Nice to Get Lucky Once in Awhile

Started by foakes, March 27, 2015, 08:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Over the years, I have become friends with 3 guys that regularly hit the yard sales and swap meets throughout California.

They know what I like to buy -- and they also know it is sold as soon as they buy it.

So they are always on the lookout for fishing gear.

The reel brands I like to buy are Penn, Garcia, Mitchell, DAM Quick, Shimano, and Daiwa.

The rod brands are Fenwick, Conolon by Garcia, Shakes for Ugly Stiks, and of course any CalStars, Seekers, Siloflex, Loomis, etc.

At first, I ended up buying some good stuff and a bunch of stuff I could not use -- but I did buy everything they brought me, while educating them about what is good, and what is average or not desirable.

Pretty soon, all they would bring me would be the good stuff -- because I would pay them a bonus/spiff on anything that was really good, and bought right.

Yesterday, one of my bird dogs called to say he was able to buy 16 rods, 11 reels, and a nice hard case -- from one family who had lost their Grandfather a few years ago.  This was his stuff, and while some of it is unused -- it has all been taken care of properly.

So it turns out to be mostly old Fenwicks ranging from ultralights at 5', 5'3", 5'4", 5'6", 6', 6'6", 7', and a bunch of others.  These are all mostly the older classics in dark chocolate.

Also some older bait casting rods.

And a couple of customs, along with some Garcia Conolons.

Reels were ultralight Mitchell 308s, Quicks, Mitchell 300C, Daiwa ultralights, and a few more.

And the case was a very nice old Fenwick that would hold 8 2-Piece rods.

I know these are freshwater rods -- but that is a major part of what I do.

These will make nice offerings at the Sportsman Club Swap Meet Show in Fresno, tomorrow morning -- in addition to the 150 reels and some rods I will be also bringing.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

That is a very nice find. One of my friend's wife found a Newell 646-3 for him and paid $10 for it. I serviced it and put new drags in it. I offered him $100 but no luck.

coastal_dan

Very nice!  Nice to have those friends on your side, I like that term 'Bird Dog'.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

Very nice.
Good things always happen to those who deserve it... ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

You had good equipment when you were a kid, Alan!

-- I had Fenwicks, Eagle Claw, Quicks, and Mitchells when I was able to earn my own money -- but early on it was just Zebco, Penn, and Berkley for trout, bluegill, and surf perch.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on March 27, 2015, 08:05:27 PMThese will make nice offerings at the Sportsman Club Swap Meet Show in Fresno, tomorrow morning -- in addition to the 150 reels and some rods I will be also bringing.

Wow, has it been a year already?  You have to give us more advanced warning next time, and remind us so we can come on down to look, buy and support you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

UKChris

I picked up an old chocolate Fenwick from a friend recently, though it was more than $10  ;D

It was one of the 130b class trolling rods with Mildrum rollers and the Varmac RS6H reel seat on a straight stainless steel butt.

Quite a classic and sits next to my two Harnell Royal trolling rods in 80lb and Unlimited classes. Those have black wooden butts and Varmac RS5H and RS6H reel seats.

I'd like to have them displayed over the fireplace in the lounge (crossed like duelling swords), but I think it might be a step too far  :D

I wish those rods could tell me the tales of their life.

Alto Mare

Wow Chris, you did really good. Might be the one that Quint used on Jaws ;D.
Mine was a lot more.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

UKChris

Indeed it is the same model, though in Jaws Quint's rod had a wooden butt.

I read somewhere what happened to the original rod from the film. It was used for many years on charter boats before being refurbished in a different colour scheme and, I think, had different guides fitted. It was then sold earlier this year with the correct provenance.

The site where I read that also showed a photo from the film studios where props were on display and the rod in the Jaws display was clearly not the rod used by Quint in the film. Ah well, that's Hollywood. I suppose the original rod was out fishing, not gathering dust.

I also recently picked up a brand new, unused Biscayne 130lb; white glass, whipped green over grey with orange trim and green flock foregrip. One for display I think though it would be a great rod to use on the big girls.

Gotta stoppit! Too £££!

Slazmo

foakes if you or your picking friends ever come by a Shimano Bullwhip Beastmaster rod in the lighter poundages eg 8lb rating and its in good condition would you keep me in mind.

Need a old 1980's era Shimano rod for a Bantam Tournament 1000 reel I have.

Postage from the states would be a killer but the only place I can safely find them on eBay and online is from the US of A and to post to Australia?

Thanks

foakes

Hi Slazmo --

Post some pics of the rod and proper labeling on the Shimano Bullwhip Beastmaster that you have in mind.

I will look through my rods.

Likely do not have exactly what you want -- but someone on the site may.

For me, without a pic, it takes too long to go through a few hundred rods.

Assuming this is a bait caster with a trigger?

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Slazmo

Quote from: foakes on April 20, 2015, 03:04:38 PMAssuming this is a bait caster with a trigger?

Spot on Fred.

These are the only pictures that I could find at the moment.

Looking for a light/ medium action at this point, I found one locally (well 500km's away) for $30 but would cost more to drive there and back ha.

Anyhow pictures for you sir.