Show off your favorite Lingcod vertical/yo-yo jig

Started by pjstevko, April 20, 2015, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

After cooling off, drill 1/8" hole approximately 1/8"-1/4" from the end centered on the flat end and another 1/8" hole 5" from the other end.  This dimension is dependent on the length of the hook and swivel you use.  The intent is to have the hook far enough down the pipe that when the lure is dropped rapidly the hook cannot float up and snag you main line and still far enough above the bottom of the lure so the hook won't hit the rocks before the lure body, it helps keep the hook above and reduces the number of lures I get hung up.

Ron Jones

I do not believe you can do better than a pipe jig for big lings. Some of the most fun in PNW water!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Thanks David.  I've always wanted to make those...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

There we go, 20lbs lead, 20' copper, some hardware and rubber skirts  and about  8hrs = 30 bottom fish jigs ready for the boat.

David Hall

Quote from: noyb72 on August 30, 2015, 06:41:18 PM
I do not believe you can do better than a pipe jig for big lings. Some of the most fun in PNW water!
Ron

They are by far my number one producers here on the central coast of California.  I would love to get back up north and fish them one day soon.

steelfish

Quote from: David Hall on August 30, 2015, 10:31:53 PM
There we go, 20lbs lead, 20' copper, some hardware and rubber skirts  and about  8hrs = 30 bottom fish jigs ready for the boat.

How do you prevent the rust on the Cooper tubes?
The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

I would think a good wash down rinse when you get back home.

Steel wool off any green.

Thanks David!!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

David I never fished with something like that.  Is it difficult to feel a bite?  The rock fish and lings I've caught were on drop loops.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Dom,

They are the same as any other bottom jig. My biggest issue with them is trying to keep the yellow eyes off of them. BIG treble hooks help with that.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

As long as you maintain good feel with the jig at all times I have no trouble feeling the bite, as for keeping the yellow eyes off, never been a problem, I haven't hooked, seen or heard of a single one caught where I'm fishing.
As for cleaning I just set them in a plastic tub filled with white vinegar 10 minutes and they sparkle like new again I only do that once a year because the fish do not seen to care one bit if th pipe is dull or shiny, in fact I'm thinking they like the old corroded ones better.

steelfish

Quote from: David Hall on August 31, 2015, 07:44:01 PM
As for cleaning I just set them in a plastic tub filled with white vinegar 10 minutes and they sparkle like new again I only do that once a year because the fish do not seen to care one bit if th pipe is dull or shiny, in fact I'm thinking they like the old corroded ones better.

I asked becasue cooper compared to other metal is one of the first metals (normally used on fishing to get corrosion on saltwater, I really like the idea and design, I might even use one of those $1.00 spray can paints on wallyword to cover them and add a little more protection for corrosion, with one spray can you can paint a lot of those cooper tubes when finished.

The Baja Guy

David Hall

Quote from: steelfish on August 31, 2015, 08:16:32 PM
Quote from: David Hall on August 31, 2015, 07:44:01 PM

I asked becasue cooper compared to other metal is one of the first metals (normally used on fishing to get corrosion on saltwater, I really like the idea and design, I might even use one of those $1.00 spray can paints on wallyword to cover them and add a little more protection for corrosion, with one spray can you can paint a lot of those cooper tubes when finished.

Probably true but since I lose them so fast painting seems like an extra step for no gain.
But go for it if like to see what you come up with.

steelfish

I understand..

But I really dont need anything above 8oz here in Baja (sea of cortez side).
Cooper Pipes for 8oz and 10oz are going to be really short, compares with yours
The Baja Guy

Steve-O

No mistaking a bite when you're into BIG Lings or Big Yelloweyes. These two fine examples were caught by the lodge crew where I go each year.

But nowadays the regs require a deep descender release device for barotrauma'ed rockfish that you don't want to keep or have gone over your limit.

Keta

Where are you at Steve, it's been years since we could harvest the abundant yelloweye.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain