slowing down an avet freespool

Started by bestout, April 25, 2015, 11:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 27, 2015, 07:13:47 PM
Quote from: theluckpusher on April 26, 2015, 06:55:15 PM
???so what is the best old school penn for distance cast??? ???
The smallest reel in Hawaii we throw with this much lead weight is Penn's 113HLW.
Thats way too big for me to cast. :( my biggest reel i can cast with ease its torium 30 and the smallest squidder.
The monsters in my head are scared......

johndtuttle

Quote from: bestout on April 27, 2015, 07:55:24 PM
The smallest reel in Hawaii we throw with this much lead weight is Penn's 113HLW.
Thats way too big for me to cast. :( my biggest reel i can cast with ease its torium 30 and the smallest squidder.

You could try rebuilding a Senator 1/0 or 2/0 with a brass spool too....Kinda a lot of weight for an avet.

Stick with pure marine grease to pack the bearings (leave them open). You want the stickiest stuff you can find.

bestout

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 27, 2015, 08:38:26 PM
Quote from: bestout on April 27, 2015, 07:55:24 PM

You could try rebuilding a Senator 1/0 or 2/0 with a brass spool too....Kinda a lot of weight for an avet.

Stick with pure marine grease to pack the bearings (leave them open). You want the stickiest stuff you can find.
actually you read my mind i have taken the shields out, the only marine grease i have its yamaha

Reel 224

Not trying to steal this thread, but I have a Canyon HS-15, and I am wondering if I can add the magnets to the Canyon, and if anyone has added the magnets to try it.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Igor Peric

Problem with rust... (MXL 5.8 MC cast)

bestout

i manage to slow it down with the marine grease havent had any blacklash yet and still casting more than enough

RTT

Hello Igor

I added magnets to my SX and put a nice coat of grease over the magnet and the steel strip that was epoxied to the housing.  After two years, and an annual check up, no problems.

Ray

mbg60

Aloha Igor.  You must not rinse your reel too often, otherwise that shouldn't happen.  And if you greased/oiled your reel properly that WON'T happen.

Mark T.  The only thing I had a hard time getting used to with my Avet's was that there's no "side of spool" to thumb.  The spools are flush with the side plates.  Gotta thumb the line ever so slightly.

All of my Avet's are the MC version except the HXW.  On one of my MXL MC i cleaned out the bearings and put in Reel X.  Even with the mag on 5, the max, I still have problems on the occasional cast with the spool overrunning the line on that reel.  One thing that helped was switching to a larger diameter line but that kind of defeats the purpose of using a lighter line to be able to cast farther.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Igor Peric on May 12, 2015, 10:05:27 PM

Problem with rust... (MXL 5.8 MC cast)

Clean it up then get a nice light coat of marine grease over all those parts.

;)

the rockfish ninja

A good trick to aid in your casting skill development is to use a piece of bicycle innertube on your thumb as an extra skin. You have to find one that fits your thumb diameter snug but not so tight it cuts off your circulation, that would be uncomfortable and cause it to go numb after a while. Once you cut a piece that is the right length so the tip of your thumb is exposed (for control) you'll be able to use the "extra skin" of the inner tube slow the spool without burning the crap out of your thumb. Try it out, I swear by it, and keep a bottle of water handy, prevents too much friction with the rubber inner tube and the line, acts as a lube *plus* it washes the saltwater off. I splash it with fresh water every few casts.

I only use conventionals for surfcasting and still have a backlash every once in a while just from trying to get too aggressive with my force of cast, the only way I've been able to combat that is to mentally say in my mind..."OK.... nice & smooth" each cast. You don't have to use a lot of force in casting conventionals, it's more technique, like a golf stroke instead of swinging for a home run.

Thicker grease helps but the only other options I see are to get your reel magged, or buy an Avet with mag control.

Good luck with it. ;)
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Rare

What pier are you casting that much lead? I never needed more than 6oz to 8oz to cast on my 9 fter with my avet. Even in the keys when i hit the bridges,  6oz to 8oz and have a few hung lead on the powerline out there. I guess the question is what are your targeting with that much lead and that big 12-fter?

bestout

Quote from: Rare on May 14, 2015, 01:22:16 AM
What pier are you casting that much lead? I never needed more than 6oz to 8oz to cast on my 9 fter with my avet. Even in the keys when i hit the bridges,  6oz to 8oz and have a few hung lead on the powerline out there. I guess the question is what are your targeting with that much lead and that big 12-fter?
halouver jetty and sunny isles pier when its rough target PERMIT, KINGS

jaypeegee

Hi

While grease and or thick oil will slow the spool I don't believe this is the best method for you
I say this as Oil/Grease will not give a dependable or consistent slowness as temperature will affect viscosity and the oil/grease effect will change over time with usage.

Static magging a reel is simple and cheap and once setup produces consistent results.

Installing earth magnets for a static mag isn't hard and should be as easy as this

I'm not in America and assume you are so...

Mandatory: Get some magnets. 

Radio Shack or one of it's competitors will sell these. McMasters Carr will also.Actually I imagine that you probably have more places that sell magnets locally than New Zealand does nationwide. Shouldn't be an issue.
I suggest using at least Neodynium N35 strength magnets and using either .5mm, or 1mm thin magnets. I suggest .5mm is best as gives most granularity in making a stack.
N40 will be stronger and more costly by a bit.
N50 more costly by a bit more.

