Newell 533 3.2

Started by Newell Nut, April 10, 2015, 05:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I have asked Tom to design a simple sleeve to either fit on a 533 spool or one that fits inside of a 3.2 bushing. I will be shipping a 540 3.2 to Tom with a 533 spool to use for the design. So lady and gentlemen anglers that would like to narrow a 540 3.2 it is in the works.
You will of course have to change the bearings to the standard size to fit the 533 spool. The modification simply takes away the slop in the 3.2 pinion due to the smaller shaft in the 533 spool and will fit snugly on the 533 spool locking lug.

Cortez_Conversions

So do you want the adapters or full spools? The adapters would be cheaper and quicker, but a new spool would be slick.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Bryan Young

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on April 30, 2015, 12:42:49 AM
So do you want the adapters or full spools? The adapters would be cheaper and quicker, but a new spool would be slick.

Adapters that way you could convert any of the 500 spools.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I wonder if the folks at Tiburon would be willing to press the correct spool shaft into an existing aftermarket spool to meet your needs?  Might be worth a call?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cortez_Conversions

Here it is!
The only issue is that the bearings for the 1/8" shaft are 5/32" wide, and the 3/16" shaft bearings are 1/8" wide. So basically we have to make room for an extra 1/16" of an inch between the bearings. I pulled all the shims out of the reel Dwight lent me and the pinion gear still touches the handle side bearing. It will go in and out of gear fine, but in free spool the handle is under a little tension from the pinion contact. I'm ordering a couple of smaller width bearings from McMaster and should have this wrapped up early next week!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Newell Nut

Tom

Does that reel have the SS bearing Cups on each side. If so then you may be bumping the edge of the cup. With SS bearing Cups they had red, black and white plastic spacer rings of different thickness so that the cup penetrations could be adjusted since the handle side cup is tight while the left side cup gets adjusted.

Does that make since. I have different ones here.

The sleeve looks good and thank you again for taking on this project.

Dwight

Bryan Young

Very nice.  When done, may I order 4?

Also, do we need to shim the bearing if the larger shaft is hitting the bearing to ensure you are only touching the inner races of the bearing?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BonitaBch

Great job Tom!  Put me down for one.
Bonita Beach, FL

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 07, 2015, 10:09:00 AM
Tom

Does that reel have the SS bearing Cups on each side. If so then you may be bumping the edge of the cup. With SS bearing Cups they had red, black and white plastic spacer rings of different thickness so that the cup penetrations could be adjusted since the handle side cup is tight while the left side cup gets adjusted.

Does that make since. I have different ones here.

The sleeve looks good and thank you again for taking on this project.

Dwight
Dwight,
The bearings press into the side plates, not a cup. You can see and feel the pinion gear contact the bearing when the free spool lever is thrown. Once I get it together I'll ship it back to you for some on the water testing!

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 07, 2015, 01:28:05 PM
Very nice.  When done, may I order 4?

Also, do we need to shim the bearing if the larger shaft is hitting the bearing to ensure you are only touching the inner races of the bearing?
Bryan,
I left the sleeve a bit short to ensure it wouldn't touch the larger portion of the shaft. I don't think there will be a need to shim for that reason, but maybe after I get the thinner bearings there will be some centering issues that need a shim. We shall see.

Newell Nut

Just to let you guys know the problem was only a thin SS spacer washer under the handle side bearing. Once removed the reel performs perfectly and Tom did a beautiful job of machining the sleeve for a perfect fit. The spool screams with speed due to perfect alignment with the sleeve.

Will follow up with pics tomorrow. Got to get to bed for an early fishing trip tomorrow.

codisking

This is really cool. I was just staring at a 447 last night, thinking about how to make the smaller shaft fit in a 540. Are the 3.2's unique or are all of the gear ratios in the 540's larger in spool drive shaft diameter. Also, what do you do on the left side, just use a different bearing?

Bryan Young

Hi Tom,

Will you have a few more available?  I would like to buy 4 please.

Thank you,
Bryan

Newell Nut

Quote from: codisking on May 27, 2015, 10:07:23 PM
This is really cool. I was just staring at a 447 last night, thinking about how to make the smaller shaft fit in a 540. Are the 3.2's unique or are all of the gear ratios in the 540's larger in spool drive shaft diameter. Also, what do you do on the left side, just use a different bearing?

The 500 series 3.2 has the same shaft and bearings as the 600 series. The smallest Newell made was the 540 3.2 and I wanted a 533 3.2 so all that was needed was a sleeve to fit on the 533 spool that would fit the 3.2 pinion and then change the bearings on both sides to the standard size bearings. Tom's sleeve was a perfect fit. I used high temp ferrule cement to secure it to the spool which gives the option to change later by simply using a grill lighter to warm it up. What really surprised me was the speed of the spool which was very fast.

Cortez_Conversions

Bryan,
I gotcha covered!
I will do a small run of these and make them available for the AT Ohana here when they are complete.