Accurate / Jigmaster Conversion

Started by Penn Chronology, March 25, 2015, 07:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

All these hidden references Mike, too funny!  Reel Deal in the background saying you only have two speeds...  Honestly, just laughed out loud looking at that picture.

Part of me wishes there was the option to have the simultaneous or the intermittent engagement of the dogs.  I'm sure with both together it is stronger, but it would be nice having it tighter in the handle while reeling...maybe someday it will be purchasable rather than custom.

My two speed reference was intended to describe myself, the Reel Deal in the background was my Alfred Hitchcock effect and was meant specifically for you. You pick right up on that stuff. Sometimes I think you read more into a picture than was intended, that tells me your brain wheels are turning.

So now the parts are a reel;

A very imperfect, nicked up reel. The intention was to build a fishing reel, to actually fish with. So the imperfections are very appropriate. If it was perfect, I would sell it or display it, but now, I want to break it in. The double dog bridge has a different feel to it than a Penn bridge on the retrieve. Sort of a bit coarse but not. It is hard to explain. The free spool mode runs like it never heard of the word friction. It just spins and I start yawning waiting for it to stop. I know that if the dogs were engaging at different intervals, the reel would be more smooth with less backlash of the handle, but, logically you would not have a strength increase, you would have a more failsafe reel but not a stronger reel.

Anyways, this reel looks to be fun. I hope to do a few Montauk trips this year, if things work out for me. I will definitely bring this new / old reel with me.

I had no problems with clearance of any moving parts, everything works just like factory.

Alto Mare

Good job on that reel Mike.  Yes those accurate spin forever.
If dogs were engaging at different intervals you would not have a fail safe reel, something else would fail before the second dog gets a chance.
I believe the best option for these reels is to have the two dogs engaging at the same time, as you have it now.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteIf dogs were engaging at different intervals you would not have a fail safe reel, something else would fail before the second dog gets a chance.
I believe the best option for these reels is to have the two dogs engaging at the same time, as you have it now.

Thanks Sal, that is good to know. Makes sense that the anti-reverse gear, being supported on the top and bottom at the same time would be stronger. I can't wait to land my first Bass with it. I suspect with the super spinning free spool, it would make a great surf reel also. 

coastal_dan

If you test the drag let us know your numbers, I'm currently only getting 12 lbs with a very similar set up.  I need to dismantle and double check my order.  Looks fantastic by the way.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteIf you test the drag let us know your numbers, I'm currently only getting 12 lbs with a very similar set up.  I need to dismantle and double check my order.  Looks fantastic by the way.

I never did a drag test and do not own a scale that will hold the setting after it is released but I will give it a try when I get time and report back. Thanks for the kinds words on the appearance but if it looked fantastic I would put it up for sale...................... ;D It looks good enough to catch some fish with...

coastal_dan

I may do it a slightly different way but I load up a 3 gallon bucket with large bank sinkers and add or remove based on what my drag is doing.  Cat litter buckets get a good afterlife at our house.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Penn Chronology

QuoteI may do it a slightly different way but I load up a 3 gallon bucket with large bank sinkers and add or remove based on what my drag is doing.  Cat litter buckets get a good afterlife at our house.

So how do you do the lift? Do you simply put 20 pounds in the bucket and use the reel tied directly to the bucket to try to life it and keep adding weight until the reel begins to slip or reducing weight until it stops slipping? Or is the reel attached to a predetermined length fishing rod and then you do the lift?

coastal_dan

I have a broomstick pole that I attach different size reels too and I have a 250 lb ball bearing swivel that is attached to the bucket.  I tie the main line to the swivel and lift away.  This works well with both lever drag or star drag.  Maybe I've been doing it oddly, but it seems to work well for my uses.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have a broomstick pole that I attach different size reels too and I have a 250 lb ball bearing swivel that is attached to the bucket.  I tie the main line to the swivel and lift away.  This works well with both lever drag or star drag.  Maybe I've been doing it oddly, but it seems to work well for my uses.

I have been so into Penn history over the last ten years, that I see everything through the catalogs and sometimes miss the simpler way to do thing. Here is an illustration of how Penn tested their drags in the 1930's:

I guess all that would be needed here is more controls, like a indicator somewhere between the fisherman and the tension source logging the amount of pounds needed to create a failure or simply arriving at a true figure of what the reel can handle.

There seems to be variables though. Like the length of the rod. The longer the rod, the more load on the reel, also the action of the rod can affect results, speed of run off, heat, amount of line left on the spool and other factors, I would think. We need a standard to have corresponding numbers.

Or am I getting too deep? Maybe there is already a standard that I am unaware of.

I must admit, I do like your bucket idea too!   :)

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Very interesting!  Basically a fishing simulator, like the first arcade fishing game!  This would be neat to have...not sure I'd ever leave my garage if one of these was down there.  Anyway to get more information on that?  Like what powered it or how they determined the various drag conditions.  Pretty darn neat.  Thanks Mike.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Penn Chronology

QuoteWe need to get Sal one of these. Grin
Ha, I would like to modify to a coin operated unit and bring it to the dock. I bet I would make some bucks with it.

QuoteVery interesting!  Basically a fishing simulator, like the first arcade fishing game!  This would be neat to have...not sure I'd ever leave my garage if one of these was down there.  Anyway to get more information on that?  Like what powered it or how they determined the various drag conditions.  Pretty darn neat.  Thanks Mike.
I always wondered what happened to this machine. This machine was in the first Penn factory, so I am pretty sure, after the war, this machine went to the junk heap. Especially after the purchase of the new testing platform after the war, called the Penn Sportfisher, on the cover of Catalog 15.
               I would think the electric motor that drove the drum needed a clutch or  motor brake somewhere in the drive line between the drum and motor, otherwise two things could possibly happen. There would be damage at the motor end or damage at the fisherman end.  :( Either would be undesirable, so, there was probably a adjustable disc at the drum.
               Anyways, I agree with you both, this would be a fun toy and I think Sal would love it.... ;D

coastal_dan

Oh to dumpster dive in the old days at Penn...probably some neat stuff in their 'trash'.
Dan from Philadelphia...

borchcl

Penn Chronology

I am looking deeper into what happened with this old drag tester. I am finding out some surprising information about the machine. I did not go into the dumpster during the war. It most definitely made the transition to the new factory at Hunting Park Ave. So far I have some solid information about what happened with this drag machine. I just want to find out a bit more before I tell any stories. I want to get it right. More to come on the machine.