What's your all time favorite reel ?

Started by Phinaddict, December 09, 2010, 06:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj632/Fubarciw/fishing%20equip/100_7513.jpg
Sorry for the late reply....the cream colored reel is a Garcia 600 with the required cracks inhdg the handle plates...it had asbestos/fiber drag washers that were replaced with CF drags and now is in my salmon jigging rotation...still love my 112H's...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ez2cdave

My FAVORITE REEL is the one that ALAN hasn't given me, yet, for my BIRTHDAY or CHRISTMAS . . . LOL ! ! !

Shark Hunter

::)
Alan has provided us with this great place to mingle and share our findings and knowledge.
It is not a free give away. You give some and you take some. Then do it again.
Its all about paying it forward here. ;)
Sal taught me this lesson. If you stick around long enough. It will sink in. ;D
Life is Good!

redsetta

QuoteIt's all about paying it forward here.  ;)
Well said Darron
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Three se7ens

Quote from: redsetta on August 05, 2015, 07:38:11 AM
QuoteIt's all about paying it forward here.  ;)
Well said Darron

Ive seen it myself.  Put in the time to help others, and you will get yours on the other side.  Ive never seen an online community that takes care of its own like this place. 

Cor

When I was young the Penn 49 was what everyone aspired to own, I had 3  fished them for many years but can't call them my all time favourites.

1990 I bought my first Diawa SL50SH, still own 4 in working order and at least 7 wrecks that are all worn out.   I have not found an all round work horse that lasts like that with minimum maintenance, simple, cast beautifully, and has hardly ever let me down.

I now have a number of newer, more sophisticated and much more expensive reels as well, but the Daiwa SL50SH still does it for me!
Cornelis

Hoochrip

Shimano Bantam Mag 251 baitcaster
Penn 714Z, 710Z
Newell P332F
Penn Jigmaster 500/505 99 frame with the extras

Jenx

Penn Surfmaster 100 is the first reel I ever took apart, cleaned up, and fixed.

That reel will always have sentimental value. Plus I like how compact it is.

David Hall

If I have to pick just one it's got to be 4/0 penn.  it will outlast me!

steelhead_killer

Shimano Calcutta TE101 GT  It is my primary river reel for salmon and steelhead.  Casts like a dream, magged, and decent drag #'s.  Smooth little guy!
><)))">

Gfish

Great thread! Love my Diawa Lexa 400(power model), but time'll tell if it holds up. Really an impressive inshore lure caster for less than $250. But I gotta go with the first reel I ever bought; Mitchell Garcia 306 spinner. Surf, rocks, pier, freshwater, etc. Well made, easy to service , if I remember right (been a-while since  I  open it up) it's got only bushings, no bearings. It got in a 5 ft. S.F. Bay Leppord Shark,  and my first steelhead: a 22 lb'er(California record at that time was 28 lbs.), on 10 lb. test,... so many memories. She's a bit worn out in places, but still a workhorse.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MFB

My Shimano 6500B baitrunner. It's reliable & easy to use, I have caught more fish with it than all my other reels and it was a gift from a close friend.

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

spc7669

Freshwater
Abu Garcia 5500C
Shimano Stradic 2500

Saltwater
Shimano Torium 16 with Trinidad spring and dog upgrade
Shimano Curado 300DSV

I'm hoping to try some higher end saltwater reels in the near future, so this list may get revised.

Makule

Really old thread, but Bryan, did you ever get a Templar?

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 10, 2010, 04:25:29 AM
A couple of reels come to mind.   Pfleuger Capital was my first surfcasting reel.  I really wanted a Templar, but it was probably too big for me.  Then my trusty Penn Long Beach 259.  After that, my Penn 113HLW.  Now, my Pro Gear CS551 and CS501 reels with spectra.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

rtpzwms

OK I'm game.

I'll say a DAM Quick 220 my first spinning reel, and a 1953 Mitchell 300 that belonged to my dad.