Arbor Press

Started by Tightlines667, April 18, 2015, 07:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 20, 2015, 12:07:37 PM
The re-modeled handle is finished - sawn with a hacksaw - faced off - re-blued

Chris,

So the part on the left is going to be used in the arbor press for ALL hole punches instead of the adapter you made? If not please explain.

Thanx,

Leo

Tiddlerbasher

Yes Leo - 'Cos its got a spring loaded point - makes it easier to centre.

Tightlines667

I am still contemplating how best to seat this same handle to my press.  I was wonderimg if my friend with a lathe might be able to cut it off and turn it down to fit the press. 

Last night I did a little online research on accessories for the press that won't break the bank.  Heres what I was thinking...

I was just looking at that stuff last night online.  I would like a large, possobly keyless chuck atrachment (for mounting pin & coller punches and smaller diameter slugs/presses.  I found a magnetic chuck online that wpuld work, as well as a post from a different machinist forum on how to make one using a hard drive, or rare earth magnet.  I was considering it, along with a set of short 2" starter rolled pin punches from Brownelles (mayne the ones with removable pins, or the Crystal or Brownelles set) and a set of larger punches, and block (from and a 1/2" square male to 1/4" male adaptor so I can use hardened sockets.  Still working out what to use to attach my gasket punch adaptor to the press..maybe have a friend cut it and turn it down to 7/16" dia.  As far as the chuck goes, I might look at adapting a 1/2" arbor/drill press chuck to fit the press.  This stuff should stay under $150-$200 total Cost.  Havn't committed to anything, and I am a bit short on time these days, so may have to wait a bit.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

STRIPER LOU

Hi, would you consider boring a hole in the bottom of the ram of your arbor press?

Islandgypsy

Sounds like you are all over this..anxious to hear what you guys come up with to tool up these small presses for our purposes. Still punching washers by hand..

Tightlines667

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on April 24, 2015, 09:06:32 PM
Hi, would you consider boring a hole in the bottom of the ram of your arbor press?

Mine came prebored and magnetized...I wish it had a set screw in the ram itself though.  Guess I could drill and tap one.
Hope springs eternal

STRIPER LOU

How about a simple set of bushings with the center hole sizes you need for your various fixtures. You would have to have a set screw in the ram as well as in the bushing. Is that what you have now?
..................lou

Tightlines667

I don't have a set screw in the ram, but may consider adding one.  Particularly, if the mag. is not strong enough to hold a chuck arbor, with the chuck and whatever its holding in place (this will likely be the case).  I looked at bushings.  The large sized ones are expensive, so I thought a single block (comes with press pins) would be better for support.  Large impact sockets should make for a cheap/effective alternative for large diameter presses.  I might use ABS pipe as support.  A few smaller ones might be good for pressing collared pins (like the dog pins on internationals) in place though.  They also make hollow punches for smaller diameter collered pins (gunsmithimg type).  The other thought was they make some pretty cool sets specifically for pressing and seperating bearings.  They are kinda pricy though.  The adjustable support for the outter bearing collar seems like a good thing to have though.  Guess I really need to think about what specific size and type pins, bearings, and bushings I will be pressing...in addition to cutting CF, Delron, or rubber washers.  I like cheap, effective, and adaptable.
Hope springs eternal

STRIPER LOU

Sounds good. The chuck will give you the ability to use just about any  diameter you like. Great idea! Although the keyless is the quickest and easiest to use you may find that a keyed chuck may be better suited for what your doing. Lots cheaper too.  Putting the set screw in the ram is the way to go. On the shaft of your chuck you can put on a reverse angle or us old timers call it a whistle. That will line up with the set screw in the ram and you'll never have a problem with the chuck pulling out or moving. Don't chintz on the set screw size, go at least 5/16-18. A 1/4"  for the tap drill size or if you want to get fussy letter "F" drill .257. Do you have enough clearance height to get a chuck and your fixtures in place?
Good luck with the project!
.............Lou

Tightlines667

I got my Arbor press set up with a few attachments....

I took Lou's advice and drilled, taped, and mounted a 5/16-18 set screw in the ram.  

I then bought a keyed 1/2" chuck.  It mounts to the ram via a 1/2" time threaded lag bolt that was cut to length.  

I decided to make a quick and easy mount for my 10 piece holow punch set.  I took a 5/8" coarse thread lag bolt, mounted it in a punch.  I affixed 2 nuts directly above.  Then cut it to length, and ground off the threads to get to the 1/2" diameter that fits snugly in the ram.

Unlike Chris, my setup does not have a centering pin for the ram attachment.  However, I still have the origionsal spring-loaded one that comes with the set, so I figure I can quickly mark material first, then finish the outrer and inner diameter cuts in the press.  I might still have my machinist friend correct this small issue.

I also bought a 1/2" drive,  33mm impact socket, and a 2 1/2 " (2 1/8" inner diameter) galvanized pipe coupling for pressing International 80 cam holders.  

Also bought a 1/2" drive, 1 1/2" socket, and a 2 1/2" (w/2 3/8" inner dia) X 2" piece of PVC for pressing the 130 cam holders.  

*The Arbor press came with a 1/2" square drive that fits all 1/2" sockets.  Neck down adaptors allow it to fit any 1/2", 3/8", or 1/4" drive socket that I plan to use as presses.  

I am currently using a 2' section of 1 1/2" abs pipe as a handle extension for the press.  

The magnetized ram the manufacture advertises is nothing more then a strong, flat 1/2" diameter magnet (see picture).

I also plan to buy a cheap plastic cutting board, a set of short (<3"), roll pin starter punches, and a set of press slugs/dies and block.  I might just buy reverse taper replacement roll pins instead of the whole punch set, since they should mount adequetly in the chuck.

This should pretty much cover my forseeable pressing needs.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

More pics...
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

1 more...
Hope springs eternal

Tiddlerbasher