The Jigmaster Project

Started by Rothmar2, April 30, 2015, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Chris, that is simply amazing.  Thank you for sharing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rothmar2

I have almost finished an aluminium frame to go with my Cortez plates. Just got to finish the polishing then its off to an anodizer to get a clear coat for the frame, and will probably get black done for the reel seat. Am thinking I will go a black spool, and have some black/white acrylic swirl stock to remake the handle to tie it all together. That will see this reel finished. The stainless frame will then got to the Franken-jiggy, and have a few things to do to that before it will be complete.

Could one of the moderators please fix the photo orientations?...still having all sorts of trouble with that. I wish that rotation function actually worked in the Gallery Pic. Editor. Thanks in advance.

Alto Mare

Gorgeous Chris! one of the best frame I've seen

Keep up your great work!...and thanks for making us part of it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

The polishing is coming along nicely, it's looking great! That will be a pretty solid base for your Cortez plates - I'm looking forward to seeing it and the franken-jiggy side by side, they will make an awesome pair.
Thanks for keeping us up to date with your epic Jigmaster project(s).

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Chris! Looks good in either direction. Great work!

...............Lou

Tiddlerbasher

Rothmar2

Thanks chaps and to Sal for the photo fix. Off to the anodisers this morning, see how it comes out. Will post up some pix when I get the frame back.

Rothmar2

The Cortez Jiggy got a bit of a workout on Wednesday, with a trip to the far SW Islands of Tasmania that make up the Maatsuyker Group. A 65lber was bought to the boat in under 10mins, with the drag pretty well buttoned down. We had a couple more bluefin on the Jiggy reel, but hooks pulled soon after the strike, probably due to running a too-short a mono top shot.
On the same day, my fishing partner broke a reasonably long standing 8kg test Bluefin State record by landing a 32.7kg model after 2 and 3/4hrs (Reel was a Shimano TLD 15). Between the 2 of us we actually beat the previous record 3 times over on the day, but Simon's fish will hopefully go to the books after the paperwork and testing has been submitted.

A couple of pix of the Cortez in action. I'd have more but still having trouble with photo orientation.

No word from the anodizer as yet about the ally frame.

mhc

Another solid workout for your upgraded jigmasters Chris, good to see all your work has been worthwhile.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Excellent report on your masterpiece Chris, with some nice fishing to boot. Must give you great satisfaction bringing in that type of fish with something you've created.
Keep up your excellent work and thanks for sharing it with us.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 09, 2018, 09:30:22 AM
The Cortez Jiggy got a bit of a workout on Wednesday, with a trip to the far SW Islands of Tasmania that make up the Maatsuyker Group. A 65lber was bought to the boat in under 10mins, with the drag pretty well buttoned down. We had a couple more bluefin on the Jiggy reel, but hooks pulled soon after the strike, probably due to running a too-short a mono top shot.
On the same day, my fishing partner broke a reasonably long standing 8kg test Bluefin State record by landing a 32.7kg model after 2 and 3/4hrs (Reel was a Shimano TLD 15). Between the 2 of us we actually beat the previous record 3 times over on the day, but Simon's fish will hopefully go to the books after the paperwork and testing has been submitted.

A couple of pix of the Cortez in action. I'd have more but still having trouble with photo orientation.

No word from the anodizer as yet about the ally frame.

Great!

Was the TLD stock?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Decker

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 09, 2018, 09:30:22 AM

Chris, this is great!   Sharing your reel-crafting process, and then the catch.   Helps a Yankee get through the winter!

The photo-orientation thing is a pain.   I posted some technical information about it, and will put it here later when I find the post.  Basically there is orientation data stored by your camera on each photo, so that the photos can be stored uniformly.  This is done for efficiency in recording/storing the photo files.  Some programs read this orientation data; some do not.  The code used to display our web pages on the site does not.

The simplest solution that I know of is to import all the photos to your PC, then run a program that reads the orientation data, and rearranges the physical orientation of the photo file - i.e. landscape is stored as landscape, and portrait as portrait.  I'll get the name of a program later and post here.  What is nice about this type of program is that you can run it against hundreds of photos in one sweep.

If there is only one or two photos you want to fix, you can generally open the photo in Windows Photo (or Photo Editor), make some change, set the orientation you would like to see, and save the changes.

Cheers,

/Joe

UPDATE: This article explains the EXIF orientation coding well, and offers some solutions:  https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

Rothmar2

Thanks Joe for the reminder, I will get onto it soon. Had a couple of hard days since this fishing day. I got back into phone range from this trip to find out my 17 yo daughter was in hospital with possible breast cancer. Fortunately she has been cleared of that, but will still require surgery on Tues to remove the benign growth in her chest. So a stressful week ahead.
John, stock TLD's but prepped as per the site mantra. Although Simon is asking for me to make custom T-bars after the extended battle!

bhale1

Chris,
Great work and great fishing pics.....but I just wish you and your daughter the best...scary!!!!!!
Brett

Tiddlerbasher

Thanks for the ride Chris.
So sorry to hear about your daghter, at leat it's not the big 'C'. Worrying times. I remember when my wife was diagnosed with cancer. She is now a 20yr survivor :)