Help with the basics...

Started by tab, April 19, 2015, 07:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tab

Fishing for trout & steelhead has been the mainstay of my past and I'm just learning about larger tackle.

I assume there are proper places to use swivels, snap rings, special knots, and I don't know where these locations are.
I'm hoping a few people here that know the where & why can help out.

If I needed specifics on just a couple things currently they would be these items:

What's the best way to rig tackle when jigging for halibut or lingcod? (E.g.  Mainline, swivel, snap-swivel, leader, snap-swivel, snap ring, jig)
Same question for a dual-hook hoochie skirt bait rig...
What are the 2-3 knots I should learn for using braided line & large diameter mono?

I feel comfortable with the fishing aspect, but knowing more and becoming proficient with setting up a rig will sure be a big help.

Keta

I've used nothing heavier than 50# for halibut for 30 years, 15 in SE Alaska, and have never broken my line on a fish.  My rigs are made with 150# mono.   Lingcod can be landed using lighter gear but leaders should be 50# to keep from getting bit off.

A uni for Spectra and a San Diego for mono up to 200# is a good start.  I do not like the idea of spectra being left in the water and use 60# mainline with a short section of 50# so it breaks first when hung up.

Can you tie salmon mooching rigs?  A "dual-hook hoochie skirt rig" is the same thing.  I do not like double circle hooks. I've used nothing heavier than 50# for halibut for 30 years, 15 of them in SE Alaska, and have never broken my line on a fish.  Lingcod can be landed using lighter gear.

The 3 on the left are what I use for halibut 90% of the time.

Slider for weight.

The bottom hook is rigged properly for halibut.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

theswimmer

Vic Dunaways classic "Baits ,Rigs and Tackle" is a good start.
I also favor the Uni knot as well as a double nail al la Prussic knot for joining braid to mono.
I like the Chain knot for direct connections to swim baits and jigs.
Wire can be tied with afigure eight if you dont have crimpers available.
Dunaways book covers it all however.
Except the chain which can be found on Youtube.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

tab

Thanks, Keta.
The photos of the rigs & connections helps a lot.

I'll look up Dunaway's book as well and see if it has more of what I'm after.

I have plenty of time to learn the knots & how to connect the gear, just need a little direction.
Don't want to rely on the Captain or deck-hand my next time out...  :D

theswimmer

I think Vics book was about $6.95 on Amazon.
Top four knots for strength are the Uni ,Chain, Prussic and the not widely used Butterfly.
I use the Butterfly for building drooper rigs and have never in 30 plus years had one fail at the knot.
Plus it is easy to tie on the pitching deck of a boat😀
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

mike1010

Quote from: Keta on April 19, 2015, 01:50:14 PM
I do not like the idea of spectra being left in the water...

Lee, can you say more about the negatives of leaving spectra in the water?  This is the first time I've heard reservations about that.  Thanks.

--Mike

Keta

Specta does not break down and it floats.   Spectra on the surface gets caught in props and can destroy seals and shafts, Spectra on the bottom is not only a "eco" problem it also causes a lot of unnecessary hang ups.

The "problem" is easily solved by using a short section of lighter mono between the main line and your terminal gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

If you want a fast lesson on tying fishing knots go to this site http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/  It also tells you the various applications.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

tab

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 19, 2015, 10:58:15 PM
If you want a fast lesson on tying fishing knots go to this site http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/  It also tells you the various applications.

Thank you... Great Sunday reading!

Reel 224

Quote from: tab on April 20, 2015, 12:05:48 AM

Thank you... Great Sunday reading!

You are welcome, and I'm sure you will be well satisfied with the help you get here from everyone, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here. Good luck and good fishing.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

theswimmer

That's a great site!
I like the animated section.

Errol Flynn