Anti reverse issues

Started by cubanaso, March 29, 2015, 04:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubanaso

I took apart my 322, 338 and other 338 yesterday for the first time.  All were cleaned, greased and drags were upgraded. 

My
Concern is that free spool went down a bit and the anti reverse does not work on two of the reels.  It may be the placement of the dog or the spring didn't stay in place maybe?

Are there reasons why my anti reverse wouldn't be working?  Also, is there a method to tightening/setting the bearing caps for maximum free spool and minimal spool movement?

Thanks

Andrew

Tunacious

If you took it out to clean, make sure the dog spring is installed correctly on the bridge plate.

Make sure that the top of the spring is on top of the dog as you bring it down to meet the sleeve teeth.

If you have an original P or blackie, ensure that the dogs sharp edge is facing down when connecting with the sleeve teeth.

Ensure that the bridge sleeve has the screw tightened on top of it or the c-clip is attached for older models.

As you manually turn the bridge sleeve you should see the dog spring go up and down to ensure tension is on the dog.

enfish

As you alluded, your drop in free spool is most likely due to the tension on the bearings. The method I use is to back off the left side bearing cap and then tighten the right side bearing cap down snug. Then I grab the spool and slide it side-to-side. You should be able to feel some movement side-to-side with a little clunk as the spool shaft seats in the bearing of the side to which you are sliding it if the left side bearing cap is backed off enough. Then, slowly tighten down on the left side bearing cap until you have a minuscule amount of side-to-side movement on the spool. The idea is you want to tighten down the bearing so that there is no sideways movement of the spool, but also no sideways load on the bearings. I always set it right at the point where I can still feel a little side-to-side clunk but 1/16th of a turn on the bearing cap makes it go away.

If the AR isn't working, then the dog isn't engaging. The only way to find out why is to pull the side plate off. Tunacious covered the possible causes pretty thoroughly. The nice thing about Newells is the entire bridge assembly comes off the side plate in one piece, so you can get the whole thing dialed in before screwing it to the side plate. I find it's easiest to get the dog working properly if you pull off the drag stack and main gear from the gear sleeve.

cubanaso

Thank you for the advice gentlemen.  It seems I had installed the dog
Upside down on two of the reels.  Upon flipping it everything went back to normal.

I used the bearing cap tightening trick that OnoEric had mentioned and it definitely increased the freespool, thanks for that!  I also went through and cleaned any grease that may have been on the edge of the spool and rim of the frame so it wouldn't slow down the spool spinning. 

It's not the freespool I'm used to with these tells though.  In thinking new beseings may be the next move.  Any sources in bearings for these reels?  Or sizes? 

Bryan Young

Contact Dawn at SmoothDrag.Com.  Dawn is a member here as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cubanaso

Awesome, thanks Bryan.  Do you guys have a preference on stainless versus ceramic bearings?  Pros and cons?

Also, is there anything else you would recommend upgrading/replacing, aside from bearings and drags.

Thanks

Andrew

alantani

i prefer plain stainless. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I choose stainless.  For me, the benefits of ceramic hybrids don't justify the cost the way I cast and fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I like the ceramics for increased smoothness, and freespool.  Of course cost considerations can take a back seat, after you have already put more into the reel then you could get back.  SS are less maintainance and will likely last longer though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tunacious

SS for me...ABEC #5. #7 isn't needed. The sizes are .125x.375x.156 for the 200/300/400 series.

cubanaso

Awesome!  Thanks for all the insight guys.  Can't wait to get these beauties in tip top shape.