Show off your favorite Lingcod vertical/yo-yo jig

Started by pjstevko, April 20, 2015, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: steelfish on August 31, 2015, 08:16:32 PM
Quote from: David Hall on August 31, 2015, 07:44:01 PM
As for cleaning I just set them in a plastic tub filled with white vinegar 10 minutes and they sparkle like new again I only do that once a year because the fish do not seen to care one bit if th pipe is dull or shiny, in fact I'm thinking they like the old corroded ones better.

I asked becasue cooper compared to other metal is one of the first metals (normally used on fishing to get corrosion on saltwater, I really like the idea and design, I might even use one of those $1.00 spray can paints on wallyword to cover them and add a little more protection for corrosion, with one spray can you can paint a lot of those cooper tubes when finished.

One thing I worry about, and is another reason why I haven't made any, is that copper, if left on the bottom of the sea floor, will kill all coral and aquatic plant life surrounding it.  That is why copper is used in bottom paint of boats.  I believe that the environmental impact is far greater than aluminum, lead, and other materials used in lures.

With that said, copper in salt water produces an electrical voltage that is a great fish attractor.  It is said that the voltage produced by copper mimics fish in distress.  By coating the copper, you will loose this benefit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kmstorm64

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 22, 2015, 02:32:32 PM
Some of my friend think that Abus are rinky dink reels...to them it feels like fishing with a reel with a wire frame.

Being a kayaker, my fav three reels for rockfish are (in no order) Abu 6501 C3 (left hand with power handle), Surfmaster 100, and the Shimano TR 100G, Rods I love the Shimano Trevela in ML, it has great sensitivity.  Keep in mind kayak fishing is not the same as boat fishing, we can use the kayak as a form of drag on big fish. Line of choice 20 lb mono, why, you try to break something really heavy you stand the chance of going off balance  and rolling over. Not fun at all.

Jigs, squids jigs from P-line with torpedo weights in 2 ounces seem to work good. Swim baits with a shrimp fly teaser also gets the job done.  One guy in my kayak club used a Barbie doll, some one else used a Minion toy, which goes to show, lings will hit just about anything.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Steve-O

Quote from: Keta on September 01, 2015, 12:51:48 PM
Where are you at Steve, it's been years since we could harvest the abundant yelloweye.

Prince of Wales Island is where I fish each year.

The regs have changed over the last 15 years. The descender fish release is a must to return rockfish to their depth if not retaining any or have reached that species harvest limit.

One of the boat captains at the lodge say because of this it virtually makes huge areas " unfishable" due to the abundance of Yelloweyes.  And the Lingcod harvest is 2 for a Non-resident  Both must be one in each slot size ie- a big one and a little one.

For a Non-Res (me) only one Yelloweye harvested per year on the Outside waters where I fish. Inside waters it's two annual limit.  For Residents - 1 a day all year.

• Southeast Outside Waters
• Alaska Residents— no size limit, 2 daily, only 1 may be a yelloweye;
4 in possession, of which no more than 2 may be yelloweye.
For Nonresidents—no size limit, 2 daily, only 1 may be a yelloweye;
4 in possession, of which no more than 1 may be a yelloweye; annual limit
of 1 yelloweye, which must be recorded, in ink, on the back of the angler's
sport fishing license or on a harvest record card immediately at the time of
harvest (see page 6).

Southeast Inside Waters
• Alaska Residents—no size limit, 3 daily, only 1 may be a yelloweye;
6 in possession, of which no more than 2 may be yelloweye.
• For Nonresidents—no size limit, 2 daily, only 1 may be a yelloweye;
4 in possession, of which no more than 2 may be yelloweye; annual limit
of 2 yelloweye, which must be recorded, in ink, on the back of the angler's
sport fishing license or on a harvest record card immediately at the time of
harvest (see page 6).

David Hall

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 01, 2015, 03:04:27 PM
Quote from: steelfish on August 31, 2015, 08:16:32 PM
Quote from: David Hall on August 31, 2015, 07:44:01 PM
As for cleaning I just set them in a plastic tub filled with white vinegar 10 minutes and they sparkle like new again I only do that once a year because the fish do not seen to care one bit if th pipe is dull or shiny, in fact I'm thinking they like the old corroded ones better.

I asked becasue cooper compared to other metal is one of the first metals (normally used on fishing to get corrosion on saltwater, I really like the idea and design, I might even use one of those $1.00 spray can paints on wallyword to cover them and add a little more protection for corrosion, with one spray can you can paint a lot of those cooper tubes when finished.

One thing I worry about, and is another reason why I haven't made any, is that copper, if left on the bottom of the sea floor, will kill all coral and aquatic plant life surrounding it.  That is why copper is used in bottom paint of boats.  I believe that the environmental impact is far greater than aluminum, lead, and other materials used in lures.

With that said, copper in salt water produces an electrical voltage that is a great fish attractor.  It is said that the voltage produced by copper mimics fish in distress.  By coating the copper, you will loose this benefit.

Dang Brian whyd you have to tell me that?  Im going to have to switch over to Aluminum pipe!  see how they work out, I dont want to responsible for killing all the reef life!
Its bad enough that I was watching the Big Blue special on TV last night and think I found my lost crab pot!
One was cut loose from a humpback whale in the Bay!  I dropped one and four hours later it had dissapeard entirely,  I looked for it for days but never found it, I was sure it was stolen, right out of the middle of my string.  Im going to stop by the Monterey Bay aquarium and check it out next time I am down there.

Bryan Young

Copper works so well because of the electricity that is generated.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

HOLY-O Steve-o!

I have never seen rockfish of any variety that big.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

Not trying to hijack a thread, but found round 1/2" dia. solid copper stock for $9 per 12", weighing about 3/4 lb per foot....but could this be used instead of the copper tubing filled with lead?  Might save some time and burnt fingers....but probably not cheaper.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

David Hall

Quote from: TARFU on September 26, 2015, 05:40:43 AM
Not trying to hijack a thread, but found round 1/2" dia. solid copper stock for $9 per 12", weighing about 3/4 lb per foot....but could this be used instead of the copper tubing filled with lead?  Might save some time and burnt fingers....but probably not cheaper.....

It could most definitely be used, rebar and galvanized pipe are used, but for that kind of money you can buy really nice mass produced jigs.
I only make pipe jigs because I can make ten for the price of one good store bought jig, that and the fact that pipe jigs work better than anything Else I have ever tried store bought or home made.

Rancanfish

;D  I just read over this thread again.  Very enjoyable 1/2 hour spent rereading.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

pjstevko

Just an update on my personal choice....After trying many different jigs for the central CA coast this has become my favorite jig for big lings and rockfish (any color)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAIVO-3D-PITTBOSS-II-VERTICAL-JIGS-Col-Anchovy-SLOW-Jig-BOTTOM-LING-RED/162027869757?hash=item25b99d163d:m:mqTBw09-MSZSq6lZR7tCbEQ

Vintage Offshore Tackle

We have to be ready for really big ling cod up here in Morro Bay!

pjstevko

Can't wait to see the other anglers faces when you walk down the dock carrying that monster setup!

Fishy247

QuoteWe have to be ready for really big ling cod up here in Morro Bay!

Please tell me that you're bringing that on the 1st.... ;)

David Hall

Super secret weapon.  A modified Steve-O-

jon_elc

this is a good thread!  i found an old hexbar (10 size) in grandpa's old box of weights.  replaced the rusty treble with a new one.  it might be a little small, but we'll see.  i'll be amazed if it works.  i have some diamond jigs and big swimbaits to try, too.