COLLECTING QUESTION

Started by LTM, April 23, 2015, 05:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

i've gotten older now and have more time behind than ahead, thank God for the time. Ive been fortunate enough to hold on to a few things/collectibles in different interests Ive had in my lifetime. Unfortunately I dont have any kids or close friends that are NOT close to my age that have any similar interests. I still find myself fascinated with getting a few things from time to time when I can afford them and some end up being collectible in nature.

When I attempted to stop the occasional purchases; I found my spirit in distress and longing for the fascination/interest. When I started back I felt better and more alive. The nagging question is: Why continue and what should I do with my few things? Ive seen mint condition old Diawa gold big game 2 speed lever drag reels of my grand dad sold to get a washing machine. This is just not acceptable to my spirit!!!!!!! Maybe one day I'll sell off most and do something on my bucket list while I still can.

Your help is appreciated,

Leo

coastal_dan

Leo - I would say though that if you enjoy it and it makes you feel alive, positive and motivated then keep on buying!  The search for something valued is just as good as buying.

The idea of a big trip/bucket list item sounds like a great one!  That one thing you thought you'd never do just may be possible.  By selling the items it feeds someone else's collecting needs and you get something fantastic in return.

Take a look at this post from Fred, may be some food for thought.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13426.0

Good luck in your quest!

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

LTM

Dan,

Thanx for sharing your thoughts/views to my question. Some very good points youve mentioned. I read Freds post some time back when first posted and thanx Fred for your post. It would be nice IF more young people took an interest into how things are/were done instead of like "magic" its done! Technology is driving most people indoors PROVIDING PROGRAMMING FOR THE MIND, instead of developing the mind to create. Too much knowledge is being lost to technology. Yes this forum is a product of technology, but its for creating/sharing research and development and thoughts. Technology is a tool not a life style. BTW, Im a disabled/semi-retired (yes it sucks) super computer engineer (aka "change merchant") who is the last person to change for technology. Yes, Id like a Fathom 25NLD2 and some rods to go with some reels, but not much else. I guess as Ive gotten older my expectations for what I purchase lies with my older experiences with products that were built to last and todays products are built the opposite.

Please continue to share your thoughts,

Leo

Penn Chronology

Really hard question for me. Especially that my wife and kids simply do not care about anything I collect, to them it is all just stuff. My wife asks me sometimes to log everything, so if something happens to me, she will know what to do with it all. Of course I keep procrastinating about it and have never got it done.

Sometimes I ask myself how crazy is all this collecting? If I ever figure it out, I will let you all know, as of right now, it does not make any sense to me yet. So I may change the question to, "How crazy am I for doing this?" ??? ???

thorhammer

Well, I had set a number at which I figured enough was enough. I counted up today and found that due to some recent acquisitions (a deal is deal, right?) I am north of that number by about 15 reels if I count the shelf queens in the man cave display case. So I have redefined  the number to only include Sticked, ready to fish inventory.  I guess my comment is that all of us only get to fish a fraction of what we'd like; and you can still get your jones by acquiring the odd piece or waiting on the mail from Scott's or flea bay like  a kid at Christmas.  If it makes you happy stay on it. 

John

LTM

Quote from: thorhammer on May 14, 2015, 05:05:57 PM
Well, I had set a number at which I figured enough was enough. I counted up today and found that due to some recent acquisitions (a deal is deal, right?) I am north of that number by about 15 reels if I count the shelf queens in the man cave display case. So I have redefined  the number to only include Sticked, ready to fish inventory.  I guess my comment is that all of us only get to fish a fraction of what we'd like; and you can still get your jones by acquiring the odd piece or waiting on the mail from Scott's or flea bay like  a kid at Christmas.  If it makes you happy stay on it. 

John
John, thanx for your reply, it brought a smile to my face.

Leo

redsetta

QuoteIf it makes you happy stay on it.
Well said John - x2.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

STRIPER LOU

Hey Leo, I guess at some point we will collect more goodies and do less fishing?
If it makes you happy all is good. I get to the point where I swap or sell one thing for another. It keeps me interested without getting too out of control. NOT!!!!
Keep doing what your doing and enjoy yourself.
.................Lou