Show off your favorite Lingcod vertical/yo-yo jig

Started by pjstevko, April 20, 2015, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Quote from: Keta on April 28, 2015, 05:24:51 AM
I rarely take photos of lingcod but I can.

I meant the swimbaits sir.  I like to see what every one is making.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Keta

I think so but will measure them after I get back from the stress test.

Mark Twain

jurelometer

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 28, 2015, 05:37:52 AM
Quote from: Keta on April 28, 2015, 05:24:51 AM
I rarely take photos of lingcod but I can.

I meant the swimbaits sir.  I like to see what every one is making.
Quote from: Rancanfish on April 28, 2015, 06:09:53 AM
Is that a 7" ?

The swimbaits that Lee is testing for me are 7and 9 inch nose  to tail( not counting the jig head).  I haven't tried the 9s personally on lingcod, but they did exceptionally well on the yellowtail in both  scratch bites and WFO.  The 7s work well for the local lings and bigger calicos down south.  Most of the lings caught around here are 2 to 4 years old- running about 20-30 inches.

IMHO, If you just want to catch more lings and rockfish, use a shorter swimbait- the big baits mean more short strikes. You are weeding out the smaller fish so your gear is in the zone for larger fish.   I still like the 7s, but most folks fishing San Francisco or further south will fish a 5 or 6.  9s for lings will probably make for a slower day until you get further north.

Here is a shot of my state of the art and highly organized R&D facilities:

-J

Big Tim

Quote from: pjstevko on April 22, 2015, 02:46:55 PM
heres a pic of what I have so far but I've got a bunch in mail as well

The Blade Runner is perfect, but I wouldn't spend a ton on jigs for our central coast. Fishtrapp, long eel like plastics in the shallows, ect... Heavier jigs for deeper water (100"-240') But the fun guys are in the shallows  ;D Nice lot of iron you got going!

Tim

pjstevko

Quote from: Big Tim on April 29, 2015, 03:23:40 AM
Quote from: pjstevko on April 22, 2015, 02:46:55 PM
heres a pic of what I have so far but I've got a bunch in mail as well

The Blade Runner is perfect, but I wouldn't spend a ton on jigs for our central coast. Fishtrapp, long eel like plastics in the shallows, ect... Heavier jigs for deeper water (100"-240') But the fun guys are in the shallows  ;D Nice lot of iron you got going!

Tim

yeah i'm done buying for now until I actually get to go fishing and lose some  ;D ;D ;D ;D

David Hall

I stood next to a guy fishing a 9-10 inch plastic grub on a 16 oz. head and he was slaying giant lings one after the other.  Proving to me that big baits = big fish.  I will have a dozen of them on my next trip.

Rancanfish

Keep in mind where you were fishing David.  If you use a 9" swimbait in the SF area you are going to have a slower ratio of big hits than your rail partner did. IMHO.

I'll echo the post above advocating going smaller.  I also make my pours super soft so I get more action.  You have to change baits more often because they get ripped up on every hit. But at the same time the action causes more hits. A good Catch -22 to have.

But all that said, my biggest ling ever came on an octopus I snagged and immediately dropped back down.  I haven't found a good octi-copy yet.  8)

David Hall

True message, location, location, location.  Holds true for everything!
I'm more than happy to trade off a quantity of smaller fish for the occasional linker.  I'll let you know how it works out for me.  I will have plenty of 6-8-10 oz. heads and soft baits on hand and a bucket filled with Boos Bars from Harry!

Rancanfish

Just saw your reply David.  Good luck with the big boys.

Now I need to know what a Boos Bar is?

David Hall

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 20, 2015, 09:41:23 PM
Hi PJ,

The depth of your location you are fishing dictates what rod/reel and tackle I would fish with.

I like near shore (less than 100 feet).  

Artificials:  I use 20#-30# braid main line with 30# leader tied to a 2-4 oz jig (diamond, P-Line, weighted head curly tail,...  About 2'-3' above the jig, I tie a dropper with a rock fly, curly tail grub,...  where my lure becomes a chaser of that lure above.

Live or Dead Bait:  I use 20#-30# braid main line with 4-6 oz sliding sinker that stops at a swivel.   The swivel is connected to a 2'-4' 30# leader that I attach a live (anchovie) or dead bait (such as a whole squid).  Sometimes, I will attached one of those small clip on float right in from of the squid so it floats above the bottom to reduce snags and keeps the squid in eye view from below and above.

Deep water (up to 240 feet), I use the same rigging method as above except I commonly use 50# braid with 50# leader and weights of the lures increase to 6-10 oz depending on wind and drift.  I use the lightest weight possible.

My rods are between 7'-9' long.  I prefer longer rods because my line is slightly farther out than the guy next to me.  I have an 11' rod that I have yet to try on a charter boat...It may be too long.  Will have to try and see though.

Bryan you gotta show me how you tie on your teaser flies.  I was just making a loop in my line and slipping it through the eye than over the fly, yesterday fish were going after the fly and slicing off my line.

David Hall

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 14, 2015, 01:44:48 PM
Just saw your reply David.  Good luck with the big boys.

Now I need to know what a Boos Bar is?

boos bars are hand poured and plated jigs made locally by rock fish legend Harry Boos.
I had a bucket full but when you get 10 people fishing at once I go through a lot of gear, irons get caught up the instant you stop feeling the bottom and the majority of the time they're lost.
I found an interesting feed on making your own jigs from old stainless flatware.
Led me to the thrift store where I picked up a couple dozen heavy stainless forks, knives and spoons for 6.00.
Flattened the spoons on my little anvil, drilled holes for split rings, ordered up some rings and hooks, they'll end up costing me about 1.05 each so I won't feel so bad when they snag up on the rocks.
You can fancy them up if you want or just slap hooks and swivels on and fish them.