on the front end, or less parts to stock, or something?  Just musing...doesn't really ad up for me.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FatTuna

Tightlines, do you know if the only difference between the 50W vs 50WLRSA is the belleville configuration? I was just looking at the schematics and that was the only difference that I noticed between the two models. I just got finished rebuilding a couple or LRSAs but I've never seen the 50W in person.

Tightlines667

The cam has a steeper ramp too.  I think I discussed this in another post.  Easy enough to make the conversion.
Hope springs eternal

FatTuna

Thanks. I'll look for the thread you posted in.

gtrfred

Guys,

I need some help.  I have a tiagra 50W that I had a local shop upgrade to the LRS.  The reel has worked flawlessly.  I respooled the reel myself and noticed no issues with it.  I went fishing the other day and the free spool is awful.  We were high speed trolling for wahoo, so attached to the line was a 24 oz trolling lead and an 16 oz lure.  even at 6 knots, we would have to pull line off the reel with it in free spool and the clicker off.

I took the reel apart this morning and everything looks normal.  the spool bearings are greased, but they are on my other 4 tiagras and they all have working free spool.  The thing I did notice is that the cooling shield (562) is rubbing against the backside of the pressure plate (296).  when the cooling shield is removed, the spool spins freely.  with it on, it rubs.

Has anyone experienced this before?  could the cover be warped?  I dont think it was assembled incorrectly, because the reel has been used and worked fine since its last service.

thanks for any input or ideas.

FatTuna

Any chance the preset is set higher on this reel? If you adjust the preset too high you start to lose free spool.

gtrfred

we tried backing the preset way off and still have the issue.  with the reel apart, holding the main shaft in my hand, and spinning the spool with the other, the spool barely spins with the cooling shield installed. 

i dont understand how the cooling shield can "go bad".   

FatTuna

When you are spinning it, do you have all of the belleville washers on the spool shaft?

Maybe Tightlines will chime in; he knows a lot about these reels.

The only thing I can think of is that the bellevilles are in the wrong order or that something else could be in the wrong order. If that's not it, you could try swapping the cooling shield from another one to determine if it got warped somehow.

gtrfred

No I dont have the beville washers on it. 

Great idea about swapping it out.  I will give that a try.

Tightlines667

Loss of freespool is due to improper spacing and/or Belle illegal # & configuration along the spool shaft.  The drag plate will rub on the cooling shield when the entire assembly is not compressed (i.e. outside of the reel).  If the drag itself is excessively worn(>0.3mm) you may need a shim on the tailplate bearing, and if worse outside the left spool bearing as well.  First double check your Belleville washer numbers and configuration, and ensure you have a preload, and thrust washer as well.  Of the Bellevilles have loss some compression due to use, and/or storing the reel with the drag lever forward, replace them or add 1 or 2 0.3mm shims with the washers to maintain stock stack height. 

Just play around with the spacing along the shaft and you should get it.  Do not overshim, 1.0mm total is usually too much, or damage to the tailplate, cam, and bearings may result.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Hope springs eternal

gtrfred

thanks for the help.  I will look at that tonight and report back.

Rothmar2

Standard Belleville config for a 50WLRS should be (())(())|

There is a 0.3mm shim between the right end spool bearing and the innermost Belleville.
Have just done 2 this week, but might crack one open an measure the washer/shim stack height with some verniers if you still can't get to the bottom of it, for comparison
I'm with Tightlines, it's a spacing issue. It doesn't take much to throw these off.