Penn 80- end of life service :(

Started by CEShawn, March 26, 2015, 06:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CEShawn

I have had this Penn 80 since my Dad handled it down to me in 2008.  I remember him buying it around 1986/87 when we bought our first "offshore boat" a Pursuit 26.  We bought 2-80's and 2-50's, all single wide, not even sure if Wide was around then, experts I am sure know.  I can still remember the boxes with that metal/ribbon edges I think, could be wrong.  It was bought at Lechmere's which is well gone now, almost like a Best Buy.

So finally this past summer the clicker fell off.  So can't really troll at 7 knots anymore, now that I am also fishing a green stick, its an extra one.

I thought about selling it, but something about history.  Only thing I did was replace the drag a few years back.  Everything is in really good working order, but dinged up as hell, a hard service.  Six boats its lasted through...

Tightlines667

Looks like you got a handle on it.  

Actually that handle appears to maybe have been upgraded at some point, (or maybe these were standard with the late model 80?) along with the drags.  

I believe the 80W was introduced just a few years after the 80 and both were replaced at about the same time, a few years after you bought yours.  

Looks like you got alot of good years out of that real.  I may have the NOS replacement clicker parts you are looking for.  Can you show us some pictures of the clicker parts you do have?  Clicker ratchet (mounted on right side of spool), pawl, and spring.  I am assuming you lost the click button, and click button nut?  

Let us know if you have any other questions on servicing this reel, or if you need any hard to find parts.

I happen to have an origional 80W on my bench right now, I am planning on servicing this weekend.  I attached a photo with the parts I suspect may need replacing (no cluck button nut, which is actually a small set screw, or spring pictured), and this reel needs neither, and likely only 1 or 2 bearings.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

theswimmer

What kind of price would you put on one of these reels?
I have a neighbor who is in his 80's and offer one to me for free but I would like to give him market price for it.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Tightlines667

Quote from: theswimmer on March 27, 2015, 06:38:55 PM
What kind of price would you put on one of these reels?
I have a neighbor who is in his 80's and offer one to me for free but I would like to give him market price for it.

They typically sell for $300-$450 depending on condition.  Having said that, if you have to replace bearings, upgrade the drag, and replace clicker parts (+$150-$200), and a newer International mosel can be had for around the same price, I would look to spend $150-$250 on a used one..in my opinion.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

I he's by himself, pay a visit every once in a while. Probably a good idea to take him out for breakfast or dinner.
I'm thinking at his age, money has very little to no value  :-\ .
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

theswimmer

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 27, 2015, 09:07:36 PM
I he's by himself, pay a visit every once in a while. Probably a good idea to take him out for breakfast or dinner.
I'm thinking at his age, money has very little to no value  :-\ .
Sal
We check on him 2 or 3 times a week. He is still running cows on his property but fence work etc has gotten to be a bit much the last couple of years. I like that kind of work having done it from childhood.
He is a great guy,one of the NASA engineers who designed the Lunar Module.
I help as much as I can, he has no living relatives.
Boy does he have some Florida fishing stories!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

Impressive! I would sit with him as much as I could and take everything in. you're lucky!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.