best value light spinning reel

Started by q3fishboy, April 20, 2015, 10:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

I am looking to replace my shimano sahara 2500 fb (and possibly shimano sahara 4000 fb as well) as they are finally dying.

I have been fishing them in the surf for several years and have been very satisfied with how they have performed, but the newer versions have gone up quite a bit in price and no longer come with a spare spool.

I have taken them apart and cleaned them many times but I think they are finally done.

I am on a budget, so, just wondering what relatively cheap spinning reel would be the best value.

Looking to use them for 6lb - alb line generally.

Thanks a bunch for all of the help.

STRIPER LOU

Hi, You might consider the Penn Battle and I believe the Battle II series. I have a couple of the 5000's  which is much larger than your looking for, but an excellent reel. The BTL II 1000, 2000, and 2500 are listed on Scotts and retail for $99. These are the little guys. Seen them on ebay for in the $70/75 dollar price range. Great value. Scotts has the specs by the way.
Good luck,  ..  Lou

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

STRIPER LOU

WOW, that 110 ultra light looks like a bargain!

bluefish69

Either one of the Quick Reels are Very Good. I have a 430SS & I paid 1/2 what he wants. Going to be good Snapper Reel [Baby Blues]

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

Unfortunately --

The medium to small Quicks will not hold up in the Salt -- in no time, they will be ruined -- particularly in the surf. 

The only Quick for the Salt, would be a 270 Super -- which is a fairly large reel.

I might consider a simple old school Penn -- like a "7" series in whatever size you desire.

Or one of the Penn Battles, as indicated earlier.

The less unneeded parts, the simpler the design utilizing a worm drive -- and perhaps a manual bail pickup.

Metal parts are better than graphite -- in surf and salt conditions.

IMO.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bestout

if your really on a budget shimano sienna are good if you want something better than sahara on that price range then the saros is good too.
The monsters in my head are scared......

fIsHsTiiCkS

- newer get a Pflueger President.  Not meant for salt but with the right lube and oil service it will hold up very well

-older Penn 720.

MarkT

If you got a new Sahara will your existing spools still fit?  I've got a couple of Sahara's I use in fresh water but I think my son used the 2500 for surf fishing too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Three se7ens

I think okuma is the best bang for the buck for under $100 reels.  The ARB is a pain to service, but the reels are well built, and the perceived quality far surpasses their price.  If service and longevity are an issue, m first recommendation is the fin nor lethal series, probably a 40 size for what you are looking at.  The side plate comes off without removing the rotor, and they are strong, simple, and easy to work on.  Not as smooth as others, but wont leave you cussing when it comes time to service it either.

johndtuttle

I cannot recommend old discontinued reels (as fine as they are) unless the poster specifically says he is happy to scrounge parts and deal with the idiosyncrasies of mechanical dog ratchets, extra weight and slow retrieves.

For a small reel for the salt nothing will live longer than a 710Z or 430ss in direct proportion to your care of the reel and willingness to find parts.

BUT, they are heavy, clunky reels that will make a Sienna seem like uber tech silky smooth from the 21st century...o wait :D.

I am gonna go with Handi2's recommendation of the Quantum Cabo's in the small sizes. No experience yet with the small Lethals from Fin Nor, but the highly variable quality of the big ones has me shy. Even Okuma is a contender.

Fact of the matter is that you cannot improve on Shimano's, Daiwa's or Penn's offerings either. They are all inexpensive reels built to a price but very smooth and fun to use for a time.

You will know if and when you are ready for old school. I still admire my 710z and can't bear to part with the last spinning reel I would ever need....but I always reach for something else for superior fish-ability.

Penn 710Z for the Zombie apocalypse though! :D

Bryan Young

I would recommend Daiwa's Black Gold series.  I would say same caliber as Penn' original SS series and still build today.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 21, 2015, 07:00:35 PM
I would recommend Daiwa's Black Gold series.  I would say same caliber as Penn' original SS series and still build today.
I agree, but I do like the spool shaft on the Penn ss a little better. Both will work forever, if you treat them as you should.
John was right about the vintage reels being a little heavy, but the 420ss, 430ss, 714Z or 716Z are not that heavy. The problem though would be trying to find parts. With that said, I'm seeing many parts listed on line lately... I do not have that problem ;D.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.