Tiburon Frame Install - Blackie 338

Started by sundaytrucka, April 07, 2015, 03:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

So I picked up a used Tiburon P20 frame for my Blackie 338 surface iron reel, and headed home to make the frame switch.

Let me stop and say, that was the easiest part...

Frame ready to install. This is the older model Tiburon frame, straight frame from side plate to side plate, the newer models have a notch for your thumb and line.

The frame was used, so I took it all apart and soaked the smaller pieces in Corrosion X. Overall the frame was in good shape, well lubed, no corrosion. Very happy with it.

Here are some internal shots of the 338, great shape considering it is 30-plus years old.

So this is where the challenge begins. I took the rings off the cross bars and base plate of my Newell and install them on the Tib frame, almost done, I see that the two base screws thread in fine, but the four upper screw holes on both sides of the frame are not lining up with the rings off the Newell...I know some of you know that feeling I was having in the moment...

I have never inquired whether the P20 frame would fit a Blackie 338, I assumed it would, being it fits the Jigmaster 500 and other 338's, but felt it may have been an anecdotal issue with my particular 338.

This is the moment I would make the decision to sell the frame, save it for a future use, or go for it.

I went for it.

Broke out my dremel set and readied for a new process. I know, some OG Newell lovers cringe at this moment. I was going to use the base screws as my guide and grind the holes in my SS plates to line up with the Tiburon frame holes. First I bolted the two base screws on each side and lined the plates up with the spool in place and checked clearance all around, form and function.

Everything worked fine, alignment was good, and that pic made me confident that I would get it done.

So I slowly set at grinding the screw holes to line up with the Tib frame, took a lot of time and patience, but it was coming along well. Slowly but surely. I was not grinding the rings while on the frame, I was checking clearance every few minutes to make sure the hole was not too big or too small and kept in line with the base screws as the guide.

Finally got the screw holes perfectly lined up, put the frame together. All greased up and ready for the side plates.

Attempted to fit the side plates, and realized they too would not align with the newly formed screw holes in the rings, much less the Tib frame. This is when I decided to grind the side plates and move the screws ever so slightly, and grind a new resting lip for the screw heads. This is when I put down my phone and gave up on further pictures, now I was on a mission.

In the end it worked, while the side plates are not aesthetically perfect, due to the grinding to line up the screws, it functions great.

This was way more of a challenge than unscrewing and screwing back some bolts, as I had planned on Easter morning, but the reel looks good and functions great. In the end everything lined up well, I am getting 6 seconds longer free spool on an empty graphite spool than I was with the stock Newell base plate and cross bars. Man, I am going to fish some surface iron until this thing blows up. Coming with me on the June SOA trip. Cannot wait.

Thank you for looking guys.

-Scott

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Tunacious

Looks great...! I don't believe I've ever seen a Tib'd blackie. Just make sure you don't over tighten the external side plate screws...you don't want to get a hairline crack on the plastic. I'm not sure they'd help but it might be worth it if you could find some brass inserts for the 3 external screw holes (on each side).  McMaster-Carr? The inserts might take the strain off the plates and prevent cracking. Just a thought...

BonitaBch

Not an easy upgrade ... thanks for sharing.
Bonita Beach, FL

sundaytrucka

Yeah, I have never seen a Tib'd Blackie as well, probably for the same frame reason I encountered.

Works well, cannot wait to try it out.

Thanks for the comments guys!

sundaytrucka

Quick update...

Took the reel out on Alan's 5 day charter on the SOA, performed great.

First use of my jig stick, on my first cast, hooked up and caught my largest fish of the trip, a 25# yellowtail. Reel performed great, no issues what soever, other than that 25# yellowtail kicking my but on a 9' rod, lol.

Only upgrades I would do after fishing the reel would be a new AT handle and 5+1 drag stack...both to come.

Very happy with my nostalgic, working art piece.

thinkwahoo

Lot's of work, but you gotter done.  Another option would have been to elongate the holes in at the bottom of the inside cage rings to line up with the base.