Rod Weight Ratings

Started by Ruffy, April 21, 2015, 03:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

For a rod with a rating which spans two values at what weight do you fish it? I have a rod which is rated from 8 to 15 kg (Silstar CB-601TBH, 6', 1, Heavy, 8kg-15kg, DOUBLE HAND OVERHEAD). Do I fish it with my Calcutta 400B as an 8 kilo rig or my TSM IV at a heavier weight? It feels better to me with the 400B, I was just wondering if there is a rule of thumb when it comes to weight ratings which aren't fixed. Do you fish the lower, the higher or the middle ground of the rating?

Cheers,
Andrew

Newell Nut

Typical drag settings are 1/3 of the highest line rating but that is not always true. Some will fail at 20% of the max line rating. The safest thing is to talk to a factory rep.

wallacewt

hi ruffy
8kg/15kg rod,general practice is 1/2 way=11 1/2kg
id load the sp/m reel with 40lb mono or braid,or both, 10lb drag.the rod will handle that with ease as will the reel.
i dont think the line would touch the blank under load,
if it doesnt you have got a bit in reserve,if it does back off a little bit
you like the calcutta,use the rod for both
have fun,cheers

MarkT

Most rods fish best in the middle of the range.  The low number is the lightest to fish given the flex in the tip.  The high number is the heaviest based on the pulling power of the butt.  Often both numbers aren't realistic... especially the higher number!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!