Show off your favorite Lingcod vertical/yo-yo jig

Started by pjstevko, April 20, 2015, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Some "small" ones caught in late June/early July.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Here's some of my lingcod lures, the hex bar ones are home made

A quick and cheep one

The most important thing on the boat when fishing for lings in yelloweye habitat

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

I agree about the no floaters!   

I have fished with Bill Shelton,  the guy was always talking / working on new ideas.  I still have a bag of stuff he gave me.

Although, for some reason I don't have that release?  Hmmm.

Nice salmon.  Both the fish and the fisherman have a lot of 'silver'.  Heehee.

I pour plastics like that.  I sort of copy Fishtraps and an old friends Fatbaits he produced.  I worked over my molds until I kind of have a hybrid, in-between size.  I thought at times the 3" were too small, and would pull up tiny fish, and other times the 7" were too big and wouldn't get bit.  So I played with it until I got a 5"  for everyday use.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

pjstevko

My second order of jigs arrived....anyone use these facet jigs?

pjstevko

theswimmer

Just a couple of different things I will use.
The fly's are quite big, some as large as 4 inches.
I use them to target lings as per Brian's post , suspended above a bottom bouncing jig that chases the fly.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Sometimes basic and simple is better.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Sometimes you want to dance with the Hot Blonde!

Errol Flynn

whalebreath

Quote from: pjstevko on April 23, 2015, 03:39:24 PMWhat lb leader do you use with that rig?
It looks like 150#-guess there was some lying around somewhere usually  80# is lots.

MarkT

Favorite yoyo jig would be a Salas 6x,  Ling, a Jax jig on the bottom with a Kenji fly on a dropper above it.

It's hard to beat a dropper loop with a sandab as bait for Lings!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

My final order of jigs arrived.....

Rancanfish

I would say you are close to set.

Deep water / current. If you don't have anything in 10-12-14 oz you can make them up using the heavier weights,  or buy Diamond bars pre made.  Or do the copper pipe with lead inside.

Fish will bite anything when they are on.

The toughest day I had was dead calm, no drift, no bite.  So I fell back on my bass fishing experience and just slow crawled jigs w/smaller plastics across the rocks, or bounced it gently in place until I got bit. My buddy never got a bite.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jurelometer

For lings you will almost always do better staying near the bottom.   Jigs that flutter a lot on the drop are a big disadvantage in  a current.    Salas type irons get bit well, but are a pain to fish near the bottom, as you will have a lot more scope in a current.   Braid used to make a nice jig that dropped with  little flutter on the drop, but lots of action on the retrieve.   These type of jigs will be heavier on the bottom.

I love fishing the irons, but I am a big swimbait believer.  There are some tricks for maximizing the effectiveness of a swimbait, but mostly it is a matter of bouncing it of the bottom frequently.   Also swimbaits will generally do a mouth corner hook - easy to release.   When I am releasing a lot of lings, I will even take the barb off of a swimbait jig.   You can often shake off a ling  in the water, but still (usually) not lose of the ones you want to land.  You can also control the  size/species you catch by changing the size of your swimbait.   Unlike an iron, the fish has to get the whole swimbait in its mouth for you to get a hookup.

-J

Keta

I can't wait to try the large swimbaits you sent me to test.

Mark Twain