Cedar plugs from my shop

Started by mmayo, March 27, 2015, 09:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

I have been thinking about making cedar plugs using my lathe for very long time. Here are my first creations using purpleheart, paduak and red cedar of course. I am still working on the process especially the protective end cap so they are still variable.  I used a four ounce egg sinker to turn the head.

I'll try them out this summer and see them swim.  It will be fun to see folks do a double take when the see my trolling rod with something new on it.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

coastal_dan

Fantastic!  Are you thinking about selling these?  Near shore BFT love these natural finish cedar plugs in our neck of the woods.  Great job sir, as usual!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Keta

I've use the parts from an cutting torch hose repair kit, in the red boxes below,

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mmayo

Quote from: Keta on March 27, 2015, 10:03:45 PM
I've use the parts from an cutting torch hose repair kit, in the red boxes below,

Thanks so much!

If I go to a welding shop and show them the photo, will they understand? New shop for me for sure.

If anyone knows a source for pre-made jig heads, I would love it. Thanks in advance

Keta

Quote from: mmayo on March 27, 2015, 10:17:47 PM

If I go to a welding shop and show them the photo, will they understand?

They should.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

theswimmer

We had a semi trailer from the fifties with a padauk floor that was used as a shop on the ranch.
Almost steel like in terms of durability.
Very nice plugs!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

TechTeach

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Dominick

Mmayo... do you know how to tune cedar plugs if you are going to rig them?  Actually whoever rigs them should tune the plugs so that they ride properly under tow.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mmayo

Quote from: Dominick on March 28, 2015, 05:41:34 PM
Mmayo... do you know how to tune cedar plugs if you are going to rig them?  Actually whoever rigs them should tune the plugs so that they ride properly under tow.  Dominick

I would LIKE to know, if you know share your info please.

mmayo

Quote from: Keta on March 27, 2015, 10:03:45 PM

Thanks a 10^6

Dominick

Quote from: mmayo on March 28, 2015, 05:50:10 PM

Sure.  Thread a stiff piece of wire through the plug.  The wire needs to be taut so that you can spin the plug.  The plug should spin freely.  You may also use heavy weight mono.  When the plug stops mark the top of the plug.  The plug will stop with the natural weight of the plug on the bottom.  Spin the plug 2-3 times so that you are sure where the top of the plug is.  When you know where the top of the plug is located put a V notch in the inside rear hole where the top is and place the hook so that the hook points up while under tow.  If this is not clear there should be some demonstrations on youtube.  If you can't find one I'll consider making a how-to video.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Islandgypsy

Have pulled my share of cedar plugs, but never knew how tune them...just that some swam better and out fished others. Thanks for that Dominick!

mmayo

I am going to make a load of them soon in various exotic wood species.
Let me know if you are interested.

mlmayo2@verizon.net

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on March 28, 2015, 05:58:38 PM
Quote from: mmayo on March 28, 2015, 05:50:10 PM

Sure.  Thread a stiff piece of wire through the plug.  The wire needs to be taut so that you can spin the plug.  The plug should spin freely.  You may also use heavy weight mono.  When the plug stops mark the top of the plug.  The plug will stop with the natural weight of the plug on the bottom.  Spin the plug 2-3 times so that you are sure where the top of the plug is.  When you know where the top of the plug is located put a V notch in the inside rear hole where the top is and place the hook so that the hook points up while under tow.  If this is not clear there should be some demonstrations on youtube.  If you can't find one I'll consider making a how-to video.  Dominick

Thanks for sharing that.  Do the Cedar plugs typicallh swim in a tight pattern?, or do the wobble, spin, and dark more erratically?  I have a few buried in my tackle boxes somewhere, but I don't remember actually ever rigging or runnin 'em.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mmayo

To me they swim in an erratic back and forth movement. Not so much as to tangle the guy next to you, but they move laterally. I think by what I can see when trolling that the might go up and down too. I will try the suggestion to "tune" mine with a few spins, mark it and make a groove for the hook. Be careful what knot you tie or use a crimp.