Frankenstein!

Started by otghoyt, April 21, 2015, 01:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt

OK gear heads...What can you Identify here?  She be uuuugly but she be righteous and on a empty wallet budget too.

The only new parts are AT's SS 505 gear sleeve, Bryon's 5 plate stack, new Penn bushings polished in to spin and that shiny 24-55 crank with rubberized handle.  Everything else came one here and one there from various previous owners.  This is the reel I intend to fish with 30#, 40# and if the bite is hot 'n fast, 50# line.  

It is mounted on an old Fenwick E-glass 7' 15/50 rod.  I have 4:1 gears with a Parkerized steel main and it is built to crank in 40 pound SoCal tuna till my arms lock up!  I spent forever and a day gettin this sucker square to the world and blueprinted to .003 on everything that moves.  I had to use a tiny little ball hone on the side plate to get Pro Challenger's spacing sleeve to behave!  I made a shim washer to go under the gear sleeve to keep the slop from letting the gears wander around.  It gave me a consistent pattern with gold colored metal die on the gears.  There are extra long screws in the graphite reel seat and mismatched cross bars.

As money comes my way I'll throw in a polished stainless yoke and I have new stainless screws on the way. With those last few parts I'll have 147.00 bucks in her including the 3 Newell spools and 86.00 of that is in brand new parts from right here!  Yeah I coulda just bought a 4/0 and been right there but it wouldn't have been near as versatile and besides...I made this sukkah!  Frankenstein rules!!!

Keta

Nice! 

No SS AR dog?  PM me an address and we can cure that.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

Nice work - there's such satisfaction in completing a 'Franken-build'.
Good luck putting it to work!
Cheers for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

harryk3616

looks great, use it in the best of health, you get  alot of satifaction doing a job like that, kudos

fIsHsTiiCkS

NIce setup! I really  like the idea of putting the 259 side plate on the reel. What are your plans for the 3 spools?

George4741

I initially thought it was a 505. There's nothing ugly about your reel. Ugly is as ugly does!
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Good Job on that Frankenstein Hoyt. It looks good! ;D
Life is Good!

otghoyt

Interesting little beast, huh?  

Three Newell spools = 30, 40, 50 pound line.  

Oh poop!  That is a double dog SS bridge.  Add another 27 bucks to the build total.  Drat!

I have some 506s and a 505 but I wanted this reel to be slow geared to be Bluefin haulin machine.  I would liked to have done a Yellowfin Special but I be too po.   I did ask Alan T. if he was inclined to turn out some threaded spacer sleeves so a guy could use the 505 side plate with a little bronze spacer.  Put some red loctite into the plate threads, screw it in, then you could simply use a 500 bushing.  Instant Senator.  He said too much work for too little gain.  I guess that's OK.  I don't think he understands my particular psychosis.

I used to build cars with Clint Brawner and motorcycles for C.R. Axtell.  Those days are long gone but I just gotta build something.  Going out on an open charter tomorrow.  Had a little squall roll through with drop in the barometer.  Hope it doesn't screw things up.  Hopefully there's a picture worth posting.

Thanks for the interest guys......and as always Sharkhunter too

Keta

Put a Surfmaster 250 side plate assembly on it and it will be 3:1.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Just remember, Frankenstein was the doctor/builder, the monster didn't have a name. Looks good, hope you catch them all.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Keta on April 21, 2015, 05:12:37 AM
Put a Surfmaster 250 side plate assembly on it and it will be 3:1.

Or have the Penn 99 as a swap out. Im building a reel with a jigmaster 5:1 and then a 99 swap out for 3:1. Its almost a 2 speed  ;D

otghoyt

4:1 and a long crank arm is just the speed I like for my intended purpose.  I like my 5:1 ratio 506s for ripping jigs but I dislike them with anything over 40 pounds on the other end.  Too hard to crank and really works the drags.

I have a couple old "E-Z Reel" cranks on 2 of my 506s to slow them down a little.  I can extend those cranks with a fish on.  Can't get that with satellite!

H

Slazmo

Quote from: day0ne on April 21, 2015, 05:13:56 AMJust remember, Frankenstein was the doctor/builder, the monster didn't have a name.

Yeh he did "Frankenstein's Monster". Mr Monster for short ;)

Keta

Quote from: WOTHoyt on April 21, 2015, 06:01:54 AM
4:1 and a long crank arm is just the speed I like for my intended purpose.  

4:1 is a good speed for most of what I do but I like 3:1 at times.

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on April 21, 2015, 05:57:09 AM
Or have the Penn 99 as a swap out. Im building a reel with a jigmaster 5:1 and then a 99 swap out for 3:1. Its almost a 2 speed  ;D

I have 1 stock 250 I don't plan on using and a 250N I can't wait to use. 

Mark Twain

otghoyt

Keta:  I'll have to do some reel research before I can grasp the concept of not wanting to use a 250 and itching to use a 250N.  Don't tell me...let me look it up and calculate the reasoning.  

Did you go back through the pictures and find the SS/DD bridge?  You may be assured how much I value such a product if I pried open my wallet to purchase it.  I am a big time tight wad but when I make up my mind, I usually buy the best.  Are those dogs on the SS bridge your work?  

I need 3 of the standard, Penn 500 model SS dogs for my 505/6s.   Then I need 3 of the dogs for the other side to make a DD set up.  I also need 3 dog springs.  PM me a link  to purchase or quote me a price and your preferred method of payment and I'll give you my address.

Fishing stunk!  I think the barometric pressure drop had them holding fast.  The few I hooked were bitten off by our wonderful California Sea Lions.  All I got was heads.  Dropping the anchor is like ringing a dinner bell.  I know those seals are down there making ceviche with my fish!

And hey to Dayone.   Who was Frankenstein's Bride? Was she intended for the doctor or for the monster? Frankenstein's Bride?  Frankenstein's Bride....Hmmmmm...maybe.......