Accurate / Jigmaster Conversion

Started by Penn Chronology, March 25, 2015, 07:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

At first I thought that was Sal's basement -- What is MIKE doing in Sal's basement?

Then I realized there were not enough reels pictured there to be Sal's...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Just to place an update here, I have received some of the super / quality internals I am going to use. Thanks to Alan Tani and Pro Challenger I have a double dog bridge, SS sleeve, SS yoke and SS jack. I am on my way.

I have some other things I have to do before I start assembling this reel but it should be soon. I will have to fish with this. It is too interesting to not use and being that the plates are not perfect, it belongs on the water from time to time.

bluefish69

Mike

I tried to use that Gear Kit in a JM 500 & had problems. The Pinion was hitting the Bushing when I tried going into Free Spool, it would only move 1/2 way & jam.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

You probably have the 505 gear set.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI tried to use that Gear Kit in a JM 500 & had problems. The Pinion was hitting the Bushing when I tried going into Free Spool, it would only move 1/2 way & jam.

Mike,

Maybe Sal is right. I have had a few of these Newell gear sets, I still have one installed into a Jigmaster 500 and it works very smooth, as a matter of fact, that is the one I am going to use in the Accurate plates to save breaking the last new kit I have. If I have a problem, I will post about it. Thanks for the heads up.

I was wondering if there is any kind of prep I have to do to the stainless steel jack and yoke, or can they be installed just as I received them?

coastal_dan

I just greased mine and installed them, great fit.  

I didn't see any spacers in that photo - mine ended up using the 10.5mm but that is with factory side plates and the Tiburon frame so this may be different.  Pro Challenger has the 10.5mm, 11.5 mm and the 12.5 mm (which I found to match stock length).

Looks great!

Edit: You may want to verify the I.D. of the hole on the side plate before ordering the PC spacers, if I remember correctly the Lee Pro plates had smaller holes (Sal had this issue on his Italian themed build) so I am not sure about the Accurate plates, hopefully someone else can chime in.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bluefish69

It was marked 500 - all the Newell's & 112 just like the other package that I have. Blue like you pack

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 01, 2015, 09:12:32 PM
I just greased mine and installed them, great fit.  

I didn't see any spacers in that photo - mine ended up using the 10.5mm but that is with factory side plates and the Tiburon frame so this may be different.  Pro Challenger has the 10.5mm, 11.5 mm and the 12.5 mm (which I found to match stock length).

Looks great!

Edit: You may want to verify the I.D. of the hole on the side plate before ordering the PC spacers, if I remember correctly the Lee Pro plates had smaller holes (Sal had this issue on his Italian themed build) so I am not sure about the Accurate plates, hopefully someone else can chime in.
You bring up a good point Dan, Yes my Lee-Proo didn't work, but not because the plate hole was tight, it was because the hole wasen't centered. Everything else on those plates are drilled to perfection.
The Accurate were also unusual, my plates did just fine, but Jason's were tight. Accurate plates are not the same, I know this, because I had both in my hands.
Quote from: bluefish69 on April 01, 2015, 09:30:07 PM
It was marked 500 - all the Newell's & 112 just like the other package that I have. Blue like you pack

Mike
Mike, check the pinion if it looks the same as the others, sometimes you can't go by just what's marked on the bag.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI didn't see any spacers in that photo - mine ended up using the 10.5mm but that is with factory side plates and the Tiburon frame so this may be different.  Pro Challenger has the 10.5mm, 11.5 mm and the 12.5 mm (which I found to match stock length).

I did not order a spacer from Pro Challenger because there is one in the Newell kit, you can see it if you look close. :) The hole in the Accurate plate is fine, the Newell spacer fits perfectly into the Accurate plate. Since these plates are used, I assume all the machine work is good and drilled openings are centered, otherwise they would not have been used in the first place (of course I could be wrong, according to my wife, I am always wrong :-[)

bluefish69

Sal

I will check tomorrow against one of Alan C's Pinions

Mike

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 26, 2015, 05:25:10 PM
Mike, that is no basement, that's a museum...I'm amazed !!!!! :o

Sal
Ditto.  Wow! Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coastal_dan

Sweet!  Reading this site from a phone isn't the best idea because of the picture size, haha.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Tightlines667

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 02, 2015, 12:31:38 AM
Sweet!  Reading this site from a phone isn't the best idea because of the picture size, haha.

I must still have some pretty good eyes then, since I basically only view this site from my phone.  Now my typing and spelling...thats a whole 'nother story.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

OK, I am ready for the assembly step. I have two speeds, Slow and Stop, I have now moved back to the Slow speed.

I believe I have accumulated all the parts to make this reel a strong and smooth running fishing and I have every intention of fishing with it this Summer.

Although I feel it is over built for the type of fishing I do, at least I will have a talking piece. Maybe I will try it for Bluefish, I usually use spinning tackle for them and if I get lucky I will get a big Striper.

This is a washed out picture but you can see the dogs simultaneously engage, which is what I wanted, I think??

I made up a hang tag with the components used inside the reel. If I do not do that, by next week I will not remember anything I put in this reel. ??? ???

Anyways, I will assemble this old ""Almost a Jigmaster 500", with the hopes I do not have a problems. My next post will be of the assembled reel.

coastal_dan

All these hidden references Mike, too funny!  Reel Deal in the background saying you only have two speeds...  Honestly, just laughed out loud looking at that picture.

Part of me wishes there was the option to have the simultaneous or the intermittent engagement of the dogs.  I'm sure with both together it is stronger, but it would be nice having it tighter in the handle while reeling...maybe someday it will be purchasable rather than custom.
Dan from Philadelphia...