Under star washers

Started by cubanaso, April 24, 2015, 09:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

You should get away with a metal washer, but as you already know, I prefer a Delrin washer there.
Adam did a great job on the star, not only they look great, those are tapped to perfection. One flick of the finger and the star screws itself in all the way.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I sent a Newell star to use as a pattern and Adam failed to use it so we have a problem that needs to be corrected. You can add more washers temporarily to make the SS star work but should not be that way.

Alto Mare

I hear you, but I personally rather have a Delrin washer there instead of a thicker star.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Sal
The star was supposed to be patterned after the thinner P series alum star with a thinner hub as well. Just did not happen. The whole project idea was to replace the thick plastic stars.

I just went out and played around with my 540 and found that if I use 6 of the little wavy washers from McMaster then the SS Star works okay. Either use the delrin as you did , use wavy washers or use additional 3-18 washers and the star will work without Adam feeling much pain from his design.

I am satisfied that I can make mine work and get rid of the plastic stars.

Dwight

Three se7ens

I think delrin would be a good candidate for that washer.  I will have some cut next week, and send them out to everyone who has already purchased stars, and include them with the stars in the future.

thinkwahoo

Another option is to make some longer drag spacers either from brass tubing, or brass bar stock. This will eliminate the need for additional 3-18 washers or delrin washers. You still will need at least one 3-18 washer to keep the spacer from backing off the star.