Choosing square, rectangular or disc shaped is irrelevant IMO but make sure that the length/width dimensions aren't too large to fit into the outer circumference of the Avet's cage.

Optional: Get a plate to sit the magnets on.

A large diameter ferrous or stainless steel washer that can be cut into quarters or halves is good as long as it sits within the Avet cage as close to the edge as possible but doesn't impact the spool lip.

Ferrous means that all the magnets will stick but that the washer will have issues with corrosion so it must be covered  before use. (Nail polish or Epoxy resin will work)

Stainless means that you will likely need to glue the base magnet on to this washer but corrosion isn't so much of an issue except where the Alu and SS meet

Better still is cut a semi circular strip out of flat Alu sheet (like a halved or quartered washer would give) that will sit in the  outer part of the Avet cage and not affect the spool lip - You will need to glue the first magnet used to this.

Whichever method you choose for the base will have the magnets sitting as close to the outer edge of the spool as possible, not affect the spool's movement by way of friction (No touchies) and I guess be as square as possible and not be impacted by any outer slope of the avet cage (I haven't my reels in front of me now to check the slope)

To measure the available space:

Get some Bluetack or Playdough or some other squishy substance and pace a small amount on the avet cage where you think is best (as close as possible to the outer edge on the cage)
Gently place the spool back into the cage (With the spindle and washers in place like you are reassembling the reel)

Gently press the spool down till it looks seated correctly.

Remove it and the squishy substance should now be squished to the available clearance.

You can try and peel this off to measure or better, place a stack of .5mm magnets next to it and eyeball the correct amount of magnets to be slightly less than the squished stack. This is why I suggest .5 mm as best.

Then you have a choice.

Either glue 2 or 3 magnets to the base or glue the washer/Alu base to the cage in the optimum position and let the glue set.
I suggest using a ferrous base is best. The chance of corrosion is heightened but the ability to move magnets position outweighs this IMO however YMMV.

Once set, place the stacked magnets in position ensuring that the magnet stack's height is less than the squished material showed previously.

Depending on how much you need to tame the reel try the following options....

One stack of magnets then test

Two stacks of magnets, oriented with the same polarity, one at either end of the glued on base then test

Two stacks of magnets, oriented with reversed polarity, one at either end of the glued on base then test

Three stacks of magnets, oriented with the same polarity, one at either end and one in the middle of the glued on base then test

Three stacks of magnets, oriented with alternate polarity, one at either end and one in the middle of the glued on base then test

The goal is to get the free spool speed to whatever you feel is correct then have a cast.
If too tame then either reduce the proximity of the magnets (Take one of the top of the stack(s) or change the polarity if using two or more stacks or remove a stack etc

I suggest that 7 to 14 seconds freespool time will be the same as an MC with the Magnet set to maximum (This from memory)

I have used this method to static mag an SL20SH and aside from having to add an alu disc to the spool has worked well and is what I base the above on.

Rare

Quotehalouver jetty and sunny isles pier when its rough target PERMIT, KINGS

Oh, love me them permits- kings head more north for a better chance at catching them at the other piers. Newport, current not ripping through there that bad. The jetty, can get nasty when the pomps are running. Anyways, good luck on your casting

Jeri

Hi Bestout,

I read pretty much through all of this thread, and while I am not totally familiar with the rod that you are using, I would suppose like most surf rods for the US market it is quite soft with a through action??? This aspect alone would make casting 8-12oz sinkers very difficult as the recovery of the rod tip after the cast is going to be very erratic and vibrate for quite a while, which in turn causes a lot of disruption to the flight of the sinker, which in turn causes a lot of jerk motions on the line which then transfers down to the reel. All this is going to give the reel a seriously hard time offering line at a smooth and steady rate.

Here in southern Africa, in this big weight category and casting, we use very fast action rods with quite stiff construction, so that upon release the tip of the rod barely vibrates or bounces, the very fast recovery is what give the sinker a smoother flight, as well as the casting technique. I know that these types of rod blanks are scarce in the US.

I would think that when you are using the other reels with this rod, they are slow enough to cope with this erratic line feed issue, and that is why they are working. Also you might well have an amount of spool end float friction 'dialed-up' on these reels – which is something that you can't do with the MXL.

One question which I would ask is why are you using such heavy sinkers, as a change to wired sinkers of a 'breakaway' type might offer better anchorage for your baits, without going so heavy. I a only familiar with Haulover from 20 years ago, and unless it has changed dramatically, a 6oz wire sinker should be able to cope with the flow of the tide going out, and anchor your baits.

At the end of the day, I would think that the MXL is perhaps the wrong reel to be using on such a 'soft' rod. I have been using one on a 14' surf rod for a good few years now, and it works like a dream, but the rod is very stiff in its action, and recovers immediately after the cast. Try getting someone to bend the rod tip to 45 degrees, without any line or anything attached, and then releasing it. If it does more than 1 or 2 oscillations after release to get back to straight, then it is seriously too soft to be launching 8-12oz sinkers, or needs a seriously slow reel to accompany it for casting.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri