HALIBUT AND STRIPER FISHING AND FOOD MAY 14, 2015

Started by Dominick, April 23, 2015, 01:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi folks.  I am reporting that I am going fishing on this charter.  I think it is a good deal, breakfast lunch and bait.  There are about 10 openings right now if anyone is interested.  Check out the California Dawn.  Dominick

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/penn-2015-northern-california-halibut-striper-trip-aboard-the-california-dawn-may-14-2015.577041/

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

That sounds like great fun.  As long as they don't go out the gate.......
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

It's like being on a cruise.  I think it is the only party boat with a kitchen that serves meals.  Once on board you can make a choice to fish or sit around and eat or fish and eat or... You get it.  I'll post some pictures next week.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Dom,

Have a great fishing/cruise trip!!!!
I am a NO GO, driving to Eureka, CA on the same day for a family member graduating from HSU.

I'll stop on the Golden Gate Bridge & WAVE to you and Rick!!!!!  Hope it's not foggy!

Fish ON!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

alantani

i'll take a look.  i have the day off, but it depends on how much work i get done this weekend. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Sounds like fun.  Would be great to fish with Steve too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

yeah, that's what i was thinking.  i have that old glass custom rod that harry made for me years ago.  i also have an old penn 99, some conversion kits, and i'm sure i could put together a jigmaster side plate before the trip, 

gotta get to work and clear out this garage before i start thinking about a fishing trip again.  taking my boat out last week put me three days behind, 

alantani

ok, just signed up.  i have a beautiful old fiberglass rod made by harry james (fishstick rod repair).  he gave it to me years ago but i never had the opportunity to fish with it until now.  i was going to put together a jigmaster 99 special but i don't have enough time, so i'll just use the penn torque 25N.  i'll just switch out the 40# topshot for 20#'s.  this is gonna be fun!!!!!

steelfish

dont forget to put pics when you guys come back, have fun

The Baja Guy

newfuturevintage

Looking forward to the report.  Got an appraiser coming over in the AM keeping me from joining.

alantani

steve carson from penn reels!

the charter group, penn university.

san francisco at dawn.

rick and warren!

the galley.

the penn torque 25n that i got from steve carson a couple of years ago.

rick and larry.

dominick and warren.

the golden gate bridge.

mid morning in san francisco.

alcatraz island.

steve carson.

the transom.

starboard.

the fish box. 

port side with our deckhand, chris.

alcatraz prison.

me and steve carson!

our catch for the day!

who says norcal guys don't spend alot of money on tackle!

steve, thanks a million for a great trip.  dom and rick, great fishing with you two and thanks for driving!

Dominick

I don't know when Alan sleeps.  I thought I would add some of my photos.  The catch was limits of Striped Bass and only two keeper Halibut.  It was interesting weather wise.  The wind coming off the pacific was like ice.  The sun was hot and depending on which way the boat was facing you were either freezing or toasting.  
Steve Carson Penn rep announcing the rules for prizes.  Alan caught the biggest Striper on the boat and guess what the prize was?  A Penn rod and reel.  

Here one of my friends and fishing buddies Rick.  Always grinning in a good mood.  

This one is titled seagull with SF and Willie J. Brown, Jr. Bay Bridge boondoggle in background.

From left to right Larry, Rick and Alan.

Close-up of "The Rock."  

Here are 2 photos of a mystery fish.  It looked like a miniature Lingcod.  It was really aggressive, had sharp pointy teeth  and bit a couple of guys handling it.  The anchovy it went after on the hook was just as long as this fish. That's aggressive.

Here I am with the days catch.

Here is Alan and I with the days catch.

Here is the boat's deck hand Chris at the California Dawn's cleaning station.

Reel 224

Nice catch of stripers, how much did the pool winner weigh? I didn't know Halibut were in Cali waters, I always thought they were in the Bearing Sea off the coast of Alaska. Hey if I beat Alan's stripers can I get that rod and reel? Just sayin.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Doug

Nice pictures thanks for taking us along Looks like a good catch of stripes aswell

newfuturevintage

Thanks for the updates, looks like it was a great time out!