RU Mer

Started by Reel 224, April 16, 2015, 04:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I have a RU MER Spinning Reel and the other day I decided to take it apart to service it, it's not a difficult reel to work on. However when I started cleaning it up I discovered some problems. One the single drag washer was deteriorated and needed to be replaced, secondly the anti reverse gear on the crank shaft was damaged pretty bad. I have a parts reel that is just as old and was in bad shape except for some parts, so I thought. I tried to exchange the main gear shaft to my reel but it just wouldn't work, when I installed it the crank was to stiff to turn the reel handle. the other issue is finding a new drag washer for that reel. I tried using a drag washer from my penn repair but its a little larger ID then the MER's, the OD is fine. I really don't have the tools for cutting a new one. Does anyone here make various sized washers I can give them the dimensions. As far as the main crank gear goes that's a loss unless I can figure the problem out..to me it seams like the exchange is a tad thicker causing it to bind.     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Hi 224 --

If you can, post a few pics.

Some of us may have that reel, and be able to help you out.

In my case -- might have it.  And would be more than happy to send the whole reel at no charge, if I have a match.

Best & Good Luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Fred: That would be great, I have to break it down and I will take pictures later today, I have a few things going on right now and will get on it asap. This reel belonged to my good friends father, both my friend and his dad have passed so I would love to keep it going. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

I have a box full of those reels and some parts reels. Just show us what you need. Also I'll make a drag washer for you. Can you tell us which reel it is so I can compare?

Thanks
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

That is great, Keith --

This way I won't have to look through 50 or 60 crates -- and I may not have more than a couple anyway.

Sounds like 224 is all set --  but I will be glad to help if you guys get stuck.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Man!! Is it Christmas? I thought there was no way I could find parts for that reel and now you guys are offering a SL of them. handi2 and Fred I will get some pictures posted tomorrow for sure. I just came in to check the web so Ill be free to rip the reel down tomorrow because we are expecting rain.

Shark Hunter

There are tons of resources here. The more you hang around. The help you can get is simply amazing.
Its all about paying it forward. I can't compete with Fred, but I try to do what I can. ;)
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Okay I finished a complete take down on the RU MER and what I ended up doing is a complete trade on the crank gear and L/side body from the parts reel that I had after miking those parts to see if there was a difference in clearance, what I found was the main crank gears were much different from each other in that the castings of the gears were countered one thicker then the other. By changing the gear and body that were matched, everything worked. So one problem solved...actually two, because the anti reverse clicker wasn't working either so by doing a complete breakdown,cleaning,and lubrication that started working. So now you can hear the clicking when it's engaged. The only thing left to repair is the Drag washer. The ID is .360 and the OD is the same as the Penn 200. Here ar some pictures of the reel an one of the main gear I ended up using. My camera is screwing up or I would have taken more.

The picture of the gear and side housing is before I cleaned it up. That grease was hard as tar, I ended up using 301 and Harth and Stove cleaner/ which is a biodegradable product. It works for me since I do not have a ultrasonic cleaner.

foakes

Looks like you got it done, 224 --

Good working out of the the swaps and cleaning it up.

Shouldn't be any issue to modify a drag disc.

Seeing this vintage French reel reminds me of the old gunsmithing joke --

Guy walks into a gun shop asking which military surplus rifle would offer the best value for his budget.

Gunsmith replies -- buy a French weapon...it is not the best quality, but it has never been fired -- and only dropped once!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on April 17, 2015, 05:13:23 PM
Looks like you got it done, 224 --

Good working out of the the swaps and cleaning it up.

Shouldn't be any issue to modify a drag disc.

Seeing this vintage French reel reminds me of the old gunsmithing joke --

Guy walks into a gun shop asking which military surplus rifle would offer the best value for his budget.

Gunsmith replies -- buy a French weapon...it is not the best quality, but it has never been fired -- and only dropped once!

Fred

Ya Fred that Gunsmith joke has been around for ages but I still get a chuckle out of it Grin .. I was sitting here playing with that reel when this popped up, the reel actually works a lot better. It will get fished this season as it did last..but now I have more confidence in it knowing how the innards are workin..Yep. 

handi2

Joe I have 3 to 5 of those so I will make sure the drag washer fits just right and I will send you a parts reel also.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Joe take a look at these pictures and help me decide which one you have. I will make some drag washers and send you a reel.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

The Top picture one on the right next to the reel with the green spool. Same reel that I have with the dark grey body and the silver spool.

Reel 224

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 17, 2015, 04:48:17 PM
Okay I finished a complete take down on the RU MER and what I ended up doing is a complete trade on the crank gear and L/side body from the parts reel that I had after miking those parts to see if there was a difference in clearance, what I found was the main crank gears were much different from each other in that the castings of the gears were countered one thicker then the other. By changing the gear and body that were matched, everything worked. So one problem solved...actually two, because the anti reverse clicker wasn't working either so by doing a complete breakdown,cleaning,and lubrication that started working. So now you can hear the clicking when it's engaged. The only thing left to repair is the Drag washer. The ID is .360 and the OD is the same as the Penn 200. Here ar some pictures of the reel an one of the main gear I ended up using. My camera is screwing up or I would have taken more.

The picture of the gear and side housing is before I cleaned it up. That grease was hard as tar, I ended up using 301 and Harth and Stove cleaner/ which is a biodegradable product. It works for me since I do not have a ultrasonic cleaner.

You can see the reel here from my earlier post.

handi2

Joe I got you covered. I used the Carbontex washers for a Penn Battle 3000/4000 and enlarged the center hole. You can put one under the spool and then one on top with brass keyed washer on top of that. It works really well and is smooth. The other Carbontex washers in the kit will be for the extra spool.

I'll send the reel too. It has better paint and the sticker is still attached. I'll find a complete half bail before sending. Yours and this one are broken.

No charge..! I've been moving these things around for 20 years.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL