500 Jigmaster

Started by SoCalAngler, April 27, 2015, 05:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

My nephew dropped off a 500 for me to look at and it has a issue. When the reel is put into freespool and the spool spun there is a clicking noise. I opened up the reel and the first thing I noticed is where the spool meets the pinion gear there is noticeable wear.Here are some pics of what I found.

First is the right side assembled and I know it is hard to see but there is wear on the pinion.

Second here is the spool model # that came with the reel.

Lastly is a shot of the spool area that comes in contact with the pinion gear. I know it is hard to see but if you look close you can see on the lower left edge and, easier to see in the pic, the upper right edge are of the spool shaft that meets the pinion gear has wear.

Its clear to me that the spool and pinion are rubbing when the reel is in freespool but what can I do to stop this?

foakes

Hi SCA --

First likely culprit --

Disassemble the head plate -- slightly bend the Jack plate ears open a little more -- reassemble with properly greasing the plate, yoke, and inside of the bridge.

Pinion gear should now clear the spool arbor when taken out of gear.

If this cures the issue -- you will likely need a new pinion, then dress the squared arbor on the spool with a file and Emory cloth tape.

This technique will show you whether this is the problem, or not.

Other possibility -- on a free spool drop, the reel was accidentally or unknowingly put partially back in gear, at speed -- thus chewing up the pinion and spool arbor.  Then because the pinion was distorted -- it now makes contact with the spool arbor when in free spool.

These might be your first two places to look -- in this order.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SoCalAngler

Thanks, bending the tabs worked fine.

foakes

Great --

If that is all it was -- your pinion is likely OK to use.

It doesn't look that bad -- what do you think?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SoCalAngler

Well....Its not my reel and my nephew is not even going to fish it. He was given the reel and he may sell it if he can find a buyer. The Jigmaster has the quick remove right sideplate, carbon fiber drags, a metal spool and bushings not bearings but I don't think he will get much as the reel seat and crossbars are pitted pretty good. I told him he could drop a few bucks on it and have a very nice reel but he has other reels in that size he likes better.