Cedar plugs from my shop

Started by mmayo, March 27, 2015, 09:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 28, 2015, 08:23:21 PM
Quote from: Dominick on March 28, 2015, 05:58:38 PM
Quote from: mmayo on March 28, 2015, 05:50:10 PM
Quote from: Dominick on March 28, 2015, 05:41:34 PM
Mmayo... do you know how to tune cedar plugs if you are going to rig them?  Actually whoever rigs them should tune the plugs so that they ride properly under tow.  Dominick

I would LIKE to know, if you know share your info please.
Sure.  Thread a stiff piece of wire through the plug.  The wire needs to be taut so that you can spin the plug.  The plug should spin freely.  You may also use heavy weight mono.  When the plug stops mark the top of the plug.  The plug will stop with the natural weight of the plug on the bottom.  Spin the plug 2-3 times so that you are sure where the top of the plug is.  When you know where the top of the plug is located put a V notch in the inside rear hole where the top is and place the hook so that the hook points up while under tow.  If this is not clear there should be some demonstrations on youtube.  If you can't find one I'll consider making a how-to video.  Dominick

Thanks for sharing that.  Do the Cedar plugs typicallh swim in a tight pattern?, or do the wobble, spin, and dark more erratically?  I have a few buried in my tackle boxes somewhere, but I don't remember actually ever rigging or runnin 'em.

It is not so tight as compared to other swimming plugs I can think of. Imagine a very fast "walk the dog" thrash side to side on the surface. A lipped plug or other trolling lures have a much tighter swim. We fish them right behind the first wake and is a nice way to fill out the spread. Very effective on most anything that hits trolled stuff.

Islandgypsy

Mmayo, those are beautiful. Cedar plugs have always been my " go to " for Albacore. Always wondered what a scaled down plug, lighter line and smaller hook would do when they get fixated on smaller Anchovies. Like 4" or so, kind of a "match the hatch " deal. I'll buy a half dozen for starters. Anchovies are to albacore like peanuts are to an elephant.They're great on pizza, too.

Islandgypsy

Lee is spot on ,as usual, with the oxy/acet ferrules , but maybe you could try empty brass shell casings for different sizes..a 9mm might be about right...punch out the spent primer and the centering hole to drill out is there. You could market these as "9 mm, .357, .44 mag."etc. ;D

Dominick

Quote from: mmayo on March 28, 2015, 08:10:11 PM
I am going to make a load of them soon in various exotic wood species.
Let me know if you are interested.

mlmayo2@verizon.net
MMayo, I will buy a couple unrigged, so that I can tune them before rigging.  I use a No. 10/0 Mustad needle eye hooks with 150lb Jinkai leader.  I also rig with a thin nylon tube in the front so that the line does not chaff.  I also crimp the hook.  I would be buying them to rig and fish with.  So if I am going to pay extra for exotic wood I probably won't pay much more than a cedar plug.  You might want to check out this thread http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2997.0.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mmayo

After some suggestions here, they look like this:

The one on the right still needed turning and all need finish to make them last a bit more.

Thanks for the good ideas.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

Dominick

Mark they are looking too good to fish.  Good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SoCalAngler

No, IMO never put finish on a cedar plug. The cedar wood will be just just fine long after the brass and leadheads need replacing.

whalebreath

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 04, 2015, 04:05:06 AM
No, IMO never put finish on a cedar plug. The cedar wood will be just just fine long after the brass and leadheads need replacing.
X2-plain old wood is Best and the more scuffed up the better.

Capt Ahab

I will buy some unfinished please!

mmayo

Here are a couple of shots from the recently flurry of plug production to give you an idea of what I use to make them.

Raw components and a turned, but not finished plug.

Before and after it was a sliding sinker

Several partially turned and drilled wood blanks in paduak and purpleheart.

After epoxy glue up of partially turned lead heads and brass end caps.

Three finished plugs from today.

As I have found out after making 25 of these, substantial work is involved.  If you have seen my tackle boxes you probably have figured out that I do not always take the easy road...  So far it is still fun to see raw stuff turn into something useful and pretty.

mmayo

A new addition to the family...a 7" long plug with a 6 ounce head pictured with six 6" plugs.

Below are a few in the collectors edition group with very exotic woods.

A few folks want plugs for display only and these are for a framed display.

mmayo

The color is purple for this set of plugs.  Leland purchased 4'", 5", 6" and 7" "cedar plugs" in purpleheart wood.

By the way, wood changes over time. These somewhat pale purple plugs will darken to an eggplant purple with exposure to sunlight.  Mine have simply amazing purple color after two days at sea trolling blind the boat.

mmayo

FINALLY got out to fish on a friend's boat Bula at Santa Barbara Island and the Osborne bank.  Caught 40 yellow and 30 bonito almost all released except five nice yellows. No tuna, but we did not see any being caught on the bank.   All but one or two were caught on cedar plugs from my shop.  They outfished a rapala and a feather 20:1.  Size did not matter as the 6", 5" and 4" all caught their share.  I knew these plugs, just as cedar plugs since ancient Egyptian times, catch fish; mine are just a lot easier on the eyes.

My plugs have a somewhat large rear opening of 7/32" and has a far more robust ferrule. The hook slides out effortlessly and my gaff to hookup ratio was near 100%.  This seems quite a bit better than what I can remember with the stock cedar plugs I have used over many years.

Can't wait for the San Diego Angler 10 Day next month, I expect many species will be caught on them.

mmayo

I can make some if you are interested.  I have some made and in stock, others quickly.

Aiala

Mark, is there a one-stop-shop link where potential/repeat customers (me) can see what patterns and lengths are currently available?

Thank you!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D