Newell gear and pinion???

Started by stnakamu, April 08, 2015, 07:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stnakamu

I bought what I thought was a newell 300 series 5:1 gear and pinion from a store on a recent trip to California.  Upon getting back home and comparing it to other 300 series gear and pinions I noticed that the gear thickness is a about 1-2 mm shorter than the newell 300 series gear.  The gear looks exactly the same though its just a tad bit shorter in height.  This looks like it would be a problem because it wouldn't be able to fit the newell three drag three washer system.  The pinion seems to be exactly the same and fits the newell spool exactly as it should.  I bought it out of a container that said newell parts so I cannot blame the store owner.  I was just wondering if anyone on here would be able to trouble shoot exactly what I bought so I can get rid of it since I am pretty sure its not made for newels?  I was thinking maybe a penn gear and pinion but I have never owned penns so I don't know for sure.  Ill post pictures later today.

foakes

Hi Stnakamu --

In the day, the Newells used those very thin, hard, marbleized smoothie drag washers -- not CF greased.

So it is very possible you do have a Newell gear set -- others here will know better after you post some pics.

As long as the second SS (middle) washer is flush with the top of the main -- it will work -- although maybe not with CF greased, because they are a little thicker.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Aloha Shane.  I though you posted a picture on FaceBook, but I cannot seem to find it.  Sorry.   Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Just install Bryan's thin washer kit and all is well.

stnakamu

The gear looks exactly like a 300 series 5:1 gear that I have its just a 1-2 mm shallower make a 3rd drag washer rough to install?  I am trying to find out if this is for Newell or was made for a Penn Reel???  The diameter of gear matches up with a 300 series gear also.

Any input appreciated.  Mahalo

Bryan Young

That one was made for Newell reels.  Newell gears make for Penn Jigmasters have great teeth that goes all the way up to the full height if the gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

stnakamu

Bryan thanks whew I paid a decent price for this so I am happy to hear I can use it.  So it should work for 200, 300 and 400 series? 

Bryan Young

Quote from: stnakamu on April 09, 2015, 04:29:30 PM
Bryan thanks whew I paid a decent price for this so I am happy to hear I can use it.  So it should work for 200, 300 and 400 series? 
It will work for the 200, 300, and 400 series.  As long as the last eared washer is in the gear, the carbon fiber and the last keyed washer sitting above the main gear will be fine.

stnakamu

Thanks for the information.  You guys are truly a wealth of knowledge.