Newell Rebirth?

Started by foakes, April 01, 2015, 05:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Since Enterprise Manufacturing/Valley?, took over the Newell operation -- it has been basically DOA.

It would seem that from the amount of knowledge -- and skill level of talent on this Board -- we could manufacture our own line of top quality reels similar to Newells.

We would be talking about SS components, plastic injection components, improved operation in a few weak areas.  Do a complete line of reels from 20 to 60 pound rigs -- wide, narrow, mediums.

We know what to do, and the talent is all here.

However, it may be too much work, or too hard, or not enough interest, or?

That is perfectly understandable.

But it would be a worthy goal.

Someone I respect, told me one time -- "each of us has a choice to just sit on the porch with the rest of the old guys, talking about the glory days of yesterday -- or we can step off the porch and change tomorrow".

Maybe I am just one of the old guys -- but wouldn't that be something?

Interesting possibilities.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tunacious

I like your thinking... 8)

Having Cortez Conversions and Pro Challenger on board would be a start.

Bryan Young

It all comes down to $ and a design team to make it happen.

AT reel line. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

I would like to see a Kevlar reinforced polymeric frame and sideplates.  We would need a chemical engineer to help with the composition,  a mechanical engineer to ffactoring the stress loading, and....
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tunacious

Valley Mfg evidently had someone that was really up to date on all the different polymers. Kevlar.....literally, a bulletproof reel. ;D

Newell Nut

When you get started make a couple thousand 533 3.2s for Florida and I get the first four. ;D

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

alantani

it's a tough market.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

vilters

i'll take a dozen in clear please  ;D

Keta

Quote from: alantani on April 01, 2015, 08:46:42 PM
it's a tough market.   :-\

X2

The Newell name will help but it will take a lot of $ to bring back this great product.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Frank

I own a few Valley Mfg. Newells and serviced a bunch of them and I really have to say they were on the right track.  Quality control, fit and finish was on par or better than Carl's early P's and G's. I was sorry to see them shut down.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

fIsHsTiiCkS

It's a huge possibility, it's a tough market though. If AT.com took it seriously it would easily be done

conchydong

I was hoping that Pure Fishing (Penn) would have bought the rights for Newells from Valley Manufacturing but I guess they weren't interested in a niche reel company.

redfish12

If you all do make this happen can you please please pretty please make a narrow, left hand, star drag, without a levelwind, cast control, as light as possible, 15lbs of drag (or more) and can hold 200 yds of 20lb mono?!

I love my Newell L-220 but it's basically a right hand reel that has been flipped over. The star drag is reversed for tightening and takes some getting used to. The spool release lever is on the front side of the reel and the way it pokes out can catch line coming off the spool.

Shark Hunter

Fred,
I am all about getting off the porch.
I don't think it a matter of work, or being too hard, and there is already interest.
Its the Cash it would take to get this off the ground.
I've been begging for almost two years for some Big Senator Stainless sleeves other than the ones from Electramate. They are finally happening only because of One man. Tom Hyrinuk.
I'm not saying its not possible. It just takes Money.
Its a Great Idea.
Life is Good!