What's your all time favorite reel ?

Started by Phinaddict, December 09, 2010, 06:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder Boy 3

Abu Cardinal 54 and Quick 331 are my favorites.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Makule on July 09, 2016, 02:42:20 AMReally old thread, but Bryan, did you ever get a Templar?

There are no "OLD" threads of this type . . . A subject like this can be added onto, forever !

Tight Lines !

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

mley1

I'm real partial to an Abu 6500CS. I upgraded the bearings, added a cog wheel with bearing, and a dual bearing level wind. Plus a ceramic pawl. She will really cast a long way. And, I upgraded her drags to carbontex with Cals grease. From the outside she looks like a tame old Abu. On the inside she's a race horse raring to fish. My fishing buddy's use mostly Shimano Curados. I smile, just a little, when I cast farther with that 6500CS. I've caught a ton of fish with her. She rides an old work horse of a rod, one of the early Ugly Stick Inshore rods, a 7 footer. With 30lb braid, I can catch some pretty good fish with that rig. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Swami805

My 2 favorites are newells, a p220f and a p332f that I bought new when they first came out. I built 2 contender rods to put them on. I still use use the 8' contender with the 220, great anchovy set-up for flylining. I have the 332 on a seeker Ulua, throws a jig a mile.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

I'm not capable of narrowing down to one, but:

The Cherry Bomb: 501 I built with CC plates, Tib frame, SS guts courtesy of my man Sal.
Slammer 360: Go to spinner for everything from bass to bailing mahi
International 30STW: best all around offshore troller in my neck of the woods
Penn 525 Mag / 535 / 545 / 555: surfcasting, king mackerel / mahi live bait / light trollers. Never one problem out of one in regular use since 1996.
Everol Super 50 Waterproofs: Wife gave me a matched pair for tenth anni. Never seen any others.
9500SS: just because.
Tom H. Jiggy full conversion frame / plate with anni spool and matching red Accurate handle. One of a kind afaik, and stunning.

sharkman

If I had only one choice it would be my Avet LX.  I have caught all variety of fish from snapper to grouper with the reel.  It is light but stronger for those long range trips.

Southernreelservicing

A hard choice between my 1500C Abu and my 420ss spinfisher. I would have to say my soon to be retired 420ss. After buying every spool complete with drag knob and 4 x 4300ss (again to use the drag knob) i now am on my last drag knob. Like most of you guys i actually would have struggled to keep it to my dozen favourites.

The rest would be a list of my beloved older penns

basto

2/0 Senator, and I don`t even own one. Like my two 3/0 senators a lot and think a narrow version would be great.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

pjstevko

Reviving an old thread....

For rockfish jigging it's my CC/Tib 501XN

For live bait small tuna it's a Penn Fathom 15ld2

For bft jigging it's a Mak 16SEa

Shellbelly

I had the most fun fishing with friends using a Peerless #9.  We targeted Sheepshead and found them.  So much fun that I retired the reel.

#309 is my favorite surf reel.

Ambassadeur 6500 is my favorite wade fishing reel...today.

Sailfisher is my favorite model in the collection...so far.

"of all time" is a tough subject for my brain.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

redsetta

It's changed over the years for me, but always been related to the place and kind of fishing.
When this thread started over a decade ago, it was my 113H Tani/Sal/Tiburon custom, because (aside from being just plain awesome!) it only came out when chasing kingfish in local waters.
Over the past few years, after a life-changing accident and a decision to start ticking off bucket-list trips, it's been my Accurate Obsidian BX600NN, because it meant I was days offshore and jigging for some of the world's biggest kings, hapuku and bass.
More recently, it's been my Accurate Valiant BV300, because it only comes out when I've already had a load of monster king action and am enjoying a bit of slow-pitch 'prospecting' for trevally, king tarakihi, bluenose etc...
Was fun to think about - thanks for reviving the thread.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

thorhammer

Hmmmmmm. it was hard in 2016 and I've prolly doubled the collection since then. I started to name, and it became a paragraph in a hurry- some for sentimental reasons, some as users, some for rarity. Since 2016 I have added two 6500CT Mag Elites that I wanted since the 90's, tho.

Wompus Cat

Pretty Much any thing  with Good Line on it and Cranks pretty Good is My Favorite.  :fish
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

reelrepair123