Newell 322-M spool

Started by fishhead69, April 13, 2015, 03:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead69

Will a "Blackie" 322-M spool work in a S332 combined with the Tiburon P21 frame without any modifications? Is the spool shaft, spool width and spool diameter the same as the P322 spool or is it different?

Newell Nut

Good Question. I have not had a blackie 322 in my hand to say yes or no but some things were held pretty constant in the Newells through out all the model changes. I am inclined to think it would work but not 100% sure.

Bryan Young

That's one hard question...I too am inclined to say yes, but like Newell Nut, not absolutely sure myself.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

vilters

I have a blackie spool, and will check it against a newer spool  when I get home.

fishhead69

Thank you for all of your fast replies. Let me know vilters what you find out on that.

Tunacious

You should be fine. The blackie spools are not different in any dimensions from the original P's. I could take my 322 blackie spool and install in my NL 322 if you like...let me know. I've taken a P440 spool and installed it into a NL 533 just fine. I don't have any C or S series to compare to.

fishhead69

Thanks for the info Tunacious. Does the NL322 have a stock aluminum spool or is it graphite?

vilters

looks good for you. width is same as penn 501, drive shaft of spool spindle is same as no letter 332 graphite spool.

Tunacious

Quote from: fishhead69 on April 13, 2015, 11:52:49 PM
Thanks for the info Tunacious. Does the NL322 have a stock aluminum spool or is it graphite?

It's aluminum...Carl never made a graphite 322 spool...only aluminum. Having said that, it's possible to cut down a larger 300 series graphite spool into a 322.

Tunacious

I'm pretty sure that the Penn 501/Newell 322 spool shafts are not identical and aren't interchangeable. As far as I know, the spool widths are identical but the shafts are different. The two reels share the same Tib frame but the spools are different. Also, there are only aluminum 322 spools. Your 322 spool, on the left in the bottom pic, is aluminum.

vilters

Quote from: Tunacious on April 14, 2015, 12:32:11 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Penn 501/Newell 322 spool shafts are not identical and aren't interchangeable. As far as I know, the spool widths are identical but the shafts are different. The two reels share the same Tib frame but the spools are different. Also, there are only aluminum 322 spools. Your 322 spool, on the left in the bottom pic, is aluminum.

yes, 3 different spools are pictured. you are correct, penn 501 and 322 spool spindles are different, as can be seen in pic.  just comparing those for width for frame reference, as the 501 spool is from a reel with narrow p21 tib frame. graphite spool is from no letter 332, not 322. comparing those spools for spindle compatability, which is a go.

fishhead69

Thanks again vilters. You're a good man.