DROP LOOP Knot Fixture .. absolutely awesome

Started by STRIPER LOU, March 25, 2015, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Hello All,
I tie up literally hundreds of fluke rigs every year for the locals. They're simple but time consuming and I want every one to be perfect. Found this fixture on the internet that is absolutely awesome! What use to take me 20 minutes I can complete in 5 and each and every one comes out looking professional. I've included the pictures from mine and the link to use and build one. I honestly don't think it took 10 minutes to put together. Spent more time looking for stuff. I tried to tie them on 30lbs Hi vis Trilene Big game so you could see it. In the enclosed link if you look to the right there's a bunch of other knot stuff that's great.
One suggestion I would make though is to break or soften the top edge on the finish nails before you bang them in. Also check them afterwards to make sure there are NO sharp edges.

You will also notice I pull the loop down to the edge of the board as this insures every one is the same length. Use a bit of saliva before you pull the knot tight. When I'm doing these I make as many as 5/10 doz at a clip so I have a small container of water with a drop or two of dish detergent for lubrication.
You will also see on my final product that the loop has been cut to a single line. I like this better as it gets rid of some of the bulk and helps prevent fouling and tangles etc.
These knots are very strong when tied correctly even after cutting but I ALWAYS use a drop of super glue just as a precaution. Never use plastic cement as some of these can actually melt the line!
Believe me, if you do any amount of dropper loops you will LOVE this fixture. Made with scrap wood and a few 8 penny finish nails.              ........................Lou               http://wn.com/how_to_use_a_dropper_loop_peg_board

STRIPER LOU

Here's the finished product. Double loop for holding the sinker and a 1/0 swivel to attach the line. Droppers are 10/12" and if the tide is really rippin I may have some that are longer!

Bryan Young

Nice jig.  I've been meaning to make one as we sometime make 50 - 100 sets for Discover Angling. 

For droppers in Hawaii, I like to make mine with a twist and hard leader material so the flies are literally floating out there irrespective of the current.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Thanks for the information.  I'm going to make one from the youtube reference.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

STRIPER LOU

Thanks Bryan, I didn't know how to post it that way.
If you do go to the link I sent and watch the second video which will play automatically it gives you the build and sort of the dimensions. Worth a look!
..................lou

Bryan Young

STRIPER LOU

Thanks Bry, that's the one. I just finished cranking off another 20 rigs. I cant believe how fast it goes! Where the hell was this video 20 yrs ago!!!!!!!!
................Lou

maxpowers

Cool idea.  However I have pretty much stop using the dropper loop fishing except for rockfishing etc.  For yellowtail dropper loop I have been using the spider hitch which test out much stronger than the dropper loop.

Bryan Young

SacFly

Thanks for posting this.  I make a lot of dropper loop rigs for fluke and for porgy/seabass.  Getting the loops spaced out exactly how I want is what slows me down, and this should remedy that.

thorhammer

whats the heaviest mono this will work on? I'd love it on 100 lb mono for grouper

STRIPER LOU

I don't think you will have any problem with 100. I do 80 lb all the time. Just remember to lube, siliva or water with a drop of dish detergent and always pull the knot up slowly!
Good luck,  ..  Lou

Bryan Young

Quote from: thorhammer on March 31, 2015, 03:34:46 PM
whats the heaviest mono this will work on? I'd love it on 100 lb mono for grouper
I know guys that use 200# mono...but they are pretty big guys and are able to pull those knots tight.

thorhammer

thanks! 100 or 130 will be as heavy as i go.