Sale on USA Made Penn 6/0 114HL

Started by johndtuttle, April 16, 2015, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamus161

Thank you for the "heads up" on these Penn 114H reels!  Very nice....Graphite Half Frame, Aluminum Spool, the package with schematic, graphite reel clamp and Penn Tool!

Great Deal for the Made in the USA Penn HD reel for $80.00 +Tax and Shipping!

newport

What's everyones thoughts on the graphite half frame? I was thinking of buying one, but I prefer metal. Also, I don't get why they made it the way they did, cause it looks kind of ugly when you compare it to the old frame with posts. Are these really made in the usa?

Bryan Young

It's really a 50# trolling reel and if you fish it like a 50# trolling reel, it will be fine and last a lifetime.  If you want to fish it like an 80# reel, you will need to replace the frame with a Tib or Accurate and it will be fine.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

newport

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 29, 2015, 02:55:44 AM
It's really a 50# trolling reel and if you fish it like a 50# trolling reel, it will be fine and last a lifetime.  If you want to fish it like an 80# reel, you will need to replace the frame with a Tib or Accurate and it will be fine.

I see, so do you think the stock 22lbs max drag is fine for yellow and bluefin tuna? thanks for the help

I am wondering if I should upgrade it to smooth drags, but that would cost me $19 and may not be necessary.

TomT

I am always hesitant to give reel advice.  I can say that smoothdrags are carbon fiber drags and I am pretty sure your newer Penn 6/0's have carbon fiber drags installed at the factory.  So personally I would nott make the switch.  As for the 6/0's durability and reliability, I would say it will bring in most of the creatures in the ocean up to 200 to 300 lbs.  I have had a few marlin, YFT and even a blue shark that was 8--9ft.  It brought them all to the boat.  The shark and marlin were released.
TomT

newport

Darn, I missed my chance. They must of just updated their listing cause they're no longer available.