Accurate / Jigmaster Conversion

Started by Penn Chronology, March 25, 2015, 07:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Well, I guess this conversion has been done many times here but I have questions. I always have questions, that is why my wife considers me a pain but I do not care. I need answers, so I have to ask questions.

This build is happening because of a friend of mine. He wanted to build a Squidder 146 with a solid frame (Accurate or Tiburon) to use for Blackfishing aka Tautog. I looked through my stuff and found an old Tiburon box in my junk and it is the right frame, so I can help out my friend but me being me, the box is heavier than it should be, so I know I put more stuff in here years ago and just forgot about it.

So I take all my stuff out of the box and am left with the frame and papers ready to sell;

But,,,,, I am also left with a bunch of good stuff that I stored away years ago.

So I first say to myself, ""Self, why did you put all this away?'''
                  The first thing I notice is the side plates are for a Jigmaster and the frame is a Squidder, so I know they do not belong together. Then I look at the inside of the plates and notice something missing.

Years ago this missing bearing was a problem to me. I was doing many reels and when parts were gone, I just stored the stuff away for later consideration. Well, now that I am a member of this "Alan Tani Research and Development Center", the time for "Later Considerations" has arrived. I start searching around the forum and I find threads that are talking about exactly what I need and people that can sell me the exact part just as if it is "Business as Usual"!! So, I PM Bryan, and what do you know??? He has exactly what I need, so now, after a thorough hosing by the USPS ( I honestly believe the inmates are running the asylum in that organization), Bryan and I were able to make a deal and my side plate is useful again.

At this point I have to review what I have and what I need. I have used but good Accurate side plates, I have an old Newell 5 to 1 Stainless Steel gear kit, left over from the days when I used to buy and sell these things. This is the last one I have and it is NOS, so I have not decided whether I want to use it yet. I also have an old Jigmaster built into a Penn 99 size using Newell bars and stand, sitting on the shelf with the same kit installed in it. I have never used the shelfie, so the kit in that reel is also new. I may take that kit from that reel and save the one that is still in the package for a "Later Consideration"................ :) I also saved a standard size Jigmaster 500 Newell spool from the old days and an old Accurate counter weight handle that is a great old piece.
             My dilemma is I do not have a Accurate or Tiburon frame for my old parts. This sends me off on a EBay quest and in no time I come up with a Jigmaster 500 with a "NO Name" frame. To make a Long story shorter, I win the frame and reel for $65 in a knock down, drag out auction ;D and now I am on my way.

So, for all of those with enough patience to read all my blabber, here is my first question. Does anyone know who makes this frame??

The reel this frame was installed was a perfectly fine running unit, so I just went to my old junk and found what I need to make the reel whole again after I removed the frame.

This reel will be on EBay next, while I wait for the other stuff that I will use to build my new Jigmaster.

At this time I have ordered a stainless steel double dog bridge, jack and yoke from Pro Challenger which should arrive soon. Then I will continue this post.

I hope this post will be as much fun to read as it is to build the reel.

Bryan Young

That frame looks like an Accurate frame.  The wording often rubbed of on many frames.  So you should have a matched set.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Yes, the built in reel foot is telling me Accurate. The White Letters were Laser etched after they realized the Black ones came right off.
Life is Good!

Doug

I have one just like it made by accurate   Doug

Penn Chronology

Thanks, Accurate it is and that is a good thing.  :)

Now, my next question. I have found the stainless steel parts I want at Pro Challenger, except, I have not found a stainless steel sleeve yet, which is stopping me from buying a custom star wheel because I do not know what thread I will be dealing with yet (fine or course). Is a stainless steel gear sleeve made for a Jigmaster?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 25, 2015, 08:25:20 PM
Thanks, Accurate it is and that is a good thing.  :)

Now, my next question. I have found the stainless steel parts I want at Pro Challenger, except, I have not found a stainless steel sleeve yet, which is stopping me from buying a custom star wheel because I do not know what thread I will be dealing with yet (fine or course). Is a stainless steel gear sleeve made for a Jigmaster?

Alan has Stainless Steel Gear Sleeves http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13041.0.

I don't know if he has any fine threads left that is cut all the way down like in the picture for Gen2.  I think Jason or Lee ground down the 1/16 lip to match the Gen2 design, and you could have a 6 stack system.

I personally like the finer threads but know others like the course threads because it's stronger.  Personal preference.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteAlan has Stainless Steel Gear Sleeves

Thank you Bryan, I sent him an email.

thorhammer

sure wish i could kick over boxes of forgotten Accuplates in my shop....the only plates i find are paper with pimento cheese spilled on it. nice find and good score on the $65 conversion!

Penn Chronology

Quotesure wish i could kick over boxes of forgotten Accuplates in my shop....the only plates i find are paper with pimento cheese spilled on it. nice find and good score on the $65 conversion!

About ten years ago my collection almost amounted to 1000 reels. I am down to about 200 now. It got a little crazy for me for awhile, hence the leftover stuff. I used to think I had a lot of stuff until I met two guys that have accumulated over 30,000 reels and they are neatly displayed in a basement in Maryland. Sometimes our hobby can become a Obsessive Compulsion (if we are lucky ;D).

coastal_dan

Fishing for Tog (Blackfish) is becoming an obsession for me!  My kayak allows me to get up against the rocks and find those buggers.  Reel looks great, and enjoying the build. 

I can't imagine a collection of 30,000 reels, doesn't really compute with my brain...they must not be married, haha.

Yes, many of us read your 'blabber' as you call it. It's full of useful information  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

[quoteI can't imagine a collection of 30,000 reels, doesn't really compute with my brain...they must not be married, haha][/quote]

They are married but both had the kind of job that allowed for early retirement. There is a story connected with their obsession. They were involved in a bit of underwater work on one of the USA's famous rivers and recovered much fishing tackle in a form of underwater salvage work. That was the beginning of their collecting which turned into a strong interest. Here are a few pictures, I am sure you will all understand why I do not use their names. Their basement is worth a small fortune in antiques. Here is a portion of their collection:

Needless to say, I was impressed with the quality, more than the quantity. A phenomenal display, museum like.

Alto Mare

Mike, that is no basement, that's a museum...I'm amazed !!!!! :o

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Oh my....simply amazing; looks like many different manufactures as well.   Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteAlan has Stainless Steel Gear Sleeves http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13041.0.

I don't know if he has any fine threads left that is cut all the way down like in the picture for Gen2.

Thanks Bryan, Alan had the fine or course threads with the matching star wheel and under gear washer at a very fair price. The sleeve and its matching parts are on their way to me.

Thanks again for the connection.

Penn Chronology

QuoteFishing for Tog (Blackfish) is becoming an obsession for me!

Ha, if you can master the Blackfish trick, then you can catch any bottom fish. The Blacks are the rig stealers of all time. I used to cast to them off the jetties. catch 30 a day and loose about 20 sinkers doing it. Those fish also make a great sandwich stuffer.

Glad you guys enjoyed the Basement Museum! Their library of old research material is just as impressive. It is an amazing collection.