Rod for Jigmaster?

Started by pjstevko, March 27, 2015, 03:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm looking for suggestions on a reasonably priced (up to $100) rod to pair up with my older jigmaster. I'll be using the rod for yo-yo/vertical jigging on cattle/head/party boats. I'm thinking of spooling the reel with 50# braid with a shorter (20ft) topshot of 30-40# mono. The jigs I'll be using will range in weight from 1-6oz.

Based on the above set-up what would you recommend?

Thanks

PJ

coastal_dan

I always thought the Penn Power Stik 20-40 would be a good pairing - they are like $50 or so.  Last time I saw them it was a in a huge barrel of them at Dana Landing in CA.  Not many on the East Coast unless you order them only.  I have mine paired to a 30 lb stick and sometimes feel the tip is a little too light, but every rod will differ per manufacturer.  Let us know what your choose!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Doug

I also like the Penn Power Stick I use the med/ heavy 20-50 . I also think its hard to beat the Ugly Stik Tiger in the same range 20-50 The ugly stik is a little softer at the top and costs about the same. I like the ones with the full SS guides , hold up to braid well  Doug

pjstevko

Are these rods "heavy"?

I plan on jigging all day and don't wanna get worn out by using a heavy rod

Doug

I've never weighed one but I think they are about the same as any boat rod. Go to a shop and try them out
its really the best way to buy a rod Doug

bestout

i paired mines with the ugly stick surf 10 foot. its great but the rod its kinda heavy
The monsters in my head are scared......

fIsHsTiiCkS

Any rod that will fit the line test you plan on using will do. Rod selection really comes down to preference and how much you want to spend.

pjstevko

I'm looking at getting either Okuma Cedros Jigging Stick and Ugly Stick Tiger Lite....

Any opinions on either one?

txangler81

I like the ugly stik tiger rods they are nice and have an old school look to them.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Both good rods. My vote goes to the cedros, as I like the blue and huge fan of the alps seats.

If you are looking for a solid rod in that price range, I would recommend this http://m.tackledirect.com/tsunami-tsawebc-701mhj-airwaves-elite-braid-casting-rod.html

Is a great 30# rod, decent price point, and nice components. best part is it'so a VERY light rod!

Big Tim

I like the Tsunami rods for jigging/bottom fishing...Light and strong & priced right..I like to be able to snap the jig quick off the bottom and have the backbone to set the hook...I have a tricked out 500 Jigmaster with #65 power pro and a short top of #30-40 to ad a little flex on this rod.

http://www.srmo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=srmo&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=TSUNAMI_RODS&Product_Code=T101186

MarkT

A classic Sabre/Seeker/Calstar 670 would go well with a Jigmaster for those purposes with 30-40#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: Big Tim on March 28, 2015, 03:42:23 AM
I like the Tsunami rods for jigging/bottom fishing...Light and strong & priced right..I like to be able to snap the jig quick off the bottom and have the backbone to set the hook...I have a tricked out 500 Jigmaster with #65 power pro and a short top of #30-40 to ad a little flex on this rod.

http://www.srmo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=srmo&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=TSUNAMI_RODS&Product_Code=T101186

just when I thought I was narrowing down my choices.....I like the specs on this one too....good thing I don't have the $$$$ to buy yet

fishhead69

If you are not casting jigs and are just yo-yoing the iron then you don't need anything over 7 foot. I wouldn't fish less than 40 pound test line. There are a million different rods to choose from out there for sure. I like a 7 foot 20 to 50 pound class rod for what you are doing or a 30 to 60 pound rod. Graphite rods are lighter but more expensive. Then the reel seat in graphite is the lightest. I like the Fuji graphite reel seats with the cushioned stainless steel hoods.

Big Tim

Quote from: pjstevko on March 29, 2015, 04:18:17 AM
Quote from: Big Tim on March 28, 2015, 03:42:23 AM

just when I thought I was narrowing down my choices.....I like the specs on this one too....good thing I don't have the $$$$ to buy yet

Go fishing with us in May and I will let you use mine