My first lever drag/ international have a question.

Started by SamCar, April 17, 2015, 04:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamCar

Hey guys I have recently bought an original international 50 on ebay for $150.00.  It is in pretty good shape other than when I increase the drag pressure the handle gets incredibly difficult to turn.  Is there any thing that I can do to correct this? I would imagine this has something to do with the axial load being forced onto the bearings but, I really have no idea.  I have not yet taken it apart I will probably do it this weekend.  Also, I saw a post on this site for a bearing sleeve made for an international 30.  Does anyone have the measurement for that sleeve already for the 50?  If I do replace the bearings is there a certain brand or replacement that is better than the other?   I know this has probably been covered to the point where you are tired of hearing it but, for the record, I did search and search trying to find the post about the handle pressure increasing linear to drag increase to no prevail.  ahaha 

-Sam
Lose one rig one. -Capt. Quint

Bryan Young

Nice reel Sam.  You will need a new pinion bearing as a minimum.

When you tear down the reel, you will be able to check each bearing, and the drag washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Welcome, Sam --

Most of us have worked on Internationals --

And there are some real experts on site --

Bryan, Alan, John from Hawaii -- and others.

John probably works on a few of these every week -- doing complete repairs and service.

He will likely check in soon.

Best to do a little research and inspection before replacing parts. These parts are costly -- and one must make sure to get to the root of the issue before replacing any items -- and possibly still having the same issues.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Nice lookimg rerl you got there.  The problem you are mentionimg is likely due to a bad pinion bearing and the right spool bearing may also be bad.  I would do a complete breakdown of the reel before ordering parts.  But often times on these older Internationals, I've had to replace Bellevilles, 2-4 bearings, a new spacing washer (umder preset knob), sometimes dog springs, and you may want to consider a drag upgrade if you have the old donute style.  As Fred mentioned, replacing parts on these reels can get expensive, and some csn be hard to find (clicker parts for instance).  As far as the bearing sleeve dimensions go, I don't know specifically, but I tbink this is a case where you just need to atart with one a little long, and slowly decrease the size, and check it, until it is right.  Alan explains this process in other posts.  Feel free to post pictures, or ask questions if you run into any troubles, and let me know if you are having trouble finding specific parts, and I might be able to help you out.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SamCar

Thanks guys! I will probably break it down this weekend BC the weather here is less than fish friendly.

Alto Mare

Did you back the lever to freespool and adjusting the drag with the pre-set knob gradually?
It is still a good idea to break it down and do a full service, those are not hard to work on. If you're not comfortable doing so, John (Tightline ) above is your man.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SamCar

I did put the reel in free spool and adjust slowly.  It seems as if there is very little drag or a whole lot with not much adjustment in between.  When there is not much drag then it is is fairly easy to turn and then when I tighten it to where I can barely turn the spool with my thumbs with the lever in strike position it gets really hard to turn the handle if i push the lever into full. Even the drag lever gets tight at that adjustment.  The guy i got it from said it has been serviced and there is evidence of new grease around screw holes and what not.  My guess is that it wasn't put together quite right. I'll pull it apart after i get home tonight and see what i find.  Thanks for all the quick replies guys. The only reels i have serviced are my old us senators so this is all new to me.

Tightlines667

Measure the Belleville stack height and report on how they are configured.  Sounds like the stack height might be less then stock and they might be configured differently then stock.  If you midify the config, soacers are sometimes necessary to maintain the proper height.  When you crank the handle and it is binding, or when backing off the lever after binding, does the preset adjust rotate or change?
Hope springs eternal

SamCar

Ok,  This is what I found.  The bearings all seem to be brand new and roll freely with no abnormal cracks, noises, or rough places in them.  The spool shaft however, only has two beveled washers in a () configuration with no other type of spacers on the shaft at all.  Everything else in side the reel seems perfect and greased.  The drag is an original asbestos doughnut that seems to be fine. Read; "someone sell me a DuraDrag."  Here is a picture.  So should I just order two more washers and install it in this configuration, (())?

Tightlines667

There's your problem right there.  Yes order 2 more light Belleville washers (18-50W), and maybe call scott's or Penn and have them through in a few 0.3mm shim washers (in case you need them for tuning purposes).  Arrange them (()), or if you want a slightly steeper curve ((().  

That drag will work fine, but if it was me, I would upgrade to the Duradrag washer/drive plate for about $38.  This will give you a smoother, stronger drag, and considerably less handle backplay.  

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/117DN-50.aspx

Check your bearings before ordering, clean them with mineral spirits, acetone (if there is no plastic), or brake cleaner with shields removed, and check for any roughness when dry.  While you are at it, put a carbon fiber washer under tye preset adjust knob.

At a minimum, I would replace your pinion bearing and get bellevilles.

Keep us posted.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal

SamCar

Sounds good! Thanks guys. Also what carbon fiber washer should I put under the preset knob?

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

SamCar

Tightlines667

I found a cf drag washer at a local shop (40-50).  I can buy it and ship it to you.  Just PM me if interested.

John
Hope springs eternal

SamCar

Got the shins and spring washers today. I cleaned and reassembled everything now it feels awesome. Thanks guys!