best value light spinning reel

Started by q3fishboy, April 20, 2015, 10:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMachine

The newer black golds are good reels in my opinion but they are not cheap.  The screws on them looks like they were made for a transformers kids toy. Mine is working good now (its new)and the line winding on the spool is the best I've seen but I don't know how Its going to hold up.   

Tiddlerbasher

For a bang for the buck reel (for the surf) I would go for an Okuma RageII or Cedros. All metal and very tough. I have them in several sizes although my go to spinning reel is the RageII 40 size. The Okuma Trio (cheaper) in smaller sizes is also worth considering - I have the 20, 30 and 55 in the Trio.

philaroman

speaking of best value, in general: BUY WHEN THE BUYIN' IS GOOD -- NOT, WHEN NEEDED IN A HURRY!!!  i.e., just about any reputable brand $100+ reel bought at <50% MSRP will be better than any $50 reel, provided that size/weight/features match intended use & intended rod

steelfish

Im a budget guys so, I know what you talking about.

take a look to the okuma avenger reels you can find them for $30 every day on fleabay, I have one that its being used by my kids and still going strong since 7 years

for my shore fishing needs of triggerfish, spotted baybass, corvinas and small sierras are pretty good

The Baja Guy