alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Heavy vibration and grinding when reeling
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 23, 2018, 04:37:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy vibration and grinding when reeling  (Read 7899 times)
Tom McKinney

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:00:08 PM »

Update:

While I haven't fished it yet, the matched set from Cone has made a big difference.  I had no idea that mixing used gears and pinions could could be a problem.  Always learning in this site.

Thanks Cone.  And to all who gave advice.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 07:11:17 AM »

When I have assembled reels from old parts -- many times the gears just will not quiet, or mesh properly -- until I switch them out with others.  But visually, I can see no problems.

Just like wearing someone else's pair of old shoes -- never feels or fits right.  Your feet and style of walking are different from anyone else.

That is why you will observe in many of the older quality reels -- the engineers generally used a steel pinion, along with a brass main.  They were allowing the dissimilar metals to be quieter and smoother when meshing -- by knowing the main would wear out sooner and slightly under typical usage.  And of course, it would perform more smoothly and quietly.

And sometimes a yoke is either tweaked enough or rough around the edges -- that a switch-out there will help also -- then when you get it where you are satisfied -- don't over slop grease on the drive train -- but a little extra would not hurt anything -- particularly when using old used parts.

Under actual fishing pressure -- everything needs to be looked at in the drive train -- bearings, gears, yoke, jack, pinion bearing axle, spool ends -- and even potential frame/stand/post twist causing alignment issues when meshing together.

Sounds like you made good progress with everyone's input.

Best,

Fred
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:17:47 AM by foakes » Logged

Before first light — with nothing less than wonder, and humility — I scan the cool, dark waters for the coming horizon — and the hope of what that deep unknowing might hold for me today...

——————————————————

Nothing happened. The fish just moved away slowly and the old man could not raise him an inch. His line was strong and made for heavy fish and he held it against his back until it was so taut that beads of water were jumping from it. Then it began to make a slow hissing sound in the water and he still held it, bracing himself against the thwart and leaning back against the pull. The boat began to move slowly off toward the north-west.

Santiago knew what he was in for, his lifelong experience had prepared him...

From Ernest Hemingway’s — “The Old Man and the Sea”

"At the Office"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: