Old Tool -- New Use

Started by foakes, April 02, 2015, 05:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

One of my interests is woodworking --

And I have most every stationary power tool in my shop -- along with most hand power tools, and hand tools.

Had this old Delta 1" belt sander that I never used over the last 14 years, or so.  Probably because I already had 4" & 6" belt sanders, 12", 8", and 6" disc sanders, etc..  Just did not need this.

So today I decided to add a variable speed foot pedal to this unit -- just for grinding or touching up reel parts.  Many times a low speed is useful -- as is the ability to use both hands to control the action and piece being ground or touched up.

Worked out pretty well -- and it is really useful now.  Going to install it in my upstairs reel shop for quick touch ups on a dog, disc,  gear bed, or whatever is needed quickly.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Fred,
You are so organized. Its almost scary.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Thats pretty cool Fred.  I use a benchtop grinder.  Variable speed belt seems like it would be nice for certain tasks.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Mine's bigger, notice I have a smaller Delta like yours behind the large bench sander.  I use them often.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Keta: You have a few sanding belts there also :o
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 02, 2015, 02:46:07 PM
Keta: You have a few sanding belts there also :o

From 40 to 220 grit.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

I'd say that's Santa's workshop right there, on both counts

Reel 224

Looks like both shops are well equipped. I have two shops , one is in the barn for welding and machinery, the other is in my basement for gunsmith work and also rods and reels. Neither of them are worthy of photo's. Much to messy.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 02, 2015, 03:05:57 PM
Looks like both shops are well equipped. I have two shops , one is in the barn for welding and machinery, the other is in my basement for gunsmith work and also rods and reels. Neither of them are worthy of photo's. Much to messy.   
Hey Joe, if Lee and Coastal Dan can show OSHA horror photos so can you. :D  Not Fred, he must have a full time maid.  ;D  I'm out of town.  I'll post some photos of what my garage looks like from a winter of neglect when I get home on Saturday.  :'(  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

If you want to see a mess look at the rest of the shop.

Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Oh my.  I wish I had time.  Maybe when I retire.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

LTM

Good idea Fred,

Ive one of these belt sanders lay dormant as well. I'll use your idea.

Leo

MarkT

You can use it for sharpening your knives too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tiddlerbasher

x2 on the knives - 1000 - 2000 - 3000 grit - then the leather strop - if it dry shaves the hair on my arm its good to go :)

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on April 02, 2015, 03:15:53 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on April 02, 2015, 03:05:57 PM
Hey Joe, if Lee and Coastal Dan can show OSHA horror photos so can you. :D  Not Fred, he must have a full time maid.  ;D  I'm out of town.  I'll post some photos of what my garage looks like from a winter of neglect when I get home on Saturday.  :'(  Dominick

I thought I answered this post ??? Maybe someone didn't like my description of my shops ??? Anyway I repeat. You really don't want to see my shop, it's not very pretty. My wife calls it a train wreck that looks like 2# of crap in a 5# bag. ;D