Yet another one for Ben (Alan's Co-worker)

Started by Jon Vadney, May 01, 2015, 01:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

Phenix PHD700XH, Fuji SiNII guides, Forecast EasyTight seat, acid wrapped.

alantani

we just need to get this guy out fishing.  i imagine we're way past invoking rule #2. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alans Buddy

Jon Vadney

Quote from: alantani on May 01, 2015, 01:38:18 AM
we just need to get this guy out fishing.  i imagine we're way past invoking rule #2. 
Hahahahahahaha thanks Alan!

thorhammer

when i go stuff all my rods in the trash its gonna look like a 55 gallon porcupine....

fIsHsTiiCkS

Man, he has a whole new line up of rods just from you Jon. Lucky bastard!!! Nice work!

Jon Vadney

wva custom rods

work of art Jon, i tip my hat sir !

how to you get such a neat epoxy edge on the eva ? (something i always struggle with)

Jon Vadney

Quote from: wva custom rods on June 14, 2015, 10:48:08 PM
work of art Jon, i tip my hat sir !

how to you get such a neat epoxy edge on the eva ? (something i always struggle with)
Thanks man :)

First off...I'm ridiculous in my methods of applying finish.  I usually use NO less than 4 coats.  Sometimes up to 6.  With that being said....my coats are PAPER thin. I've found that to get a nice clean edge up there, the best way to do it is this: apply finish ONLY on the threads (do not go past them onto the hypalon) for the first few coats.  Go slightly past them on your last 2 coats and it should end up being pretty clean.  Hypalon will never give as clean of an edge as EVA.  On EVA I can get the edge to look like it's on a rod blank, not so much why hypo :(

Example of a ramp on EVA:

Mudman

How do acid wraps compare to a light roller? I sure do like the looks much more of spiral guides.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Mudman on November 19, 2015, 07:46:39 AM
How do acid wraps compare to a light roller? I sure do like the looks much more of spiral guides.

Acid wraps and rollers are two different types of guides serving two different purposes.  Whatever anyone says, the LEAST amount of line wear will come from a well maintained roller ("well maintained" being key here).  Acid wrapped rods are designed to eliminate torque on the rod caused by the pressure of the line pushing downward on the blank.  The line wants to go to the bottom and pull the blank down rather than push it down from the top.  By spiral wrapping, the pressure on the guides under the rod will stabilize the blank in the "reel up" orientation.  I have acid wrapped every one of my personal rods for at least the last 10 years and we use ringed guides on rods for tuna up to 400 pounds. 

Mudman

Thanks for the explanation Jon. Rookies like me are easily confused.  ;)

The swimbait rods I've been using for Saltwater are all acid wrapped, never knew why. I just knew they were pretty dang cool looking.