Tiagra 50 WLRS

Started by kamuwela, November 30, 2010, 06:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrfred

I finally got a chance to look at it this morning.  I seem to missing the pre-load washer. The bearing thrust washer is there, along with the 8 bellevilles.  I guess I can assume that since i having these issues the shop missed putting that back in.  

I didnt bother putting it all back together without the pre-load washer.  I need to get a replacement now.

Thanks

Fred

update: so I finally ordered the part and put it all back together - and the freespool is working great again.  I didnt bother to time it or anything, but with a spin with my hand, it zips right along.

Thanks for all the help.

ohfishalee

what is the bearing bore diameter in inches of this EDIT:bearing?

.....considering switching to these bearings:

https://www.amazon.com/Angular-Contact-Miniature-Bearings-VXB/dp/B002BBIGQQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1492794019&sr=8-5&keywords=8+x+22+x+7+axial+bearing#feature-bullets-btf

Specifications for this item

Part Number   Kit8330
Maximum Rotational Speed   41000  rpm
Static Load Capacity   1350  newtons
Dynamic Load Capacity   3300  newtons
Bore Diameter   0.314 inches  inches
Brand Name   VXB
Inside Diameter   8  millimeters
Item Diameter   22  millimeters
Item Weight   0.48 ounces
Number of Items   1
UNSPSC Code   31171531
Width   7  millimeters

handi2

The bearing sounds good but its chromed steel. Not stainless steel. It may work if you check it once a year.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on April 21, 2017, 11:29:12 PM
The bearing sounds good but its chromed steel. Not stainless steel. It may work if you check it once a year.

Man..
I don't know if I'd trust chromed steel bearings in an offshore trolling applications.  Guaranteed the bearing will  get exposed to salt and water.  Maybe if it (the bearing) was truely 'sealed' and the reel was serviced regularly.  Still, the outter race would likely develop issues.  Just an opinion.  Testing the theory in a real world environment would provide answers.

Did we ever recieve any feedback on these type of bearings after a season of use?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I have been slow so I started servicing our Taigra's for next years trolling season.

I got through 2 of the 50WLRS reels and they had no problems. They started getting heavy so I went to the 30W reels. I serviced those last year. I'll finish the others 50W's later.

I started on the 30W's because I knew it has been at least 5 years because the grease I used was Evinrude Triple Guard heavy blue grease. The reels have been working fine.

These 2 reels had loose alarm ratchet screws and one of them had come out and was stuck to the handle side plate.

I started using blue Loctite 3 years ago after seeing customers reels like this. I also replace the screws.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ohfishalee

Any alternatives to the A/C bearing posted above that would handle the salt exposure

Quote from: handi2 on April 21, 2017, 11:29:12 PM

erikpowell

Why not simply use the standard Shimano ARB bearing?  part # TT0033 -  8x22x7
The price tag on a spare one I have says $18 FJD from the old dealer here, so that was only like $9 USD!

All 4 bearings are the same size. Tried and true. Pack the pinion gear with marine grease and you'll probably never need to replace it.

While they're not listed on Dawn's Smoothdrag price list, you could try her.

I have an extra if you need it.

ohfishalee

Quote from: erikpowell on January 14, 2018, 06:09:04 AM
Why not simply use the standard Shimano ARB bearing?  part # TT0033 -  8x22x7
The price tag on a spare one I have says $18 FJD from the old dealer here, so that was only like $9 USD!

All 4 bearings are the same size. Tried and true. Pack the pinion gear with marine grease and you'll probably never need to replace it.

While they're not listed on Dawn's Smoothdrag price list, you could try her.

I have an extra if you need it.

I'm just experimenting here - it appears that there is some advantage (from an engineering/physics) standpoint if the load is dispersed [as is suggested by the properties of the A/C bearing].

If it doesn't work then we all know what works  ;)

mitchman

Its too bad the photos aren't working on this tutorial anymore. Are there any other links to tutorials on the 50W LRS out there?

mitchman

Has anyone found an optimum bellville washer configuration to get more drag than stock but not overtax the bearings too much? I understand stock is (())(())| and the original poster used (((((((((| to get max drag, but I'm worried about burning out bearings prematurely with the max setting. I fish on Cape Cod and sometimes we have to use 40-50lbs of drag on a bent butt out of the rod holder to bring in a beast.