The Jigmaster Project

Started by Rothmar2, April 30, 2015, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Quote from: Keta on May 10, 2015, 01:56:51 PM
How many hours do you have in this project?   Your rings are "priceless".

For just the rings? 25-30hrs and counting. Have made 3 sets at this point. This also includes cutting plate with thin cut-off wheels, pre-machining plates to discs, then parting ring blanks from discs, and actually turning rings to final size, drilling holes, de-burring,making drill mandrel and first stage polishing.
I managed to locate a water-cutter at home, but they wanted $15/ring blank to cut them. I had already tossed up $80 for the 8mm 316 Plate (400 x 400), and still have 6mm plate left over from 6/0 project.
As for lock screws, with lathe set up, 20mins each. Have made a few of varying dimensions, going to get Mike to see what he thinks of them. Trying to make them a little easier to get a decent grip on. Will elaborate later.
As for "pondering" time, with working out what I will ultimately modify, few more hours there.
Have also been making plans to build a SS frame for this as well. I'm using the Daiwa project as the test dummy for that.

mike1010

Beautiful work.  I am in awe.

bestout

The monsters in my head are scared......

Marcq

What can I say, WOW  8)

Marc..

Mattman NZ

Excellent workmanship there Rotmar2.

Rothmar2

So got home a few days ago, and have finished this first little batch off.
Set a calico polishing wheel on my drill, fix drill in vice, and apply some Bordo Stainless Steel compound to the wheel and give the outside surfaces a good buff. Pretty happy with the results after about 10mins/ring.

Engrave some ID onto the inside face

Also some fine tidying up on the lock screws on my mini-lathe at home

A few different subtle sizes for Mike to decide which one he likes, and can knock more up at a later stage

Mike, will get these off in the Mail this week, let me know how it all goes together for you. Have test fitted them on my JM, no problems.
Be great if you could get a few pix up of your reels with the rings fitted.

basto

Very very nice!!!!!  Love your work.
More power to you.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mhc

Another job well done, you've got a lot of talent and the patience to back it up.
I've got an older maroon/brown set of plates and a newer black set to try them on - I'm looking forward to it and will post a few photos.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

It's back to lathe school for me :D
Great work Chris.

jigmaster501

Rothmar,

Now that you have mastered the art of stainless jigmaster rings, do you think that you can do these in a sort of mass production run???

Maybe ten sets with those nice locking nuts????

To be honest, the polishing is beautiful but as long as it is functional and burr free, it wouldn't be necessary.

With everyone on here needing your rings, you would have a full time job for sure.....

Rothmar2

Good question JM 501. I would be keen to do a run, if I could get onto a CNC machinist who isn't going to charge an arm and leg to produce them.
The hand turning I have shown here is more of a labour of love thing really. I put the detail into the posts I make so that people can maybe follow what I have done to attempt them themselves, should they desire.
I do most of the machining at work, in my own time, after working a full day. I'm a marine engineer, working in a hot environment, and after some days, I just don't feel up to putting in another 6hrs of work to produce these parts in large volumes. I tend to make these bit by bit, doing a couple of hours every other day.
The other limiting factor is I'm a fly-in, fly out worker. There is only so much I can carry to and from work.
Robert Jansen has suggested lathe spinning as an alternative to the full machining as I have shown. I am keen to try it, but I have not been able to track down anyone who knows anything about it to show me how to do it, or the tools required. I believe this would be best way to produce these in quantity. Sadly at this point, I have no knowledge or skills in this technique. I've just conjured these rings purely from what I can currently access.

mhc

I have taken a few photo's of Rothmar2's SS rings on a couple of reels.
One is 501 width using newer USA 500 black plates and the other a tiburon framed 500 with older brown/maroon plates.
The rings fit both sets of plates perfectly as you can see in the photos.

Chris also made three locking screws for the removable plate, one sits a bit higher and is easier to grip, the other two sit around the same height as the stock screw and one of the std height ones has a wider knurled area you can see this in the photos Chris posted above. The higher one is easier to grip and is my preference at this stage - without having used them.

Thanks again Chris, your enthusiasm for classic reels shows in your effort and quality workmanship.

Michael

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rothmar2

Thanks for posting those photos Mike. Sweet looking little reels.
Those handles make them look pretty tough. Are they Kolekar's from Alan T?
Have you put Alan C internals in them by chance?

Marcq

steelfish

This is going to be good..
The Baja Guy